Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Relays and Salesman Switch Questions

Here I go again.
I have been trying to get this Winter Storage procedure down.
My old Coach was easy, I drained the water, blew out the lines, filled the gas tanks, added RV Anti-freeze and removed the three batteries.
My new Coach is a 2001 Dynasty 36' with slide. I have done all the items suggested. Since I have 5 Batteries and I would like to start it up every month I have not removed the Batteries. I turned off the Two Switches in the Rear Passenger side Electrical Compartment,Turned off the Inverter and removed the fuse next it.
I started reading about the Salesman Switch (switch next to porch light etc in the foot well used by Salesman to avoid leaving power on to lights etc). A post somewhere mentioned that the items controlled by that switch still remained live?? No problem I will go back to the coach and turn that switch off. Hmmm if it controls a relay (one of the two I turned off) without the power on will I be able to turn the relay off? Do I have to power on to turn off the switch that controls that relay?
One more question will my Solar Charger still work?
It used to be so EASY.
Thanks for any help.
Barrier
Robert
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Robert,

Regarding the "Salesman" switch at the entry door, it is simply a convenient way for the Salespeople to temporarily disconnect 12 volt power to the inside of the coach. It actuates a battery disconnect relay which is most likely in the same compartment where the 2 main disconnects are located.

If you have already turned both the coach and chassis disconnects off, then that's all that is necessary. I believe what people say regarding "stuff" still causing a minor drain on either the coach or chassis batteries, I would imagine that it refers to "stuff' that has been directly connected to the batteries and not through the disconnect switches. Case in point, I think my keyless entry is directly connected, not sure.

Anyway, not to worry.

The solar system is always connected unless you disconnect the fuse which is in the same bay. I would recommend not disconnecting it as it will help keep the coach batteries charged up somewhat.

BTW, when replacing the batteries, you MUST disconnect the solar charging fuse otherwise there is still some live juice going to the terminals which could cause a spark and subsequent fire during changing of the batteries.

Good luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #3

Thanks Dr4Film that explains it.
Would that fuse be in the wire from the Solar power to the Battery? Or in the rear pass side electric compartment?
thanks
Barrier
Robert
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again Robert,

That specific fuse, and in my coach there are two, one going to the coach batteries and the other going to the chassis battery. The electrical compartment should have a wiring diagram pasted to the cover and will be visible when opened, at least my coach did. My compartment is the very last door at the curb side of the coach. The diagram indicates solar panel fuses but the visual doesn't quite match the exact location, you have to use your imagination to draw everything out locating each component. I've been in there recently as my Triple Slide-Out Control Board took a dump yesterday.

Good luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Hi again Robert,
but the visual doesn't quite match the exact location, you have to use your imagination to draw everything out locating each component.
Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Right, on my 00 Dynasty labeling of chassis and domestic kill switches was reversed - or I'm looking at it backwards and upside down which is possible where they put it.
Greg121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Barrier2, if you start your engine, make sure you run it long enough to get it to normal operating temperature. Best to take it out fro a 20 mile drive or just not start it at all.

You do need to run the generator every month under load like an electric heater or the microwave. You should run it about one hour to keep it in good operational condition and keep the house batteries charged. Your coach may or may not have the capability to charge the chassis battery from the generator. I use a Tric-L-Start connected to both sets of batteries. It charges the chassis batteries from the house batteries but will not deplete the house batteries below a point. That and the generator monthly exercise keeps them all charged.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #7

Hi Rex, Thanks for the reply. I will be able to start and run the Generator, got any "under load" suggestions?
My Motor Home is in a storage yard with all the windows covered, mothballs placed and carefully positioned very hard to take it for a "stroll". I may go there this week to verify and perhaps redo the Washer winterizing. I did the pink antifreeze routine but I just read something about making sure the water pump inside was protected. I turned it on,started the cycle and put it on spin. I am not sure the pump came into play? This was all done with the pink stuff running to the pump.
Barrier
Robert
Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Robert, the important thing for the washer is to make sure the pink stuff gets where it is needed. I always put about a quart inside and then run a cycle in addition to what I do to the water lines. Make sure you drain your hot water tank and put the by-pass valve in by-pass before pumping in the pink stuff into the water lines.

To load the generator, turn on the microwave, or use a portable electric heater. Either will load it. When I use the microwave I set it on 30 minutes. Let it cool for a few after it cuts off and put it back on for 20 minutes.

If you can't take the coach out for a drive, best to not start it at all to keep condensation out of the engine.

Rex

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #9

Hi Rex, Thanks for your help. I did all those things, however I did not run a full cycle in the Washer. I just filled it with antifreeze with the fill switch, poured some more anti-freeze in . When I put the machine in spin the pink stuff I put inside was spun out. I then checked the bottom right front filter for anti-freeze which I found. I don't know if the spin cycle caused the pump to operate or was the fluid just spun out??
Having never had such a complicated water system in my prior Motor Homes ( four) causes me to worry about all the things I missed particularly when I read another Forum members "tales of woe".
Barrier
Robert