Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Here is how I think the circuit works.

There is a wire missing on the drawing. It is power from Ignition run circuit to terminal 30.
1) When the ignition is turned on, engine off, power flows from terminal 30 through the relay (out of terminal 87A, to the fail light) which turns on the ALT Fail light.
2) When the engine is running (alternator stator terminal is putting out 6V) the 6V at terminal 85 opens the relay so the power on terminal 30 has no path to the fail light. The ALT light goes out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alt fail light circuit.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	227579  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #16
YC1

IF you are plugged into shoreline which turns on your converter you can get a fault light.

OR if the generator is running you can get the same fault light.

If you have either running then turn on your headlights to get a load on your batteries and it might go out.

This is a common thing and not a failure.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Of course each Monaco is different and mine has this 6v relay also. Mine is wired to ground the bulb until stator puts voltage to the relay and opens the circuit.

Maybe the OP could pull the alt light out of the socket and see if one side of that socket has 12v to it with key on. That would tell if the bulb was working on the ground side like mine.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Your schematic shows the light being fed 12v to turn it on., although no connection in the schematic to 87 or 87a.

Is the relay socket hard fasted to something, or does it dangle? Can you see the back oof the socket to see what terminals are used? If hard fastened are all the socket slots filled with metal terminals? Would you mind taking a few more pictures of the socket with the relay out, and if possible the back side of the socket, sowing the wires?

Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
After tracing all my alternator wires, I drew this schematic, as Monaco didn’t include such in all their drawing for my coach.

Name:	IMG_2886.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	227606

Old 11-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Hapycarz,
in your diagram the relay is used to complete the "ground path" for the Alt Fail Light. When engine is running, alternator voltage opens the relay and breaks the ground circuit (which turns off light)

In the diagram in the first post (less the missing 12V power feed to terminal 30) the relay completes the "power path" to the Alt Fail light (ground circuit is continuous). When engine is running, alternator voltage opens the relay and breaks the power circuit (which turns off light).

Either way could work.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I see that in his schematic. That is why I wanted to see the actual wires at the socket. I agree with you.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here's what I have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2148.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	227654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	227655  

Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
With the key on test the socket. 30 & 87a are connected and should be at battery voltage. Next, take a volt reading on 85 and 86. One comes from alternator stator and other goes to ground. So, one should have zero volts and other zero or slightly higher than zero.

With the relay still out of socket, start the engine. Read voltage on 85 and 86. One will be zero and the other should be stator voltage, 6-7 volts. If wired like schematic, I would tell you what is on each of those terminals, but our coaches are not always built to spec. And, it really doesn’t matter which is which on 85 and 86. One is hot and other is ground.
The stator wire goes to one of the two and the other is grounded. The stator voltage goes energizes the electromagnet on circuit 85/86 and pulls 87a way from 30. With no voltage going to the alt light it goes off. This relay is just like a knife switch. Instead of moving the knife by hand, it uses a electromagnetic coil to pull the knife.

I believe you said you replaced the relay. I can’t look to check right now, as I’m typing and don’t want to lose it. We know the the relay is powering the bulb. So, the problem is in the coil circuit, 85/86. You probably will find no voltage to that circuit when the engine is running.

Now that you know from the picture below the socket numbers, do you have enough slack in the white wires to see the writing on the wire from each terminal position? If you could see such and let us know, that would help.

Name:	IMG_4489.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	227665

Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #24

Has any work been done on the coach or did the alt light just start coming on ?
Maybe this was covered and I missed it .

Myron mentioned that some coaches had an anomaly where the light would come
on when running the gen while driving .
I remember hearing of cases like that .
Monaco came up with a modification / work around to correct that .
I can't recall what that mod was , maybe someone else does .
If by chance that is when the light comes on we need to find what that mod is .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #25
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Has any work been done on the coach or did the alt light just start coming on ?
Maybe this was covered and I missed it .

Myron mentioned that some coaches had an anomaly where the light would come
on when running the gen while driving .
I remember hearing of cases like that .
Monaco came up with a modification / work around to correct that .
I can't recall what that mod was , maybe someone else does .
If by chance that is when the light comes on we need to find what that mod is .

Ray
Many BIRD devices can sense the generator and alternator running at the same time and under those conditions will NOT combine the battery banks. However, when on shoreline that sense is not there and the battery banks are combined and cause some confusion for the alt warning light.

I'm an electronic tech and could probably sort out why but it has never been enough of an issue for me to do that. Being aware of it is just fine.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #26

Here is a thread from Yahoo Monacoers that may be of interest .

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../topics/256351

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
With the key on test the socket. 30 & 87a are connected and should be at battery voltage. Next, take a volt reading on 85 and 86. One comes from alternator stator and other goes to ground. So, one should have zero volts and other zero or slightly higher than zero.

With the relay still out of socket, start the engine. Read voltage on 85 and 86. One will be zero and the other should be stator voltage, 6-7 volts. If wired like schematic, I would tell you what is on each of those terminals, but our coaches are not always built to spec. And, it really doesn’t matter which is which on 85 and 86. One is hot and other is ground.
The stator wire goes to one of the two and the other is grounded. The stator voltage goes energizes the electromagnet on circuit 85/86 and pulls 87a way from 30. With no voltage going to the alt light it goes off. This relay is just like a knife switch. Instead of moving the knife by hand, it uses a electromagnetic coil to pull the knife.

I believe you said you replaced the relay. I can’t look to check right now, as I’m typing and don’t want to lose it. We know the the relay is powering the bulb. So, the problem is in the coil circuit, 85/86. You probably will find no voltage to that circuit when the engine is running.

Now that you know from the picture below the socket numbers, do you have enough slack in the white wires to see the writing on the wire from each terminal position? If you could see such and let us know, that would help.

Attachment 227665

Key on. 86) 9.47 87a) 1.75 85) .068 30) .068
Running 7.79 .126

When I bought the coach, the alternator wasn't charging the house batteries, replace the big boy & that solved the problem. It seems like the alt light came on after that, if that's any help.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
Key on. 86) 9.47 87a) 1.75 85) .068 30) .068
Running 86) 7.79 85) .126

When I bought the coach, the alternator wasn't charging the house batteries, replace the big boy & that solved the problem. It seems like the alt light came on after that, if that's any help.
85).126