Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear drum backing plates

Lubing chassis on 2008 Monaco Diplomat RR8R, no backing plates in rear drum brakes is this normal. The drum and brake shoes are totally visible water and road grime could easily end up in the drum.
GDwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It's normal.
They would not be much protection against water since they are a loose fit (think how your disc brakes are exposed). In the trucking industry they are typically found removed so the owner/driver can easily inspect the lining wear and oil seal.

If it was my coach, I would leave them installed and just remove annually for inspection. If I did not have them already installed (which I do not on my tag axle), I would not spend the money to buy a set.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes that is normal. No backing plates, the shoes are exposed. This allows a quick visual of your shoes as well as looking for signs of oil and allows the use of a go/no go gauge without having to pull tires and drums to check.

Mike
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We did not have backing plates on our coach
when we bought it. No problem......UNTIL.
We drove through a snow storm, wet road slush.
Parked in an rv park for the night. In the morning,
fired up, aired up, released the brakes, and the coach

did not move. Touched the throttle and heard a clunk,
but the coach moved. Felt like the back brakes had locked
and then released.
Same thing the next morning.
Made it home and parked for a couple of weeks in warm

weather. Took it in to the shop and they found nothing wrong.
They then said we had no backing plates and asked if we drove through
heavy rain or snow. We told him the story.
They felt the shoes got wet, stuck overnight, and had dried out
when we got home.
He did say that there is a possibility of hitting the brakes and them
locking up when they get like that. We installed plates. ($30/plate)

Disc brakes are totally different than drums.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I worked as a truck mechanic in the north (many many years ago), I would come across trucks with the drum brakes frozen (the lining freezes to drum) due to water sitting in drum overnight.

But this happened whether or not there was a backing plate installed. Having a backing plate just seemed to add an extra step to the repair (the removal of the backing plate).

Since the drum generates heat during braking operation any snow or water that hits the drum/lining while in operation is not an issue - it's just the morning start up where this shows.

Now it may be true that the total number of frozen brakes was higher on the trucks without backing plates - that I don't know.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

We had backing plates on our snow fighting trucks, they all still froze overnight.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote