Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #15

Slide out

I am not sure the bolts in the drive mechanism are shear bolts. That would appear to be the case, but maybe they simply only connect everything together. Since replacing the bolts on our coach with grade 8 bolts, we have not sheared any (2 months). I also used bolts that did not have any thread where the bolt might shear (2" + bolts), and I think that has helped, as has tightening them as much as possible so that there is no chance of movement to cause shear or hole elongation. I have sheared the shaft of one gear, but was able to simply turn that around. I have re-cut and re-drilled the tube ends where the holes were elongated. I am still having a problem with the forward gear mounting bracket sliding back and forth, due to being unable to tighten the two bolts that hold it in place enough to prevent movement. The bolts pass through elongated bracket holes (for adjustment), and there is so much torque, the bracket moves back and forth. There are 4 bolts for the rear bracket, but only 2 for the front. Heading for the shop Oct. 1, as the slide does not move evenly side to side, due to the gear bracket moving.

This is a poor design. The slidout is large, contains a refrigerator, has no rollers and simply slides on two teflon type pads. I do not know of any controller, and the motor simply stops when it cannot move the slide any further. The torque must be tremendous. Looking forward to more posts ~ Grover
groverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #16

I have had the same problem. Once I went to a Grade 8 bolt it has been working great. First couple bolts broke but I went witha bolt long enough that the shoulder of the bolt was inside the shaft. Since then all is good. Also I found mine were shearing when the slide was sinched up to the side of the coach. Since then I stand outside and tell my wife when to stop so we don't over tighten the slide. There should be a limit switch on it so it does not over tighten but its up to me to know when to release the switch.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I'm looking for some wood to knock on, I've never had any problems like the ones described here. Slides go out easily slides come in easily. I do continually lube the seals and slide rails guess I'm doing something right.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
2004 Windsor drive gear on rear slide had a couple of missing teeth, the missing teeth stayed in the rack and each time the slide was used it would try and stack a good tooth from the gear over the broken tooth in the rack breaking off another tooth.
I cleared out several broken teeth from the rack making sure it was clear of any broken pieces and replaced the gear.
The shaft the gear is on had a half moon key that had worn in the shaft. I took the shaft to a machine shop and had another key slot cut 180 degrees from the original.
With a new gear, key and slot it works like new.
bobbflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power Gear is famous for shearing pins I think... I know mine uses quarter inch grade 8 toothpicks.. er, bolts (the snap like toothpicks though, or used to)

Some wise person suggested something and it worked.

I got a longer bolt, one long enough that the SMOOTH part of the bolt extended through the shaft, Then I added enough washers so i could tighten it down.. So far... So good.

If that is a quarter inch hole, and I suspect it is, you might try a quarter inch grade 8 bolt about 1 3/4 inch long as I recall and washer it up like I did,,, Use a hand grinder (Dremel) to trim excess bolt off if you feel the need... I did not.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #20

My recent fix (so far) was to replace the shaft in both of the gears with a stronger metal. The shaft in the rear gear is 24" long and bolts to the square drive shaft with 4 grade 8 bolts about 6" apart. The square tube drive shafts were replaced with square tubing roughly twice as thick as the OEM shafts. I think this is a permanent fix. So far, the slide out works better than it ever has!
groverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #21

Slide out question?

Buying a 2002 Sea Breeze 8341 is there a way to bring in the slide outs if motor goes bad like a crank type ? Appreciate replys..
Nlsbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlsbyt
Buying a 2002 Sea Breeze 8341 is there a way to bring in the slide outs if motor goes bad like a crank type ? Appreciate replys..
Some info on your system would be helpful in answering your question. There are many different systems.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #23

Slide out question

Buying a 2002 sea Breeze 8341 is there a way to bring in the slide outs if motor goes bad like a crank type ? Appreciate replys..
Nlsbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If that is a quarter inch Grade 8 bolt... I used to buy 'em by the dozen till a fellow Forum member gave me some information which I pass on to you

First, you need to fix the hole in the square shaft, this involves removing the shaft, cutting off the damaged portion and re-drilling.

Second get a much longer screw...One long enough that the SMOOTH PORTION of the shank protudes all the way through the square shaft,, Then use washers (I used multiple split lock washers) to "Shim" it so it tightens down properly.

He then cut off the excess threads,, I did not.

I have not (knock wood) replaced one since.. (I replaced the shorter bolts last spring).

His explanation.. If the edge of the square shaft hits the THREADS, it cuts thrhough the bolt easily.. (Well, I don't know if he is right or wrong, but his advice was... Sound).
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Thought since I had a couple of posts on this thread, I'd do a follow up on what we found on our coach. Last October I took the coach to Oregon Motorcoach Center. It's a modification and repair center founded by Bob Lee, an early founder of Monaco and Country Coach. Took the coach there to have the Dometic replaced with a Samsung and the slide problem addressed. Samsung instalation looks and works great. For the slide, OMC first contacted Monaco and Power Gear for all the coach build informatin they had and also any ideas they had on the problem. Turns out when I had the first slide problem, the motor that Monaco provided as a replacement was two sizes larger than the original, which ment that the Monaco control system wouldn't react quickly enough to stop the motor before it snapped the shear pins or gear axle. OMC installed two new breakers, one in and one out to stop the motor at the correct time. They also installed two thermal breakers as back up. Slide has worked perfectly since then. Of course repairs in the past have lasted a few months before the problems developed again, but OMC seems to have really worked the issue.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
My used 2000 came without slide locks that I didn't even know existed until I started researching my sheared pin in the gear of my large front slide. I wonder if my gear pin sheared on the Los Angeles freeways because I didn't have slide locks in leaving all the pressure of maintaining the slide closed on the gear pin. Does that make any sense? It was a long day at Disneyland when my slide wouldn't close so I yanked it closed on one side while the motor closed the other. Got us back to camground anyway.
Montanacraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
So what years and models are having slide issues?
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
2000 Monaco diplomat for me.
Montanacraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide