Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear Diff oil done today in my Camelot

Ok,

The total capacity of my Spicer 21060S Rear Diff is a total of 14 qt in the book. Today I drained my rear diff and only could only get 10.5 qt back in and it's level with the bottom of the fill plug.
Since I didn't measure the amount I drain (naturally, this time I tell myself I won't need it) I can't compare what came out. I know there is some still down at the hubs but it seems like it should take just a bit more.
Is this expected?

Thanks,
Don
Don_SueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Drive up on about 4" on leveling blocks/boards on one side let it sit about ten minutes. back to level, wait ten minutes...check, top if necessary. Same for other side. Only way to be sure that wheel bearings are oiled and level is correct.

In theory if you were perfectly level all would be good with the first fill. Murphy says theory doesn't always work in real life. A little extra time is cheap insurance.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Drive with no fluid in the diff?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Drive with no fluid in the diff?
Yes. All surfaces are coated from previous oil and there is no heat buildup moving the coach a few inches. And......he did get over 10 qts back in as she sits.

Found this info in an old thread from Mike Canter:

"It is very important that after you fill it that you drive it and get the oil warm and check the level again because the oil flows out into the outer wheel bearing hubs through small holes. To get the oil through these small holes correctly the level has to be maintained all the way to the bottom lip of the filler plug and not a 1/4" or a 1/2" down."

I think I would take Twomed's suggestion on driving up on boards and adding what is necessary. And, being somewhat "anal", would then drive it until the oil warmed up and re-check it just to be sure.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks,

Makes sense. Each wheel end holds about a pint and a half. That accounts for some and I can see how, especially gear oil, can coat everything. I'll tilt the coach either side and check/fill and then also run it some to warm things up and keep filling.
Coach was level when I did this maintenance. I drove it home from the auto hobby shop and took the plug out again and some came dribbling out.

Thanks,

Don
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

At what milage intervil are you changing the rear gear lube?
promine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did it at 60K. I knew the history of every fluid in my RV except that one. When I'd check the level it was pretty black so since I was getting ready to go on a longer trip I figured I'd do it.
The bottom magnetic plug just had very little black metal dust on it and the fluid actually looked better than I thought but now it's nice and clean, AND, I know the history. Valvoline SynPower 75W90.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I went out and warmed up the diff and found a couple of places on the side of the road with a good "right wing down" angle and parked there for a just a bit. Went back and refilled the diff. Took just a bit more. Did the same with "left wing down" just to be sure. I think I'm good.
BTW, the book only says that the axle needs to be tilted (book says 8 inches actually) if the wheel ends were removed which I didn't do. Taking it out, warming it up and tilting to either side had the axle take just a bit more. I feel much better and ready for my next trip.

Don