Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Darn! Would have dropped down that way to meet you. Next time...
Sure, give me a shout.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The rigid foam door is held in by a couple screws and should provide good insulation.

I put one coat of stain on the parts before I assembled them. I thought it would be darker so it's going to take at least two coats and more red stain in the mix.

Glued and nailed together

The inside of the closet.

I wanted to make the face frame and doors today, but my lumber supplier closed their warehouse at the local store. Now you have to order it and they ship it to the store the next day. Looks like I'll be working on it this weekend.

The reefer will be here tomorrow--I can't wait to see what it looks like installed.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Keep up the good work. Been there done that.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The delivery guys carried the reefer right into the coach and set it in the cabinet. I'm making a vent for the opening at the top.

This is was the issue we had, there's not a lot of room for the doors to swing.

Just enough room.

I'm fabricating two brackets for the top that will use the hinge screws to fasten the brackets to the reefer. The side without the hinge is easy, the hinge side is giving me a hard time.

This is how I fastened the bottom. There is a crease in the bottom of the fridge and the edge of this bracket slips into it. I don't think it'd be good enough by itself, but with the two top brackets it should be fine. The unit is in what is basically a closet so I'm slipping a 1/2 X 1" slat down each side keep it centered in the opening.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like enough room to me. That anchor on the back? Measure how much space you have above the the fridge pull the unit back install some blocking so the unit can't raise up. Don't fill the whole space so it can have air flow. Just make it with about 1/4" of clearance. I'm would rethink that rear bracket. What do you have planned for additional anchoring?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Looks like enough room to me. That anchor on the back? Measure how much space you have above the the fridge pull the unit back install some blocking so the unit can't raise up. Don't fill the whole space so it can have air flow. Just make it with about 1/4" of clearance. I'm would rethink that rear bracket. What do you have planned for additional anchoring?
I wouldn't trust that back bracket by itself, but it's just holding down the back end. The real mounting brackets are in the front. I was able to use the unused hinge mounts on the left side of the reefer and existing hinge screws on the right side to secure the brackets to the fridge. I used the mounting hardware from the fans in the Norcold for the brackets.

Since I have access to the top of the fridge, I was thinking of fabricating a piece of wood that would go from one side to the other and attach industrial strength velcro between it and the fridge. It'd only be a couple inches wide and wouldn't affect cooling.

I need to take the bottom ones out and paint them black.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
I think it looks like a great job of securing the fridge. It's not going anywhere. Just mask off the bottom brackets and spray paint them.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I think it looks like a great job of securing the fridge. It's not going anywhere. Just mask off the bottom brackets and spray paint them.
Thanks, I don't think it'll come loose unless the coach is coming apart around it!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's raw and cold this morning so I spent a couple hours making the door for the utility closet. I'm reusing one of the panels from the Norcold and making new stiles and rails. I have a router bit that's pretty close to the profile on the panel so it'll be a close match. This is going to be a narrow door.

The finished door, glued up and ready for finish sanding and stain.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
It's raw and cold this morning so I spent a couple hours making the door for the utility closet. I'm reusing one of the panels from the Norcold and making new stiles and rails. I have a router bit that's pretty close to the profile on the panel so it'll be a close match. This is going to be a narrow door.

The finished door, glued up and ready for finish sanding and stain.

Looks very similar to what i did on my 07 Neptune. I replaced the Norcold with a 16 c.f. whirlpool and built a small cabinet on the side like yours. I made the lower cabinet with 3 small pullout drawers. The top has carpeted openings to store the Corian sink covers. Makes a nice, safe place to store those. The 3 pullout drawers are really only good for spices but had to fill the space someway. Great idea for the broom closet. Great work so far, looks very nice.

Chad Click image for larger version

Name:	20160805_150107.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	191925
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Beautiful work! I'm really impressed. And that fridge ain't going nowhere!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #68

To secure our refrig, I used existing holes in the bottom pan and drove some wood screws with washers into the cabinet bottom wood floor. The refrig hasn't moved in 2 years of travel.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is one nice wood shop I see you have there in the photos. Nice work I see you have the skills to make it look easy too.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Looks very similar to what i did on my 07 Neptune. I replaced the Norcold with a 16 c.f. whirlpool and built a small cabinet on the side like yours. I made the lower cabinet with 3 small pullout drawers. The top has carpeted openings to store the Corian sink covers. Makes a nice, safe place to store those. The 3 pullout drawers are really only good for spices but had to fill the space someway. Great idea for the broom closet. Great work so far, looks very nice.

Chad Attachment 191925
Thanks Chad. That was my first idea, but Katherine didn't want drawers and we already have two spaces in the pantry for the stove covers. The broom was flopping around in the water closet so this is a good use of a very narrow space.

Tags
norcold