Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Relocating A/C Thermistor

On my Diplomat, both the A/C thermistors for the remote thermostat are located on the bottom of the cabinets housing the TVs. For the one over the dash in front, this means it is subjected to pretty wide temperature swings during the day in the cockpit.

To be comfortable in the main living area, I have to constantly adjust the thermostat. Has anyone with this same setup relocated the thermistor to somewhere nearer the middle of the living area?

I think I am going to give it a try, but instead of moving and possibly damaging the original one, I plan to buy a new one for the new location and run the wire from there to the thermostat.

Curious of any lessons learned, else I will post my results when I get around to the project.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
On my Diplomat, both the A/C thermistors for the remote thermostat are located on the bottom of the cabinets housing the TVs. For the one over the dash in front, this means it is subjected to pretty wide temperature swings during the day in the cockpit.

To be comfortable in the main living area, I have to constantly adjust the thermostat. Has anyone with this same setup relocated the thermistor to somewhere nearer the middle of the living area?

I think I am going to give it a try, but instead of moving and possibly damaging the original one, I plan to buy a new one for the new location and run the wire from there to the thermostat.

Curious of any lessons learned, else I will post my results when I get around to the project.
I asked the tech at the Monaco warranty facility in Elkhart about that. He said the sensor was there to allow for the swings in temp, that is, when it get hotter there the a/c comes on to get ahead of the heating from the sun on the front and to do the same for the heat as the huge windshield will allow more heat thru than a smaller one. Since the drapes are usually closed that is supposed to buffer the temp swings. They lo put the one in the BR under the TV too. In fact it should be on the other side of the room by the head of the bed.
You might want to see where the sensor plugs in. Mine runs from the front TV cabinet to the controller for the front a/c unit then daisy chains to the thermostat.
Ron
Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
I asked the tech at the Monaco warranty facility in Elkhart about that. He said the sensor was there to allow for the swings in temp, that is, when it get hotter there the a/c comes on to get ahead of the heating from the sun on the front and to do the same for the heat as the huge windshield will allow more heat thru than a smaller one. Since the drapes are usually closed that is supposed to buffer the temp swings. They lo put the one in the BR under the TV too. In fact it should be on the other side of the room by the head of the bed.
You might want to see where the sensor plugs in. Mine runs from the front TV cabinet to the controller for the front a/c unit then daisy chains to the thermostat.
Ron
Thanks for the tips. The rear A/C is not such a problem, but sometimes could work better. You are right - being over near the head of the bed would be better.

Well, what the tech said is a good theory, but from my experience when the sun is bearing down on the front it is just freezing in the rest of the coach unless I go turn the setpoint way up. After 11 years, I am finally tired of being a human thermistor.

As you can see in the image, I have replaced the inside trim on the A/C so that it is return only - no output grill there. I was thinking of putting the thermistor right there either on or near the trim. However, based on your comments, maybe I should put it a bit forward. Maybe halfway between the A/C and the front? Basically between the two pair of forward duct openings?

tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use that bubble silver insulation on the inside of the windshield,then close the drapes ,problem solved
Gordie 04 dip with front thermistor on the bottom of my 48 inch flat screen, thermistor hangs down about an inch, i have had no ptoblems as long as i put the insulation on the windshoeld
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #5

As a human thermistor you have the unique understanding of your living area. Experiment with placement until you're happy with the results. Have fun!
DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Relocating A/C Thermistor

I just did this during the winter. I bought three new ones and relocated the sensors within 3" of the AC covers in the ceiling. Mine each plug into the system in the return air above the filter. I had to bundle the wire in the plenum because the only way I could find the thermistors was as 20 footers. The ceiling temps are different than at 50" off the floor but at least they are constant. Once I figured out where to set the thermostat it has worked well both in AC mode with outside temps at 85 degrees and in aqua hot heating mode at 40 degrees outside.
dgezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat