Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Renovating RV

Would like to redo the wall in my MH. The 'wallpaper' is identical from bow to stern. I want to be able to know that there are more "rooms" than just "INSIDE" my MH.

To redo the wallpaper, does it have to be:
a. a self-sticking type or b. the old conventional type?

Noticed that some of the corners of the existing wallpaper are turning up.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wallpaper probably won`t stick to the other paper without a primer such as Kilz or Bins -- The orginal is vinyl, & glue can`t grab to it -- It will for awhile, but will turn loose -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

The board is prelaminated board . You will need to remove the surface paper completely. In a motor home or travel trailer because of the extreme heat putting wall paper up the normal way will not work it will simply peel off and come off wall board . So with that said you will need to us scotch bright (green color) and scuff the wood surface once it's prepped you will need to get 3m adhesive at a paint and auto parts store , you will tape off ceiling and cabinets so that over spray glue doesn't get every where and make sure you wear a mask and coach is well ventilated. Then spray walls let sit , prep wall paper and spray it with the glue let it sit till. Oth feel tackey, then put on walls. This will insure a surface that will stick. Let sit
Rvgirl2669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto what the previous poster said. Prime your walls with an appropriate agent and enjoy the amazing variety of papers out there.

Self-stick would be a BEAR to work with, and will come in a limited array of colors and patterns.

We used an embossed anaglypta over paneling in the dinette and hall, botanical print over nasty vinyl in the bedroom, paint and border over luan in the bathroom and copper colored "tin" ceiling panels as a backsplash in the galley.

Not difficult or expensive.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvgirl2669 View Post
The board is prelaminated board . You will need to remove the surface paper completely. In a motor home or travel trailer because of the extreme heat putting wall paper up the normal way will not work it will simply peel off and come off wall board . So with that said you will need to us scotch bright (green color) and scuff the wood surface once it's prepped you will need to get 3m adhesive at a paint and auto parts store , you will tape off ceiling and cabinets so that over spray glue doesn't get every where and make sure you wear a mask and coach is well ventilated. Then spray walls let sit , prep wall paper and spray it with the glue let it sit till. Oth feel tackey, then put on walls. This will insure a surface that will stick. Let sit
You don`t have to remove the old paper, or spray with glue -- Primer & use regular wallpaper -- Been there, done that -- Bill Willard
Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvgirl2669 View Post
I'm going to disagree with this.

Conventional pre-pasted wallpaper will stick just fine to a clean, prepped surface in a motorhome just like it will in a sticks and bricks.

It isn't the heat that makes paper peel off, its a poorly prepared surface or improperly booked paper with paste not well activated.

With all due respect, the above method is a HUGE amount of work without any appreciable payoff.

Clean the walls with TSP, prime with Kilz oil base or another quality high adhesion primer and paper away. We've done this in 3 different motor homes over the last 10 years and so far, its worked great. JMHO

Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been think about trying to give my older MH a new look. Is there anything wrong with just painting? Maybe putting up some nice backsplash tile around the kitchen areas and bathroom sink? I used to put wall paper up in my house, but for the last 10 years, I find I would rather paint and change colors when I want.

So, the question is, does paint work? Will tiles stick to the walls?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sure, paint will work great. Clean the walls, prime, paint.

If you want to use ceramic tile, you'd probably want to use a waterproof backer board, just like in a sticks and bricks. Its possible you could get cracking from flexing, but many people have tile walls and floors in their RVs with no issues (other than weight).

The carpy vinyl-covered hardboard the manufacturers used in so many RVs was not because it was somehow better or more suitable for RV use, but because it was cheap and fast to install.

Getting rid of that "RV standard issue" and decorating your motor home like a HOME will increase your enjoyment so much. One of the joys of owning an older MH is the freedom to redecorate, without fearing loss of resale value.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Did this years ago with another motor home. As the old wallpaper, and the new, was vinyl, I reasoned that a paste used to glue vinyl wallpaper borders on top of wallpaper would work. It did, and some years later when we traded it in, it still looked great. I just washed the old wallpaper and went right over it with the new.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Did this years ago with another motor home. As the old wallpaper, and the new, was vinyl, I reasoned that a paste used to glue vinyl wallpaper borders on top of wallpaper would work. It did, and some years later when we traded it in, it still looked great. I just washed the old wallpaper and went right over it with the new.
I did the same thing the first time I attempted a wallpaper redo -- The new paper looked great, & was really pleased the way it turned out -- BUT, the next day when I went to admire my handi work, it had all fallen off the wall -- That`s when I figured out that a primer was needed first -- A few years later we purchased a used park model to be used as a rental -- The vinyl wall covering looked terrible, so we covered it with primed & then sprayed it with drywall texture, & then with a wide blade, did a knock down -- You could not tell it from a wall that was covered with drywall -- We sold the property a few years ago, but the the texture was still there after more than 10 years -- We perfer Bins with the Red label over Kilz -- Bill Willard
Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't let my DW read this post. I think for my well being the Mods should remove it. My DW would come up with some off the wall color for ME to repaint the wall paper to her liking & my dismay.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Plastic tin looking embossed ceiling panels

I used Plastic "tin looking" rubbed bronze ceiling panels, I have posted a link to allow you to see what it is:

1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Motorhome Restoration Project: Beginning the installation of the kitchen back-splash Sunday 9/12/2010

You can find it at most big box hardware stores
Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Don't let my DW read this post. I think for my well being the Mods should remove it. My DW would come up with some off the wall color for ME to repaint the wall paper to her liking & my dismay.

Good job, I enjoyed seeing a older RV renewed.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote