Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear curb bay with inverter, what do you store here?

I have a 2006 Diplomat. The last bay on the curb side is plastic lined with my inverter taking up slightly less than half the space. I'm thinking about putting my toolbox in a aluminum frame and tie down straps. I am curious what others use the free space for? Any concerns about heat, ventilation, out gassing or any other problems sharing this space with the inverter
Thanks
Doug
RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I have always just used it for storage and currently have my air compressor there

Mike
Old 10-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #3

I keep my towing gear in there with the inverter.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 10-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #4

I put my cooler there. A lot easier to get it in and out of that space than the storage bays. A friend questioned my judgement of putting potentially wet items with the inverter so I did add a drain relief.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

I can fit a bundle of firewood on top of the invertor and my full size toolbox next to it.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #6

I store my stinky slinkies in a plastic tub (sealed) in the compartment. Put it as far from the driver's seat as possible!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #7

Towing gear, some fluids, and portable pressure washer.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
I have a 2006 Diplomat. The last bay on the curb side is plastic lined with my inverter taking up slightly less than half the space. I'm thinking about putting my toolbox in a aluminum frame and tie down straps. I am curious what others use the free space for? Any concerns about heat, ventilation, out gassing or any other problems sharing this space with the inverter
Thanks
Doug
That compartment is well ventilated with a fan at the rear and intake air port in front of the inverter. There is a snap disk above the inverter for controlling the fan. You can just short across the snap disk and the fan should run. That is an easy way to check the fan. I would not worry about things getting to hot inside. Here is a photo of what the snap disk looks like. Just look above the inverter.

PS. Don't be confused by the large black and red battery cables. You don't have those as I added those.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I tried putting my Mother-In-Law in there... still heard her.

Now I keep daily campsite things in that compartment. Awning tie-downs, camp-rug, patio lites, bug-coils, an extension cord, etc. Things that would get used almost daily whenever we set up camp for the night or whenever.

Not sure I'd stow flammables or wet stuff, but that's just me.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

I keep my toolbox in there. Found that its just warm enough to keep the humidity from rusting my tools when the weather changes.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #11

Rocky
We have enough room to store an axe in ours. I put the axe back after using it and was not very careful about slamming the door. The handle pushed against the inverter and 'reset' the breaker. Electricity went out, and I guessed it was the 'salesman switch' first and several other things to no avail. Luckily a buddy was present and noticed/heard the electricity went out about the same time as I slammed the door (he didn't know what was in that bay). He actually found what had happened as I was fuming a bit. Wonder how long it would have taken me to figure it out? So, you are wise to consider what is near your inverter.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I cut a 6" hole in the ceiling of the storage bay up into an otherwise useless area under the washing machine (which opens into the bedroom). Now the cat has a way outside through the storage bay door that is propped open when we are parked. I also keep the cat's litter box in there so we don't have to smell it.
Gary8346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have kept my toolbox in there for the last 5 years - no problem. But my toolbox is plastic. Mine also has the snap dic regulated fan in case it gets hot in there.
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter