Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
GMN

Monaco Owners Club
Rear radiator cleaning

2006 Monaco Diplomat, anyone out there cleaned a rear radiator from the back side 8.9 isl is there any way to get at it,

thank you in advance
GMN
GMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The rear radiator may be more of a challenge. If you can spray from inside, bed raised, that may help; otherwise you need to be crawling under and be sure to adequately support coach if you do that. Use a mix of a detergent like Dawn and a cleaner type which is NON-Corrosive to Al and Cu. Simple green pro hd heavy-duty cleaner is one which I've used in the past.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
GMN

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
The rear radiator may be more of a challenge. If you can spray from inside, bed raised, that may help; otherwise you need to be crawling under and be sure to adequately support coach if you do that. Use a mix of a detergent like Dawn and a cleaner type which is NON-Corrosive to Al and Cu. Simple green pro hd heavy-duty cleaner is one which I've used in the past.
Thank you, not much room to work with i can see light but looks pretty narley
Old 09-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is the Simple Green product that was recommended by the manufacturer of my chassis (Spartan): Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner

https://simplegreen.com/industrial/p...ner/?locale=en

Available from auto parts stores and Amazon.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #5

If (OK, BIG IF) your cooling package is STACKED (i.e. CAC on top, radiator below), yes, you can clean from the back since the cooling package is only one "layer" thick.

If the cooling package is SANDWICHED (CAC in front of the radiator), no you can not effectively clean from the back, since most of the dirt, oil and debris will be on the front of the CAC.

So, please tell us what configuration you have.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:42 AM   #6
GMN

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
If (OK, BIG IF) your cooling package is STACKED (i.e. CAC on top, radiator below), yes, you can clean from the back since the cooling package is only one "layer" thick.

If the cooling package is SANDWICHED (CAC in front of the radiator), no you can not effectively clean from the back, since most of the dirt, oil and debris will be on the front of the CAC.

So, please tell us what configuration you have.
It’s stacked I have a hatch in the back for access and another in the closet which I removed so I have about as good as you could ask for in accessible
Old 10-06-2021, 04:44 AM   #7
GMN

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all for all the shared info it’s very helpful
Old 10-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I made up a "wand" that attaches to my garden hose.

First I use a spray bottle to soak down the radiator, both inside the engine bay and from the rear, with the Simple Green Extreme mentioned earlier.

After it soaks a few minutes the wand is used to hose it out.

I repeat the procedure several times.

The wand looks something like the Camco water heater rinse tools you see all over the internet. One of those might actually work.

After I got the radiator cleaned the first time I added a slobber tube extension to the breather tube that now terminates at the receiver hitch, with a catch can to keep the oil residue of my trailers or toad.

Now, after 20,000 miles, the radiator no longer gets clogged with oil from the engine and dirt from the road.

BTW, catch can is just a plastic 12 OZ. Coke bottle I painted flat black and zip tied to the hose. If you're not looking hard you don't even see it!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
2006 Monaco Diplomat, anyone out there cleaned a rear radiator from the back side 8.9 isl is there any way to get at it,

thank you in advance
GMN
If it is just routine cleaning then do like Rick says. If you are cleaning because you have overheating problems then you may have had an oil leak that caused the radiator to plug with dirt and no mater how many times you wash it by spraying from the bedroom and underneath it will most likely not get clean. We had an overheating problem with a 2006 Diplomat and after changing the fluid and thermostat cleaned the radiator multiple times without much success. The last time we used a special cleaning liquid and an air attachment but the engine would still overheat on long grades. Since the CAC is stacked on top of the radiator I pulled it and was able to get behind the radiator with a hose and spray nozzle. Dirt came out of the radiator for over 30 minutes while I sprayed from the back. I had to clean the driveway there was so much dirt and there was lots of debris stuck in the outer edges of the radiator that I had to scrap out. After this cleaning the coach temp never went above 187 degrees even on long grades towing a full size pickup truck.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fyi...rs-505125.html
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
This is the Simple Green product that was recommended by the manufacturer of my chassis (Spartan): Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner

https://simplegreen.com/industrial/p...ner/?locale=en

Available from auto parts stores and Amazon.

Take care,
Stu

Just ordered a gallon yesterday for same price as Amazon from Walmart, Amazon cancelled my order as they were out of 1 gallon size. Thinking Home Depot next time though, 5 gallons for $80.
768Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator, rear