Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Personal preference IMHO, mine is off...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Love the look but hate cleaning up the rocks off the driveway every time I pull it out of the garage. Driveway is gravel and on an incline.
So after a few times, that got old! Saving it for the next owner

Edit: did notice any change in engine temps so far......
Old 03-27-2020, 04:27 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I had the same..... Until I raised it 1 Link.... No more.
Ditto
Old 03-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried something really unheard of - I actually read the mfg installation instructions.

They recommend 4 to 5 inches of clearance between the bottom of the flap and the ground when your MH is sitting on level ground.

If it's long enough it drags, it will surely kick up whatever is laying on the ground/pavement.

I cut 3 inches off mine to ensure it was high enough to allow the proper clearance. No problem with debris hitting my towed.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #33

I have mine adjusted with about 4 or 5 inches clearance. I have towed over 130,000 miles all over US and Canada, including Alaska a year ago. I use no rock guard or other protection beyond the flap. The front of my toad has a few small nicks, not much more than it would have from 130,000 miles normal driving.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
One other hazard that a lot of RV owners apparently don't realize is the rear ladder attached to the coach has a limited weight bearing capacity.

My last trip I think I witnessed the current world record right in front of me. The gentleman was carrying:

A-frame fiberglass ladder
2 bicycles
1 large umbrella
Some type of coiled hose or cable
Large sewer tote.

.....all strapped to the rear ladder.

All I could think about was the opening scene to the "Beverly Hillbillies" TV series [emoji16]
Welcome to the world of RV'ing. 1st they overload the rv, then load up the ladder then extend the rear bumper to add even more!
I pulled my flap due to rocks kicked up on the toad.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #35

Mud flaps and rocks

So I am really curious...Do all of you anti-mud flap folks think that by removing your flap your tires quite picking up rocks and throwing them off towards the rear of the vehicle? I think this is unlikely and a properly installed flap will keep the trajectory of these rocks from hitting the front of your toad. I have followed trucks on the interstate where the flap has worn off or is missing and I have noticed a considerable increase amount of rocks coming off those tires. There is a reason why flaps are required on trucks in many states. https://www.minimania.com/pdfile/Mud_Flap_Laws_NETA.pdf
Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2875 View Post
So I am really curious...Do all of you anti-mud flap folks think that by removing your flap your tires quite picking up rocks and throwing them off towards the rear of the vehicle? I think this is unlikely and a properly installed flap will keep the trajectory of these rocks from hitting the front of your toad. I have followed trucks on the interstate where the flap has worn off or is missing and I have noticed a considerable increase amount of rocks coming off those tires. There is a reason why flaps are required on trucks in many states. https://www.minimania.com/pdfile/Mud_Flap_Laws_NETA.pdf
The required flaps behind my dualies do that.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #37

I’ve heard it can mess with cooling on DP’s. I like the way they look on class A DP, but I have a class C and hate the look when mounted to the rear bumper. I’m thinking of adding the one that has sliced sections, but install it to my chassis behind the rear wheels. anyone else mount it this way?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One side of the flap on my Scepter pulled loose, I dragged it for quite a ways and rocks beat the crap out of my new stacker. Went with a Towtector. Love that thing.
keef95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MoWi View Post
I see several coaches that retain them, and some that have them removed.
Some say that they tend to create turbulence behind them which stirs up road debris which gets eaten by your toad.
I'm entertaining removing mine.
My experience is better with them removed. I had 2006 Dutch Star - had it on it- tore it off twice and managed do drag it around a lot. Thought it would protect tow vehicle. I then got a Ventana Le - didn't have one. No issues and less rocks being thrown against tow vehicle!

Now have a 2020 Ventana - has it on it. Its parked and haven't had a problem with it - but if it drags and gets taken off- I will not replace it. Bottomline, think it is more for looks - turbulence it causes is real!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #40

I have a toad behind me, in 2 1/2 years I don’t have any rock chips on the car. Met a fellow motorhome owner towing without a full width flap and the front of his toad looks like he shot it with a shot gun. When he saw mine he ordered a full width flap.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2009 Newmar Dutch Star had the usual Newmar full width flap. It began to sag, so we had the top edge reinforced with a L-bar all the way across. We also had a mesh cover over the tow bar to protect the toad from flying rocks. Then as we were driving across Eastern Oregon on Highway 20, we ran over a dead dog in the middle of the lane (didn't hit it with any wheels, just passed over it). The flap sent the carcass flying up - detached one side of the flap, took out the connector for our Air Force One toad brake, and splashed blood all over the car. We didn't realize any of this until we were stopped at a light in Burns, OR, and some pedestrians pointed at our rear, where the flap and air line were dragging on the road. When we got to the RV park a few blocks away, we tossed the now bent flap into the dumpster, and washed the car. Had to wait til we were down the road to get the Air Force One repaired. Didn't replace the flap and drove a whole lot more miles, including a trip to Alaska, without any chip problems on the toad. Now we have a Bay Star Sport - no flap.
2019 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2702 - our cute little thing NKK#19080
bakntep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #42

Mud flap

I don’t understand why anyone would remove proven protection for their toad ?
Starchase is offline   Reply With Quote