Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #1

Remote generator start and water pump switches not working

Hello all, I have used this forum multiple times to find answers to my questions, and so far I have been able to resolve my problems without posting. However, this one is beyond me and I'm hoping someone can give me some additional troubleshooting ideas before I head to a repair shop.

My problems:
1. The generator remote start switches (on both the dashboard and the main control panel) do not crank the generator. When pushed down (they're both a 3-way switch), you can hear the preheater (glowplugs) activate. However, when pushed up, the generator does not crank. I can start the generator from the local switch on the genset control box, and while it is running, the generator switch lights up on the main control panel. However, the transfer switch does not kick power in the coach over to generator power.

2. The water pump switch (I only have one on the main control panel) will not turn on the water pump.

So far, I have verified that there is power to both of the switches (gen and water pump) in the control panel, checked both the DC fuses that run to the control panel (flat fuse in bedroom fuse panel as well as inline behind control panel), and re-seated the remote control connection on the generator control panel. I also verified that there is power to both legs from of the generator side in the transfer switch (shore power works fine). When the water pump is switched on, I do not have 12 volts at the water pump itself. I'm thinking that these problems are related, since the water pump and genset switches are on the same panel. I'm hoping this is just a dirty / corroded plug somewhere, but so far haven't been able to find any suspect plugs. I'm not sure how the wiring gets from the control panel down to the water pump and again to the generator.

My specs:
1994 Monaco Dynasty 38'
7k generator
Esco ES50 transfer switch

I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone else has experienced these symptoms and can offer some advice!!
bigbobmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

I have to have my house battery switch on to operate the generator and pump. Mine is just inside the door on the side of the steps. Would be good if that was it.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #3

That was the first thing I checked, and yes, the house battery switch (I assume you're referring to the salesman's switch) is on. I have 12v to the rest of the coach - all the interior lights are functional and I verified I have 12v at the 2 switches in question with a volt meter.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Big Bob,
You're probably aware that many 12VDC items in an RV are controlled via relay. A 12VDC switch sends a small current to the relay, and the relay does the "heavy lifting" of providing the medium-to-high amperage current to the device in question. My guess is that you have two separate problems, but both have their own relay to execute the circuit's function. Now..... Because both (genset and water pump) are not activating, then there is a possibility that the common ground that these relays exploit has opened up.

Do you have any 12VDC documentation for your rig?
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Hmm.. my Genset is turned on by application of Ground through the switch, as I thought all Onans were (what is yours?)
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #6

Robi, yes, I do have some wiring schematics for my coach. The water pump is fairly simple - hot from the fuse block in back, through the switch, to the pump. The generator remote start is a little trickier. I highly doubt a relay is used for the water pump, or it would have been shown on the diagrams. I am planning on ensuring my grounds are all clean and making a good connection when I get a chance to work on it tonight (hoping the rain holds out)!!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #7

Midniteoyl, I have an Onan generator as well. I will have to do some digging to see how the remote start switches operate. I know there is power going to one lead on both the genset switch and the water pump switch, but that could very well be to just power the light on each switch.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobmcc
Hello all, I have used this forum multiple times to find answers to my questions, and so far I have been able to resolve my problems without posting. However, this one is beyond me and I'm hoping someone can give me some additional troubleshooting ideas before I head to a repair shop.

My problems:
1. The generator remote start switches (on both the dashboard and the main control panel) do not crank the generator. When pushed down (they're both a 3-way switch), you can hear the preheater (glowplugs) activate. However, when pushed up, the generator does not crank. I can start the generator from the local switch on the genset control box, and while it is running, the generator switch lights up on the main control panel. However, the transfer switch does not kick power in the coach over to generator power.

2. The water pump switch (I only have one on the main control panel) will not turn on the water pump.

So far, I have verified that there is power to both of the switches (gen and water pump) in the control panel, checked both the DC fuses that run to the control panel (flat fuse in bedroom fuse panel as well as inline behind control panel), and re-seated the remote control connection on the generator control panel. I also verified that there is power to both legs from of the generator side in the transfer switch (shore power works fine). When the water pump is switched on, I do not have 12 volts at the water pump itself. I'm thinking that these problems are related, since the water pump and genset switches are on the same panel. I'm hoping this is just a dirty / corroded plug somewhere, but so far haven't been able to find any suspect plugs. I'm not sure how the wiring gets from the control panel down to the water pump and again to the generator.

My specs:
1994 Monaco Dynasty 38'
7k generator
Esco ES50 transfer switch

I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone else has experienced these symptoms and can offer some advice!!

Had that water pump problem For some time on my 2001 dynasty ,found the trouble in the plumbing compartment .
Remove the water pump switch and found the wires all corroded ,replaced all the connector with new one to the pump work great now..
Bris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobmcc View Post

My problems:
I just had a similar problem. Remote switch would not crank generator but would shut it down. Local switch worked fine. I pulled the remote switch connector from the generator and found the starting wire had corroded and broke off inside the connector. New connector ordered and should be here tomorrow.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #10

My bet would be the problems aren't related as well. I wouldn't use that assumption for troubleshooting anyway.

Too, I've found most times issues with the Onan remote start switches were at the harness connection right near the gen set. Once you see how simple that circuit is, you'll probably have no trouble finding/dealing with that one.

Tags
generator, water