Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #1

We have a 07 Holiday Rambler Imperial NSQ with the Dometic Sidewise double door frig. We are having a problem with rainwater splashing on the outside vents for the frig. and getting into the Mh. The vents are designed so that any water that hits the horizontal vents will splash into the inside area behind the frig. Then leak down around the frig. on to the kitchen floor. Has anyone else had a similar problem and how did your fix it? I have made an attempt to modify the vents but water still gets in. Thanks Sam
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #2

We have a 07 Holiday Rambler Imperial NSQ with the Dometic Sidewise double door frig. We are having a problem with rainwater splashing on the outside vents for the frig. and getting into the Mh. The vents are designed so that any water that hits the horizontal vents will splash into the inside area behind the frig. Then leak down around the frig. on to the kitchen floor. Has anyone else had a similar problem and how did your fix it? I have made an attempt to modify the vents but water still gets in. Thanks Sam
Old 07-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #3

Are you sure the water line to the icemaker is not leaking?? Just a thought.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I will go with Les on this one.

We had a "leak" just like the one you describe, and it turned out to be a leaking waterline. We took off the outside grill, tightened just one fitting and "Bob's your uncle" - no more water under the fridge.

I would go and check this before doing anything else.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I'll go with the others on this one. I've never had rainwater come in through the vents, but I've had loose fittings on the icemaker supply line as well as a split in the clear plastic tubing that Dometic uses for the icemaker feed line. In all cases, the water would run out from underneath the refrigerator onto the floor of the RV.

I'd go over the icemaker plumbing with a fine tooth comb. I'm assuming, of course, that you've already checked the condensate drain line for proper connection, no splits and routing to the outside through the lower vent cover, if applicable.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Only had water get in there when I overdid it with the hose. I did have a leaky water solenoid for the icemaker. It had frozen and cracked, Had everything else covered in the cold weather but that!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #7

It is definately the lower refrig. vent. It only leaks when it rains. I have pulled the vent to see water behind the vent after a heavy rain. The water is coming down from the slide-out awning and is actually directed down the side of the slide-out exactly over the vents. It only happens when the slide is in. I am wondering if the slide is tilted out at the bottom and thus is placing the vents directly under the water fall from the awning. I have modified the vent with alum. tape on the inside to try and stop the water and still allow for good ventilation. Water on the tile floor is very disturbing to DW. I have to find a way to stop it and sooooon!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe this is a stupid question but is the vent cover on upside down?
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It should be pretty easy to fashion an eyebrow to put above the vent to divert the water away from it. You can us a piece of the aluminum flashing and tape it on to see if it will work before making a pretty one.

ken
Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
On our previous motorhome when it rained water would flow into the entry door seam. After many attempts at fixing the problem, including the expense of installing a door awning, I fixed the problem with this:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...m-8482-10/1782

This rubber gutter has an adhesive back that sticks well but can still be removed if you change your mine. It also can be curved to fit around doors, windows, etc. I suggest applying it around the top and both sides of the vent with a continuous piece. If that does not solve the problem then you could remove the gutter.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #11

First off the gutter is not upside down. I have made an alu. tape entension to the back of the three vents and it worked during the last rainstorm. I placed a 22in. long piece of alu. duct tape on the back of the three vents so that it protruded up about 1.5in above the existing vents slot. So far so good. I am now going to look for a grey smoked plastic window shade that is used on pickup trucks. I hope to find one long enough to fit over the vents that would act as a deflector for the rainwater. They are similar to the gutter idea and use a tape for attaching to the vents. Thanks for all the ideas. Sam