RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear Camera

This has probably been hashed over a few times so please bear with me. I have a Sony rear camera in my 04 HR Imperial that has failed. I get sound only and have plugged it into the dash monitor to no avail, still dead. I want to replace it but there aren't any available units out there for less than pure gold so I'm looking to use another arrangement.

I've found several small cameras that will fit in the space available that have simple 12VDC and Video RCA connections. I also have a flip down display mounted under the TV cabinet that I use as a "heads up" display to avoid looking at the dash to see where I've been and the Aladdin data display. This has an unused video input that I'd like to use to give me a "rear view". The little cams say they are rear view cams but do not tell me if they reverse the image so I can get a right reading image on the display up front. Does anyone here know if these cams reverse?

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

I would think that if they are marketed as a backup camera it would have the reverse image. I installed several of the cheaper cameras on my previous rig and they were configured that way. The only sure fire way would be to contact the seller. I just installed a cheapie monitor to mirror my Aladdin dash monitor and the new one also had the ability to select a reverse image. You might check and see if yours might also have that feature just in case your new camera did not.

falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I contacted Tadi Brothers yesterday and they have an adaptor cable that will adapt the little cams to the Sony system cable. I ordered on and they called asking for pix of the connector to be sure they got the right one. Simply adapting an aftermarket cam to the Sony system will immensely simplify the process. Hope it works!!
Ron
Old 11-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a similar failure of the Sony and elected to install a replacement camera that fit the space and had the desired wide-angle range. Problem for us (we didn't realize it at the time) is that it did not reverse the image. The camera works great, but it still confuses me every-now-and-then when my peripheral vision catches an image in the monitor of a car passing on the right (that is REALLY passing on the left). \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

I recently replaced the monitor and camera with this one and used the existing wiring.
The flat panel color display is great, and distance lines when in reverse.
Backup Camera System For Trailers with 7" LCD Screen by Rear View Safety
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I fixed it. The cable I got didn't have the right DIN connector on it to fit the Sony Proprietary cable. (I hate Sony!!!!!!!!!!!) I Called Tadi Bros and they had no solution for me so I cut off the connector on the dead Sony camera and stripped all the wires. The video wire is easy to find in that it is shielded. There is another wire with 12VDC on it so I used that to power the little cube cam I bought. Had to cut up an old RCA cable to get a connector to fit the cam but everything now works just like it did before. Comically there are parking guide lines in the new cam so if i ever back up I have a guide!!

OBTW total cost is around $20 for the cam and a few hours figuring it out.

Ron
Old 11-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A thank you to TadiBros. They helped on the phone and are refunding the cable I bought.

Ron

Tags
camera