RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

rear mud flap

I have a Monaco, side radiator, with a full width mud flap. I'm wondering if the full width flap is such a good idea. I know they look great, but I'm noticing how dirty the engine gets. I am wondering if the full width flap creates a bit of back pressure that when driving, dust and dirt, or when wet, spray from the rear tires get forced up into the engine area.

Since my flap isn't perfect, I'm actually considering cutting out the center section of my continuous flap in a effort to lessen the flow of this dirty air in the engine compartment.

I know there may be some loss of protection to a toad, but I'm thinking that close to the rear tires --- I bet most of it goes straight back.So if the portion of remaining flap is in line with the rear dual--- there should be adequate protection.

I wounder if anyone else has actual experience in this area and can advise me?

Loren

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the mud flaps behind the rear wheels, plus the big mud flap along the entire back of the coach. I did have trouble with the rear big mud flap, it was too low to the ground, flinging road trash up onto the toad. I cut the bottom of the flap so that it is 6" or so above the ground, which solved that problem. I have wondered about removing it entirely.

I never thought about the rear mud flap causing the dirty engine. Our engine is absolutely filthy all the time. You raise an interesting question.

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
48 years ago I ordered a new school bus with a 1-piece full width mud flap mounted behind the rear wheels. Because we had a lot of gravel roads back then, the back outside of the bus was always a dusty or muddy mess until I finally removed the full length flap & installed standard mud flaps behind the rear wheels.

** [I also installed anti-sail brackets to keep the mud flaps down & keep dirty road water spray from flying up as much as possible.]

For the motorhome I like the combination of the anti-sail mud flaps behind the wheels and the rear bumper area mount of the full width mud flap with the slits cut every 4" to allow air to flow thru to minimize dirt clinging under & up the back of the motorhome & to offer some protection for the toad.
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I raised my full length "mud" flap up as high as it would go and still be seen. Now the DIRT can exit below the flap. deSanford PS now the flap doesn't drag on driveways or dirt and gravel campground roads.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply. I also wondered if installing flaps behind the rear dual would be more functional. I'm guessing someone thought the rear one was a good idea, and some else said hey let's put some chrome on it. Then a really good idea was to get the brand name on there, and these do look great.

I have noticed on my rig few opportunities to hang flaps directly behind the dual --so maybe that is partly why the move farther rearward. I like the idea of shortening the full width flap-- for me maybe that is the answer.

Loren
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now I think I understand your situation. I think you have to put mudflaps behind the wheels. Without them, there will be a tremendous amount of dirt and gravel flying back into the engine. then, the big rear mud flap would make it worse, acting like a huge air dam.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

No Full Flap

I do not pull a toad but I took my full flap off the back all together and only have small flaps behind the tires. I feel it is more arrow dynamic, less drag and less dirt on back of my rig.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Any thoughts on the 22" Brush Shield type flaps? \ken

Industrial Brush 3006155 Splash Stop 22" Brush Shield : Amazon.com : Automotive
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have the UltraGuard solid rubber flap in the rear, plus full-width flaps behind the rear tires. I have not had any unusual amount of dirt on the engine. The bottom of my rear flap is about 4" off the ground.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

I have thought about the brush shield instead of the solid rubber, for now I think I'll take the suggestion of cutting off the bottom of mine and adding the flaps behind each set of rear wheels
Firemandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemandave View Post
I have thought about the brush shield instead of the solid rubber, for now I think I'll take the suggestion of cutting off the bottom of mine and adding the flaps behind each set of rear wheels

Dave, I think a big rock will go right through that brush-type guard and put an awful peck in the front of your toad! I can see it being effective on dust, but not so much on larger things! JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #12

True, I hadn't thought of the road debris hitting the towed car through the brush type. it already gets black from the radiator blowing out road dirt after a light rain.
Firemandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Just went out and bought this brush style "flap." Initial assessment: It's significantly lighter than the factory "air dam" mud flap, and the bristles are like stiff, small nylon cord; quite hefty. Will install today. Hope that it helps to keep engine cleaner while [still] managing debris hitting the toad. I'll let you know after the next couple jaunts. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #14

My first RV had the "bristle type (Dirt Skirt) and my second had a version of the solid type (Rock Solid) that uses vertical rubber strips instead of a solid rubber flap. Both RV's had the smaller flaps behind the wheels as well. Both systems worked well for me and I never had any issues with rock chips on the toads. I don't believe I had any issues with excess dirt ending up in the engine compartment with rear radiator so not sure it should be an issue for you with a side radiator layout.

The one caution I did read somewhere was to make sure the flap does not hit the road as the suspension works since it might well throw up road debris onto the toad. I think min. 2" clearance at ride height was recommended.

wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote