Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

Removal of Sharp 27" TV from 2006 Endeavor

In the process of removing Ice Age old technology front Sharp flat panel TV to install a new Frame TV.

Anyone ever done this before? I removed 6 front facing screws that were hidden by colored plastic caps and the inside 3 screws holding the metal backing plate attached to the rear of the flat panel, but the wood framing is not moving. I also cut away all of the coloured silicon between the wood trims, but she is still not budging.

Are the trim pieces glued together as well? All around?

If so, then my hackzall may be needed next...unless there is some trick to removing the unit without sacrificing all of the nice wood. I will need to cut away some trim, but not that much.

I have attached some pics.

Any help is much appreciated, as usual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharp 27 inch tv.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	340949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Sharp 27 inch tv.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	340950  

Name:	IMG_2132.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	340951  
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I think our vintage TV was the same as that one. Removed it years ago. Ours did not have that large sheetmetal layer but had some brackets that were attached to the TV. On yours and looking at the middle picture, I think that removing those 4 screws in the center will go along way to getting the tv out. You may also have to remove the screws along the edges of the sheetmetal holding everything together. I did not have to remove any wood trim to get the TV out. I went with a 40" replacement and only had to cut the trim along the top to get it to fit properly. I used a locking swivel mount to mount it in place and when locked I put some stops in there for it to seat against. Hope this may help and have a great day. Happy Trails Bert
Old 08-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #3

Jobert,

The problem is not removing the metal from the back of the TV, but removing the front top and side trim pieces in order to get it all out. The front of the TV is prevented from leaving it's place by the top front trim and the side trim pieces.

There were 4 screws (2 on top, 2 on bottom) which have been removed, as well as all of the caulking, but nothing wants to budge...seems like wood glue was used as well to keep things snug.

Will update on progress, once it has been removed.

Looking at prior posts I noticed that a lot of people have done this, but did not document how it is done!!! That is the hard part, without sacrificing all of the pretty cherry colored wood trim.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #4

just did mine a few months ago; here are some pics; after hitting my head a few times it had to go...lol

I bought the unit w Sceptre TV (CHINA) and replaced it; didn't have to remove CRT; you're going to cut out a lot of stuff; i was able to save a lot of the original trim and reuse it (sides, trim, molding at the bottom where map lights are, etc also, get vinyl repair to fix the indentations and screw holes on ceiling; if you have a bat wing suggest you replace it with a King antennae since you'll need to reconfigure the wiring to the TV; my bro in law got a larger screen and it fits on the outside of the box; we prefer the 27" and it fits nicely into the box giving a finished look (you can always pull it out for better viewing; hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV TV Conversion Final.pg.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	340958   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV TV Conversion.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	340959  

Old 08-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #5

So, it looked like you just cut through the bottom of the front trim all the way up to the top? What kind of saw? Sawzall?

I may have to do that as well, but was hoping to keep most of the front trim intact and just put some plywood inside for mounting the flat panel.

But....keep hoping someone has done this the way I want to do it. Yours looks like a last resort for me....DW will be hopping mad if I make a mess out of her cherry looking wood.

Thanks for the replies...
Old 08-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #6

Update on removal of TV

So, decided to call my old buddy, Marty at Elite RV down in Harrisburg, Oregon. Him, Mark and Eric are all ex Monaco workers who worked at the now defunct Coburg, Oregon plant.

Long story short, he told me to have at 'er and just pry the whole 4 piece trim molding out of there as no adhesive was used when putting it together. So, decided to give it a try.

It sure was tight, but once one corner gave away, another side budged and then finally the whole 4 piece wooden stained framework came out as one piece, just like he said it would...see pics.

There were a few screws put in on the other side, which I don't think were meant to hold it in as to secure another piece of wooden support on the other side....the screws they used were too long and ended up sticking part way into the trim pieces that I was trying to remove.

Now that the old dinosaur is out of the way, I can begin framing a solid sheet of plywood to secure the 32" Frame TV into that space.

Checked the measurements and the 43" one is too big to fit recessed, the way the DW likes it.

Thanks for all your responses and I have attached a complete set of pics showing OEM and the removal of the trim pieces and TV.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sharp 27 inch tv.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	340976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	340977  

Name:	IMG_2136.jpg