Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Ron, that is a normal occurance and my feeling but have not actually taken time to diagnose it fully is that the voltage from the generator/converter is a bit higher than the Alternator and loading that voltage down with headlights or mirror heaters is enough to bring it back down a bit.
Okay... this is weird... We just got to Grants Pass, OR today and I read your reply... thank you!

However, my wife noticed a clicking sound in the rear of the coach... so I checked it out. Sure enough, my Trombetta is clicking on, then off... pause... then on, then off, etc. I checked the voltage on the purple wire and it is getting that signal from the IRD.

I checked the front bay and I can hear the IRD click on and off. I don't see anything obviously wrong, but the only way to stop it is to stick a pencil under the "battery boost" switch and force it to stay switched on.

First, any ideas of what's wrong? Second, any harm from leaving the battery boost on... or should I disconnect the IRD/Trombetta? I'm hooked up on 50 amps.

Thanks,

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #58
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ron, that is an interesting situation. Use some gloves and carefully remove the purple wire. The Trombetta will stop cycling.

Measure the voltage on each bank of batteries. I don't know your setup but have a decent idea of how it functions.

If you are connected to shoreline you should see a charging voltage on the coach bank.
A couple of things come to mind. The bird or ird could be sick. Or perhaps the trombetta is not working well and causing a serious difference in voltage across the batteries when they should come up to the same in just moments when the trombetta closes.

Perhaps the ird is sensing a charge high enough to start and then suddenly the voltage drops below the threshold due to the combining of a sick battery bank.

Post a picture of your IRD/Bird device. I'm curious what is clicking up front.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Ron, that is an interesting situation. Use some gloves and carefully remove the purple wire. The Trombetta will stop cycling.

Measure the voltage on each bank of batteries. I don't know your setup but have a decent idea of how it functions.

If you are connected to shoreline you should see a charging voltage on the coach bank.
A couple of things come to mind. The bird or ird could be sick. Or perhaps the trombetta is not working well and causing a serious difference in voltage across the batteries when they should come up to the same in just moments when the trombetta closes.

Perhaps the ird is sensing a charge high enough to start and then suddenly the voltage drops below the threshold due to the combining of a sick battery bank.

Post a picture of your IRD/Bird device. I'm curious what is clicking up front.
First of all, the clicking has slowed down. It doesn't make me feel better, but might help with the diagnosis.

I measured the voltages... Chassis 13.18 volts and House 13.86. It doesn't seem to matter if the Trombetta is open or closed. Which makes me think that the Trombetta is sick... right?

Luckily, I have a spare new Trombetta with me! I bought two the last time it quit about 3 years ago. It's getting dark now, so won't replace until tomorrow. Does this sound right?

Also, attached is a pic of my IRD. I am a bit confused, as I thought the IRD was only supposed to close when the engine is running... or is the circuit board really a BIRD? Oops... just checked the manual... it says I have a BIRD.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Ron
Old 06-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	208283  
Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #61
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you find 13.5 volts on the purple wire the relay should be holding fast with that bird circuit. However, without an analog voltmeter it will be hard to tell.

The easiest way is to replace it since you have a spare. You can hook up the purple and other wire without hooking up the battery cables.

It is best to de-energize the system because removing the purple wire or the ground wire can get you bit by the small shock that can develop when a solenoid is engaged. It won't hurt you but the knuckles you scrape and the head you bang will be hurt.

And yes you do have a bird. That board was from Megatech in Oregon and I don't think you can get them if needed. Ebay is where I last found one.

I have schematics of the Bird circuit for your setup.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I have good voltage on the purple wire. I disconnected it last night to stop the clicking (wore gloves!).

I am replacing the Trombetta this morning... will let you know if that takes care of the problem.

This forum (and the people on it) are the best!

Ron
Old 06-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Mission accomplished!

I replaced the Trombetta and all is good. The clicking has stopped and the voltage measurement across the coach and chassis batteries are the same. Also, the voltage on the purple wire is good.

Thanks Myron for your help and timely article!

Ron

Tags
air, repair