Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

Rear Marker lights will not come on. 2006 Lapalma

I am looking for information of wire routing and fuses for the rear marker lights, mine have no power.
2006 La Palma (Monaco)

On one set of prints, for a 2005 Vacationer, is says the wire is dark brown.

On another set of prints the fuses are in Monaco 3, and shown as fuse 65 in the front distribution panel.

I have found Monaco 3 and the relay for the markers on the RV.

A can not find the wire routing to the back

Thanks for the reply.

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My front and back top marker lights aren't working so I'm going to follow this.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
My front and back top marker lights aren't working so I'm going to follow this.
There are 2 fuses listed in my manual.
Both are in the front roadside compartment.

There is a fuse the the front distribution fuse panel # 65.

The is another listed in Monaco 3 panel labeled marker lights.

The relay is located in Monaco 3 and is labeled marker lights.

If both front and back are out I would start there.

Mine unfortunately looks like a broken feed wire or ground wire to the rear marker light circuit. I need to trace the wires.

Bob
Old 10-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You, I will look. I won't be back to the motorhome for about ten days.

Tim
Old 10-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

Rear Cap Connection location?

I have traced out the wires the best I can. I can route a new marker and ground from the trailer plug wiring, but I would really like to repair the issue.

The wires at the rear marker lights have no power or ground. The fuses are good, and the other marker lights work, front and both sides,

To do this I need to locate the rear cap connection. Or find the routing of the wires.

Any help would be welcomed.

Snow in October is nasty.

A very cold snowbird.

Bob
Old 10-31-2020, 06:42 AM   #6
YC1

Signal tracers are relatively cheap these days and most do it yourselfers need one at some time in these beasts.

Do some search on them and you will discover a new tool.

It certainly could be a simple connection needing exercise. If you pull the light out that does not work have you tried pulling the wires out as far as possible? You may discover a connection there.

Are you losing 12 volts to the light or ground???

A 12 volt test light and long wire attached to a solid ground is great when chasing bad light issues. A voltmeter can lead you down the wrong path with weak connections. A test light will put a bit of a load on the wire there is nothing like getting a nice bright light when diagnosing things. I have two test lights in case one breaks. One must be over 40 years old now.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #7

I have pulled the camera assembly and looked in through the hole there. I have removed all of the ceiling fixtures and speakers in the rear bedroom and looked up there with a camera.

I looks like a "rodent visitor" was there.

I have pulled a new set of wires in from the hitch to the rear camera, through the side of the rear cap. A REAL PITA.

The lights work fine when powered by the battery directly from the new wiring.

To finish it I will connect each wire, ground and the power, individually, to see which is broke, then leave both in place.

I thought about a signal tracer, but dismissed that as I can't see where the wirings are run at all. You have to get close to find the wires.

If anything gained,
I now know why there are 2 fuses for the marker lights.

Thanks for the reply

Bob
Old 11-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
There are 2 fuses listed in my manual.
Both are in the front roadside compartment.

There is a fuse the the front distribution fuse panel # 65.

The is another listed in Monaco 3 panel labeled marker lights.

The relay is located in Monaco 3 and is labeled marker lights.

If both front and back are out I would start there.

Mine unfortunately looks like a broken feed wire or ground wire to the rear marker light circuit. I need to trace the wires.

Bob
I have the wiring diagrams for my coach including my top front and back clearance lights. They are thru a relay that gets it's signal from the VIP wheel controller. (ICC lights) I have already changed out the VIP controller for a new one to fix a cruise control problem that ended up being the slipring. I have changed out the ICC relay (standard 30Amp) There is something weird going on. When I turn on the headlights, and then shut them off, they won't shut off. I have to unplug J12 from the VIP controller to shut them off. With J12 unplugged all lights work except the top front and rear clearance lights.(plus the ICC controls don't work) I have attached both the wiring diagrams for coach and the VIP system. Hopefully someone here will see something I have missed.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance lights.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	309167   Click image for larger version

Name:	VIP smart wheel.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	309168  

Old 11-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #9

Tim, When I got my coach, an 04 Windsor, I had head light fuse blowing in the Monaco 2 fuse box because someone had changed out the Hamsar DRL module with a relay. The socket is a normal relay socket, but when you look at the schematic it has ground on a weird place and with the park brake off head lights on, turn or flash the high beams on, the relay would fire and blow the fuse in the Monaco 2 fuse box. I dont know if it would be the same setup on your coach.

During that search I struggled to understand why the marker lights needed to go thru the smart wheel controller, and its more to allow the steering wheel to blink the lights. Most of the time, the smart wheel controller acts as a pass thru. from memory, the power is ran parallel from the fuse box to the head light switch and the Smart wheel controller, when the headlight switch is turned on, the relays in the controller close and sends power to the high low switch in on the turn signal.... I am not 100% on this. would need to look at the schematic again.

But on the Smart Wheel box there are 5 connections to the box. Power in and out for the head lights and marker lights, (4) and the 5th is from the switch to tell the box you wanted the lights on. well maybe there is six. I was only looking at the headlight problem I was having, and didn't actively trace the marker lights circuit.

as to why individual lights don't work, cant help there. I havent had those problems, yet.
Wadell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

OK, went back to the chassis schematic the Monaco folks were able to send me. The headlight switch parking position, sends a signal to tell the Smart Wheel controller to send a signal to operate a relay to turn on the marker lights.

Just looking at the smart wheel diagram alone doesn't show how it works with other parts of the chassis.
Wadell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadell View Post
OK, went back to the chassis schematic the Monaco folks were able to send me. The headlight switch parking position, sends a signal to tell the Smart Wheel controller to send a signal to operate a relay to turn on the marker lights.

Just looking at the smart wheel diagram alone doesn't show how it works with other parts of the chassis.
Hi Wadell,

I have hijacked someone else's thread here...Sorry to him.
I do see the relay you are talking about and I have changed out that relay. In the attached picture you will see the factory relay still attached. Because I have found a wrong wire color identified in Monaco's wire diagram in the past I'm not sure I have it wired correctly. I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICC relay.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	309323  
Old 11-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #12

It is OK Tim, not high jacked, I have been done for a couple of weeks.

I had to pull a new pair in. I had no power or ground to the rear set of marker lights. I tested for a ground, to the battery and for the switched hot. It looks like some how the rear cap plug became cut. All is good now.

Bob Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
It is OK Tim, not high jacked, I have been done for a couple of weeks.

I had to pull a new pair in. I had no power or ground to the rear set of marker lights. I tested for a ground, to the battery and for the switched hot. It looks like some how the rear cap plug became cut. All is good now.

Bob Happy Thanksgiving
Thank You Bob,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and everyone else on this site!

Tags
light, lights, rear