Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #1

Has anyone else received this notice from Monaco?

Anyone know how serious the problem is and what the fix involves?

I have no desire to "break camp" so to speak (sitting on our lot in FLA for the winter) and drive 50 miles to get a fix - and maybe find I have to leave it overnight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #2

Has anyone else received this notice from Monaco?

Anyone know how serious the problem is and what the fix involves?

I have no desire to "break camp" so to speak (sitting on our lot in FLA for the winter) and drive 50 miles to get a fix - and maybe find I have to leave it overnight.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #3

Norcold Recall their recall notice page. You might contact their technical support with your model and serial number and get reliable information.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #4

I'm not sure this is a Norcold recall. I have a feeling that it is an installation problem as it is limited to certain models - such as our 40PLQ. Has anyone else received this notice? Does the problem apply when on gas and electricity (we only use ours on electricity).

Don
Old 12-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don -

Perhaps you could give us a bit more information about the recall. As Richard pointed out, Norcold does have a list if their various recalls, but I don't know of any for '06 units.

It may be for the PLQ's (as you said), what did it entail?

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #6

Ron, we are enroute to FLA and I'm going to call them next Monday. I hope the recall is related only to the use of propane - that way I won't have to rush. I may try to arrange an appointment at Wildwood on our way to Arizona at the end of April as we will be passing right by on I-75 (and maybe they can do a chassis lube at that time - only 1600 miles but it will be a little over 6 months).

Don
Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, definitely give 'em a call about it, especially if it IS propane-related.
We wouldn't want your frig turn into a Norcold Stove/Oven appliance.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:17 AM   #8

Hey Ron, since you are in Wildwood now, would you mind asking them about the 40PLQ problem to determine if it is propane and/or electricity related.

Thanks

Don
Old 01-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #9

I asked if anyone on Monacoers yahoo group had received the notice. In response received the following:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A friend has gotten a couple of PM from an rv tech and he stated that Norcold has had issues with some RV manufacturers, including Monaco, about the lack of properly venting their reefers to their specs. they want monaco, in this case, to inspect the venting in the 40 PLQs due to suspect cabinetry. The issue is possible overheating from improper venting. It apparantly is NOT a fire hazard but an overheating one. He will avoid running his reefer ONLY while stationary until he can get to a dealer in the spring. He feels that while running down the road at 60 or so, there should be some air movement going on in there. hope this clears it up a bit. refers to 06 Knight 40 PLQs specifically. Also HR ambassador 40PLQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ours is a very early 2006 received by our dealer in early August 2005. It sat here last year with the Norcold running on 120V from early November to mid April. Has been sitting here this season for exactly 2 months as of today. No heating problems that we can determine and it has operated perfectly.

I really would like to avoid breaking camp and going to Lazy Days (the nearest dealer). At worst I'm hoping we an stop in at Wildwood for the inspection in April on the way to Arizona.

Hope you get a chance to read these while you are still at Wildwood Ron.

Thanks

Don
Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have the large four door NORCOLD there has been some problems with venting of the back of refer out top vent of a kitchen slide. Your box temps wouldn't drop below 45* and the heat would be trapped in top of the top air vent exit. A baffel should be placed at top of vent to force hot air out of vent and not get trapped in vent.
There have been some failures of the thermal switch for the fans at the top of refer also.
A temp fix is to place a fan at bottom vent aimed up to blow cooling air over your coils, box temp will drop, you can use a 12v fan or 110v fan if hooked up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Don - We just left the Wildwood facility (and got 25 miles up the road before getting a flat-tire on the ManVan, but that's a different story. That's why I'm late in responding, sorry). Talked to a couple techs about that issue and it's as you referenced. Looking in the backs of these things, there isn't a whole lot of room anyways, and there was some concern that the ˜chimney effect' might not be as good as anticipated on some models. Seems like the ones that don't have the roof-top vent for the frig are the most susceptible. Additional fans or baffling is supposed to do the trick. Not sure just how critical the recall is, but it IS called a RECALL, so they must be serious (besides, the beer might get warm!).
Oh, and definitely get that appointment way ahead of time! I overheard April and May timeframes being quoted for new arrivals. Otherwise, it's on a wait-and-wait-and.. basis. But I must say they did everything they could to accommodate as many people as possible. Patience is the key-word.

007 - Yeah, the thermal switches can be/are a problem. Mine went bad a few weeks ago, and the local shop didn't' have an appointment-slot to pull the box and replace the switch. So, I got up on top and went in thru the vent. End result ain't purty (I had to cut the mesh-screen to get my hands in there, and besides it's HOT) but at least we made it to Wildwood where they did the other work it needed. Your aux fan idea did work well til I got the switch replaced.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #12

Ron, I called HR tech earlier this week and the guy stressed that TSI 157 is NOT a recall. A fellow on another forum was able to learn that it is not a problem when operating 110V - which is the only way we operate. DW will NOT allow propane tank to be turned on when in motion.

I will have to get our plans down precise so we can book an appointment ASAP for Wildwood. It really is frustrating and an illustration of the problems Monaco faces with quality and its dealer network when they are booked up so far in advance. On Nov 1/05 we dropped in for a "consultation" since the next appointment for work was March 06 (worse than our dealer who has a minimum 8 week wait for a warranty appointment). The guy that looked at our problems at Wildwood just shrugged and was of no help whatsoever. We learned from another owner who had been there for a week that they had just laid off many employees so that the atmosphere around the place was not good.

Our Norcold has run for about 9 months since we got it and it has had no problem getting really cold (and fast) and it has given no signs of overheating. It has never been operated on propane. We had the same unit in our Journey and it worked equally well.

Our Norcold is not in a slide. Above the fridge on the roof there is a shielded vent of some kind.

Don
Old 01-05-2007, 06:06 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don the same problem with vent fans can happen with a roof vent as yours on gas or electric.
I see no problem with your refer because of what you have just posted.
Unless you have some other problem I would just enjoy traveling and forget this TSI.
I would check out running on gas to make sure it will work on gas, you may need it sometime to save the food you have in the refer.
These problems if you have them are on other coach MFG's also, mostly with kitchen slides.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #14

Within the first 6 month of purchase we started having problems with the refrigarator to the extent that we returned from Florida to Oregon using Ice chests and restaurants.
The final solution was to replace the vent baffle in the celing above the frig and we also had one of the 2 125v heaters burned out so it was an issue on both propane and shore power.
Redlionman is offline   Reply With Quote