Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

Rear brake slack adjuster. How much grease?

Anyone know how much to grease the rear axle brake slack adjusters with? There isn't anyplace visible to see grease purge out when greasing so I don't want to over do it and possibly get grease on brake linings.
I checked the owners manual but it really wasn't very specific. I'm thinking 1 or 2 shots with the pneumatic grease gun. Appreciate any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Commercial Member

The grease only reaches the adjustment worm gear. It does not enter the brake area. Usually it will come out around the adjustment bolt, just wipe it off.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 06-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Anyone know how much to grease the rear axle brake slack adjusters with? There isn't anyplace visible to see grease purge out when greasing so I don't want to over do it and possibly get grease on brake linings.
I checked the owners manual but it really wasn't very specific. I'm thinking 1 or 2 shots with the pneumatic grease gun. Appreciate any help.
Are you referring to the S cam tube? If so there is a seal at the cam end and once the tube fills grease will come out at the slack adjuster end. I you really are talking about the slack adjuster, grease can't get from there to the linings.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #4

First that should be a clay based grease so it can withstand the heat. Not sure if you are talking about drum brakes or disc brakes. My discs have no grease fittings but my tag axle drums do. Talked to several heavy truck guys about that and the all just a couple of pumps on the grease gun and not to look for it coming out anywhere. Anymore than that can result in grease on the drums and linings if your brakes get hot. On my design slack adjusters you can get grease to come out if you keep pumping it it and it will drop down on the linings because I don't have back covers on my drum brakes.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake