Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Red fluid leak…HELP!

So the suspect vehicle is a 1995 HR Imperial 37wds. Her name is Hilda. She has the 8.3L cummins 300hp on a Spartan chassis. Coming back home this past Monday from a trip up north we were 5 miles from home (luckily) and my power steering went out and temperature light came on (thermometer with wave underneath) with alarms like crazy. I muscled her over to a parking lot and found a trail of fluid and puddle under her where I stopped. Thought at first it was transmission fluid but was thinking why did power steering go out. From the research I have done I believe power steering and my fan pumps (hence the temp light) run on this fluid. I also believe it is transmission fluid or maybe a hydraulic fluid of some sort.
Looking for someone to confirm what I think I know so far and also to help me in locating the reservoir, as well as where to start looking for the leak. The whole under side of the transmission is wet with the fluid as well as other parts toward drivers side and forward. Back of the engine (coach) is dry. TIA!
Imperial1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From your description I would say you are on the right track.

If you have a side radiator it will have a fan driven by a hydraulic motor, this would explain high temp. There is also a pump for the both the fan and the power steering. On my coach the pump is mounted on the back of the compressor, passenger side of engine toward the front of the engine (which at the rear of the motorhome)

On my 2002 model there is a large 4.5 gallon reservoir mounted near the engine accessible by lifting the rear engine hatch cover. It is on the right side, easy to fine. Yours could be in a different location, you will have to trace hoses to find it.
The fluid could come from a hose, the fan motor, the pump itself. You will have to put ~a couple gallons of Dextron II in the reservoir to find the leak.

Report back as to location of leak and options to fix.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #3

AFT and AW46 hyd. oil was used hydraulic PS and Jack systems. The Valvoline MaxLife is popular really inexpensive at Wal-Mart. Like said trace the lines to and from the pump on drive side of motor ,rear tank, cooler in radiator stack, fans and toward front to power steering. I have had hydraulic swivel fittings become loose or swivel fitting crack for no apparent reason. Many truck supply parts stores and Napa can make or repair hydraulic hoses .I would look really close at radiator stack to make sure it's not wet with oil you don't want to oil and dirt to collect. Sounds Like a bad leak should be too hard to find most likely hoses running over or near the trans but fans could blow oil all over as well. Look for rubbing against hoses as well.
When done or before wash everything done well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

You may have the pto pump, it is more in the transmission area. In any case an instant leak of that size has a high chance of being a hose. I'm guessing the pto style and not the compressor driven pump due to the red atf fluid. The compressor driven have engine oil in them as it can mix through the compressor.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
You may have the pto pump, it is more in the transmission area. In any case an instant leak of that size has a high chance of being a hose. I'm guessing the pto style and not the compressor driven pump due to the red atf fluid. The compressor driven have engine oil in them as it can mix through the compressor.
Mine is a compressor driven pump and uses Dexron ATF. But they are all snowflakes so who knows.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Mine is a compressor driven pump and uses Dexron ATF. But they are all snowflakes so who knows.
I think Monaco used atf for coaches sold in cold weather areas with the compressor driven pumps. ( I have no proof of this) I have read the seals in the fan motors can blow out with 15/40 oil in cold weather.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #7

Well you guys were right. Blew the hose from the drivers fan motor to a union. Not rubbing or anything just blew through the sidewall. Also found my reservoir passenger side back by the engine. Now to soak the fittings and see if I can get them off. Also need to find this hose somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B40E0D49-3713-4082-9C34-AA6F40BEC951.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	340272  
Old 08-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I took my hydraulic hose into one of the larger NAPA stores and he made a new one.
Those large fittings on the end are very difficult to break loose. I bought a jumbo wrench set from Harbor Freight and used a very large hammer on the end.
There is a YouTube video where the guy uses an impact hammer on one side of the B Nut to break it loose.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #9

Double what Vito said.

Have the hoses duplicated. They can make them while you wait... Do note, if there are angles on the ends of the hoses, they need that angle duplicated also. Not just a 45 or 90 but clocking of those 45 or 90's on the new hoses...

Now so you can lose some sleep tonight (sorry to do this to you) but a pretty large percentage of the time, if the pump is ran dry enough to overheat the engine, the pumps tend to be trashed.
So, you have that going for you
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I took my hydraulic hose into one of the larger NAPA stores and he made a new one.
Those large fittings on the end are very difficult to break loose. I bought a jumbo wrench set from Harbor Freight and used a very large hammer on the end.
There is a YouTube video where the guy uses an impact hammer on one side of the B Nut to break it loose.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Double what Vito said.

Have the hoses duplicated. They can make them while you wait... Do note, if there are angles on the ends of the hoses, they need that angle duplicated also. Not just a 45 or 90 but clocking of those 45 or 90's on the new hoses...

Now so you can lose some sleep tonight (sorry to do this to you) but a pretty large percentage of the time, if the pump is ran dry enough to overheat the engine, the pumps tend to be trashed.
So, you have that going for you
Windecker
That’s exactly what I am going to do. Get wrenches from harbor freight.
As for the over heating engine I believe my alarm went off because the fan stopped. I don’t think engine actually over heated. I only went 5 more miles. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've changed all the hydraulic hoses to the fan and power steering from the hydraulic fluid reservoir. They all developed small leaks at one of the fittings. I haven't had to change any hoses from the actual pump yet.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:42 AM   #12

Seems like every single trip something goes wrong. Being a 1995 it seems like there are so many items “about to go”. I know these coaches need constant pm’s but do you think selling this one and upgrading to like mid 2000’s would be better? I’m getting close to my wits end working on this thing. Maybe I should look at just going 5th wheel. I had a TT and never had to worry about issues like this constantly. I also have a manifold leak and exhaust leak around turbo. Probably not the right place to post that type of question but you guys seem knowledgeable and probably have experience with other coaches and rigs.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The age of the coach does result in more maintenance issues. Things that you'd never would wear out start to fail, you hose is a good example.

Can't give you advice on whether to move on or not, that's a personal decision and depends on your tolerance for having to work on the coach.

FWIW, I have a 2002 Windsor. It had been relatively dependable up until 2015 when we took a longer trip. We (I mean my wife) decided to build a new house and I ended up doing a lot of the work myself to save $$$. That's 4 years of my life I'll never get back and what was worse the motorhome stayed parked.

Earlier this year I decided to work on the rig, spent +6 weeks doing stuff including adding upgrade to the OEM fuel transfer pump and charging systems.

Took a 5 week trip starting in late June, the rig overall did OK until the last week so cut the trip short and have been working on it ever since.

So hate to say it but I guess I've joined your club.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #14

Regarding those Harbor Freight wrenches, measure the large fittings you
plan to work on because one of the sets of wrenches they had didn't include the size I needed. Right now I can't recall for sure the size, but it might have been 1 1/4"

I don't like China stuff but for wrenches, I may never use again they worked perfectly and were cheap.

Ray 03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, leak