Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
tjy

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Refrigerator

Greetings on this fine Easter day. I went to bed around 2:00am after smelling ammonia near the refrigerator, I proceeded to turn it off and this am unplugged it behind the vent..does this mean new refrigerator or can it fixed? We have been having a lots of fun with the front a/c heat pump..number four is on the way out, they start burning up releasing a smoky oily mist thru the coach mainly on heat pump mode..nothing like waking up to the smoke alarm at wee hour of the nite. The rv dealer (giant rec world) in holly hill has been great to work with . Every a/c has been diffent inside, compressor different..etc. Even the wife is saying to upgrade to a another class a. We have been looking at a 2008 new mar Essex 4508, has everything the "captain" me wants on his list and things the 1st officer likes thoughts??

Tjy.. Tom
tjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Generally, a leaking refrigerator cannot be repaired, however it is possible to replace the cooling unit rather than the entire refrigerator. Many have been pleased with the Amish replacements.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
tjy

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I should add it's a norcold and the a/c Hp is a dometic..
Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you smell ammonia in the frig, it is toast. Replace the frig or get an Amish cooling unit to replace the dead one.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
keeping and fixing what you have is the least expensive way to go today. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

You can purchase rebuilt cooling units, new cooling units, or an Amish cooling unit. Any of these choices will be considerably less expensive than replacing the entire refrigerator. Another option is to look into replacing the refrigerator with a residencial refrigerator. many folks have taken that route.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
TXiceman what is your "ham radio call?" deSanford W6YY
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
You can purchase rebuilt cooling units, new cooling units, or an Amish cooling unit. Any of these choices will be considerably less expensive than replacing the entire refrigerator. Another option is to look into replacing the refrigerator with a residencial refrigerator. many folks have taken that route.

Jim
We went with the Amish cooling unit. Works great.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If your are near Shipshewanna IN then stop by JC refrigeration. He makes and installs the Amish cooling units. He does excellent work. Highly recommended. If you need further information just let me know.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Knowing what I know now, and in the midst of some type of electronic issue on my NDA-1402 (Dometic), I would opt for a residential refrigerator and throw this one OUT! No matter how good the warranty coverage is, (I have the 3+3 factory extended one) it does not make up for the inconvenience, frustration and down-time that these things present with. The Samsung 197 would be my choice. I heard that they were discontinued, but I figure there has to be a similar sized residential fridge out there somewhere, I hope. Once this fridge is repaired, I'll not fix it again (I already did the cooling unit last fall).
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #11

tjy, first sorry to hear about your problem! Unfortunately, Shelly & I know all about this. We recently experienced the same with our Norcold 1200LR. Glad to hear you turned it off and disconnected it ASAP! I wasn't home at the time it failed, but my wife was (SLEEPING)! When I got back all I could smell was ammonia and the fridge we still running wth no alarms/errors. After pulling the fridge out, she definitely got HOT and we are SOOO thankful we didn't have a fire! We choose to go with a brand-new Amish cooling unit. Check out the video of our cooling unit change-out (and the damage we had!): Our Norcold to Amish Built Cooling Unit Change-out

Hope this helps,
RobertShelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
tjy

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Refridge

Since we have a extended warranty the company wouldn't cover the whole ref ridge so they said new cooling unit soo in order to keep us happy customers they finished the repair list re clear coating the roof and painting the faring over the new a/c unit then buffed out a scratch on the passenger side where someone keyed us . we are heading to a trade in on a new allegro bus they have in Melbourne. It's just our time to upgrade.
Thanks for all the great replies

Tom

Tags
refrigerator