Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

RC7-GS Setting Battery Capacity

Hello all,

I just installed four new 6 volt Interstate deep cycle flooded acid batteries. The sticker on them states: 115mins @ 75 amp 225 Ah @ 20 hr.

So what should my RC7 be set at for battery capacity?

Should I set it at 1000 hrs since I have four 225 Ah batts?

What should I set for charge rate? 100%?, 90%

The RC7 is currently showing absorption charge mode and it states 75% state of charge. It's been that way for about an hour.

irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since the batteries are in 2 parallel sets you have 450 ah so set it at 500.
80% rate of charge is a good set point.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Since the batteries are in 2 parallel sets you have 450 ah so set it at 500.
80% rate of charge is a good set point.
Thank you Jim!

So why 80%? Is that to prevent over charging?
Old 06-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That last 20% takes hours to fill. Not usually worth running the generator to get to 100%.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That last 20% takes hours to fill. Not usually worth running the generator to get to 100%.
That makes sense. I'm dry camping for a couple of days so I have the generator on for awhile to make sure the new batts are charged up.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #6

Charge rate controls how many amps your charger outputs, in bulk mode, into the batteries when the they are low. To high a charge rate can overheat the batteries.

Charge rate should be set to about 15% flooded batteries AH capacity. In your case about 70 amps.

Inverter/chargers come with different capacity chargers. If yours is a 100 amp model then setting the charge rate at 70% would be right. If Its a 125 amp inverter/charger, then somewhere around 65%.

If you had a 6 or 8 battery bank or AGM batteries, then the charge rate could be set higher.

It has nothing to do with charging the batteries to 80% while dry camping.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the two setup choices from the manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	251639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	251640  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Thank you all for the great info!

irishguy
Old 06-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

And irishguy, just as more info. When combing 6V's to become a 12V, your AH's C20 rating of the batteries remains the same. So for you, you now three pairs of 6V as 12V, so X's3 of the 225AH for 675AH 'House AH Capacity'. Usual rule of thumb is to live on the top 50% of house battery, so your coach would 337.5 available AH.

If you don't already have a Battery Monitor, that would be a good future addition to your rig, so you know where your battery capacity is.

I personally do not like to run down to 50% of available capacity. For two reasons: 1) I like reserve power if ever needed; 2) Shallower draw down and recharging of your battery bank, will yield longer years of usage. (It's all bout DoD Life Cycles. One draw down to 50% SOC, and then recharge to 100% = 1 Life Cycle.) I live on the top 75% of our battery bank, so it takes two full down to 75% and back up to 100% to yield 1 Life Cycle. No, will not get double the years, but I might get quite a few more years!.

And many other prefer to run down to the 50-60% SOC level. I've heard opinions from those using say Costco or Walmart/SAM's GC2 6V's, that they'd rather replace them more frequently and have 'fresher' batteries after replacement. Then having a more expensive pair of say AGM's that are not as deeply cycled, and getting more years out of them. No right or wrong on this, just choices!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
And irishguy, just as more info. When combing 6V's to become a 12V, your AH's C20 rating of the batteries remains the same. So for you, you now three pairs of 6V as 12V, so X's3 of the 225AH for 675AH 'House AH Capacity'. Usual rule of thumb is to live on the top 50% of house battery, so your coach would 337.5 available AH.

If you don't already have a Battery Monitor, that would be a good future addition to your rig, so you know where your battery capacity is.

I personally do not like to run down to 50% of available capacity. For two reasons: 1) I like reserve power if ever needed; 2) Shallower draw down and recharging of your battery bank, will yield longer years of usage. (It's all bout DoD Life Cycles. One draw down to 50% SOC, and then recharge to 100% = 1 Life Cycle.) I live on the top 75% of our battery bank, so it takes two full down to 75% and back up to 100% to yield 1 Life Cycle. No, will not get double the years, but I might get quite a few more years!.

And many other prefer to run down to the 50-60% SOC level. I've heard opinions from those using say Costco or Walmart/SAM's GC2 6V's, that they'd rather replace them more frequently and have 'fresher' batteries after replacement. Then having a more expensive pair of say AGM's that are not as deeply cycled, and getting more years out of them. No right or wrong on this, just choices!

Best to you,
Smitty
4, 6volt batteries.

He installed 4 batteries, not 6 of them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
4, 6volt batteries.

He installed 4 batteries, not 6 of them.
Thx's Twinboat - I did misread, thought it was 6. (The good part about my missing things now, is after about an hour - I forgot I missed something!).

So 450AH House, 225AH useable to 50% SOC.

Appreciate your polite 'Smitty - You blew it again!' post.

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #12

Thanks Smitty, I figured you thought I had six house batts.

Our Windsor does have a battery monitoring system which I do watch closely.

I hadn't considered the chassis batteries but from what I have read after the house batts are charged then the system charges both 12 volt chassis batteries as well.

irishguy

Tags
battery