RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 10:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Removing tile

So on our 2000 exe we have tile in the kitchen/bath area looks to be a fiber reinforced ceramic. We do not have a heated floor and are planing to replace with all wood.

Wondering if the tile to laminate switch would devalue the coach? We are also installing a electric Radiant floor heating during the change.

The carpet has to go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 12:39 AM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Go for it!

New upgrades will always show that you cared about your rig.

Happy Glamping.

Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't worry about keeping things original. I removed the tile in our kitchen area and I must say that removing the tile is a brutal job and not for the faint of heart. The adhesive they used is quite remarkable. I tried a couple methods and found that just beating every square inch of the tile with a hammer removed the tile and most of the adhesive without damaging the underlayment. Very dirty/dusty job. Once removed a little more hammering and scraping removed the remains adhesive and tile pieces. I didn't have to repair any of my underlayment. I cannot say this strongly enough, worst job ever so make sure you are up for it before you dig in and get high quality dust masks and be prepared to clean every inch of the inside of the Coach when done along with everything you didn't remove.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I should’ve stated “I” am not doing it. I’ve hired a guy for $400 to come and remove all the flooring in the RV and prep it for new flooring.

I believe that’s $400 well spent.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
I should’ve stated “I” am not doing it. I’ve hired a guy for $400 to come and remove all the flooring in the RV and prep it for new flooring.

I believe that’s $400 well spent.
I took my tile flooring in the kitchen out as well. I left the tile in the bathroom. We put down engineered wood and had the tile/wood transition at the door way. We didn't want the wood near the shower or the toilet, but that was just a personal decision.

I completely bagged off the area with plastic and ran 2 shop vacuums to help minimize the dust. I never though so little tile (compared to a house), could be so difficult to remove. As Chargerman mentioned, the thin set mastic they used was hard to get off. Getting under the slide was brutal.

After the project was complete I think we did 3 or 4 deep cleaning to get all the dust out even with the precautions.

If new product is going under the slides, be sure your installers have experience with that and know what they are doing.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We are doing the install lucky it a floating floor and my slide is not the kind that moves down to level.

They are a “dustless” removal company so that should keep the dust down
Old 02-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
We are doing the install lucky it a floating floor and my slide is not the kind that moves down to level.

They are a “dustless” removal company so that should keep the dust down
I have both the flush and the roller slide. Actually the flush floor was easier to do than the slide with the rollers.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I plan on switching to an engineered floor or vinyl too. When they put that tile in they layed all the cabinets and other stuff right on top of the tile. Why remove the old tile when you can lay the new flooring right on top of ALL the old tile and use plywood to make up the difference in the carpeted areas. As long as you dont put too thick of a product in, you should not have any slide problems.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post
I plan on switching to an engineered floor or vinyl too. When they put that tile in they layed all the cabinets and other stuff right on top of the tile. Why remove the old tile when you can lay the new flooring right on top of ALL the old tile and use plywood to make up the difference in the carpeted areas. As long as you dont put too thick of a product in, you should not have any slide problems.
I think every coach is different, but in my case there's no way I could have gone over the existing tile. I would have had clearance issues with both the raised slides and the flush floor slide.

If you put a thin vinyl material over the tile/grout, you will see the imprint of the tile/grout come though and be noticeable. I suppose you could skim coat the old tile so that issue would me minimized, however, I would be reluctant to do that.

Taking the tile out reduced the weight several hundred pounds, not a lot, but it adds up.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post

What do you do about roller imprints on the floor from the slide out.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just purchased a 2006 Monaco Diplomat, I had it inspected and found cracked tile by the shower, I think the sub floor is soft, any suggestions on how to repair Thanks
tkniskern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkniskern View Post
I just purchased a 2006 Monaco Diplomat, I had it inspected and found cracked tile by the shower, I think the sub floor is soft, any suggestions on how to repair Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
I would highly suggest starting your own thread but.....
If you mean soft and it is because of a leak you need to find the leak.
I believe Monaco's of that vintage are known for having slide leaks. That's the first place I would check.
Good luck.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I would have had clearance issues with both the raised slides and the flush floor slide.
The slide rollers can be adjusted for the thickness of the new flooring of 7mm thickness without causing slide problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
If you put a thin vinyl material over the tile/grout, you will see the imprint of the tile/grout come though and be noticeable.
Again, if you go with a 7mm product, it is very forgiving as to what is underneath the product. They have a foam backer that will fill in the grout lines.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
What do you do about roller imprints on the floor from the slide out.
I plan on using commercial grade engineered flooring, not $1.99 sf vinyl from Lumber Liquidators. Very tough and durable.