Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Repairing Rotted Air Condenser

Need a little help on the plumbing of the Dash Air Conditioning in a 1996 Monaco Sig. I have all new parts from Source Eng and still need to replace the #6 fitting on the hose at the Condenser. I have traced it as visually as possible but cant tell if it comes off the compressor and goes directly to the condenser (actually filter then condenser) or heads to the front up through the coach and to the evaporator. If someone knows please advise.

Joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #2

The standard practice would be to go compressor directly to the condenser, then the outlet side of the condenser has the filter/dryer before going forward to the evap. Many filters have sight glasses, and this allows you to ensure you have a full charge in the system by observing for bubbles.
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
The standard practice would be to go compressor directly to the condenser, then the outlet side of the condenser has the filter/dryer before going forward to the evap. Many filters have sight glasses, and this allows you to ensure you have a full charge in the system by observing for bubbles.

Ok. So what you are saying is the #6 hose comes off the compressor and goes through the coach to the evaporator? Although my #6 at the condenser has the filter / dryer on it. I am just trying to figure out if its worth the time tracing the hoses off the compressor? or try to find a portable crimper to install the rotted fitting while leaving the hose in the coach.

joe
Old 07-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #4

Ditto, direct from compressor to condenser.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

You keep interchanging the condenser and evaporator. Goes from the compressor as hot gas, changes to liquid at the condenser and on to the evaporator thru the expansion valve. If you have a DP I would expect to find the condenser at the back in front of or very close to radiator.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
You keep interchanging the condenser and evaporator. Goes from the compressor as hot gas, changes to liquid at the condenser and on to the evaporator thru the expansion valve. If you have a DP I would expect to find the condenser at the back in front of or very close to radiator.

I just want to know what line does what? I have a #8 hose and a #6 hose coming off the compressor. In the automotive applications I have looked at the #6 hose goes directly to the Condenser. Then the #8 hose comes off the Condenser and goes to the Evaporator. Then a #8 hose comes back to the Compressor. Is this the same plumbing configuration in the Signature?

joe
Old 07-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Ditto, direct from compressor to condenser.
Ok. Thats what I needed to know. So it is worth the time and filth (this thing has been under oiled since new,,, yuck) to pull the #6 hose off the compressor and pull it out for fitting replacement. Just didn't want to spend the time and find out its headed right up to the dash.

joe
Old 07-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

Normally the larger line is suction line that returns from evaporator to compressor, smaller line from compressor is discharge line and is piped direct to condenser. If I remember right my Safari MH condenser was located at front of coach and had it's own condenser fan.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Normally the larger line is suction line that returns from evaporator to compressor, smaller line from compressor is discharge line and is piped direct to condenser. If I remember right my Safari MH condenser was located at front of coach and had it's own condenser fan.

This condenser is mounted at the rear in front of the coolant rad, inter cooler, hydraulic cooler, and years of the fans pulling road salt in took its toll on the units. All are going in new. The corrosion was so bad that i could not save the Air Conditioning fitting on the #6 hose. The #8 was saved by days of oiling and came off the condenser fitting. The #6 hose needs a new fitting. I will put on my coveralls and pull the #6 hose out. Much easier to install the new fitting.

Thanks for the info.

joe
Old 07-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #10

I never studied the line sizes. But the small line off the compressor goes straight to the condenser, then the dryer, then forward to the dash area where the evaporator is located.

The larger line goes from the evaporator in the front aaaalllll the way back to the compressor.
Cj D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
I never studied the line sizes. But the small line off the compressor goes straight to the condenser, then the dryer, then forward to the dash area where the evaporator is located.

The larger line goes from the evaporator in the front aaaalllll the way back to the compressor.

Thanks for responding. Looks like my plan my work.

joe
Old 07-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #12

Just wanted to update this post as I know when I need info it drives me nuts when threads end without the answers.

We did some work last night tracing hoses. We took what was believed to be a #6 line off the compressor (of course the nut was seized to the fitting and took some time to get it free without damaging the fitting). We used compressed air to make sure the hose was in fact the #6 at the condenser. Low and behold the air came out the larger hose (we did take into consideration the air could travel through the evaporator and back to the condenser) The time factor and sound confirmed the hose was in fact the #8 at the condenser (my belief was the smaller hose at the compressor was a #6 but in fact is a #8) Soooooo the #8 from the compressor goes directly to the condenser (since it was the smaller of the two I assumed it was a #6). The #6 from the condenser goes to the filter and then directly to the evaporator through the coach. The hose coming through the coach back to the compressor looks to be a #10 hose. I am going to have to find a crimper to repair the hose the #8 fitting that was rotted at the condenser. Thanks all for your input.

joe
Old 07-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #13

After calling many repair shops I finally just ordered a crimper for myself. keep you all posted on the results.

joe
Old 05-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #14

Just wanted to update this post as I hate posts that drop off without an ending. I did get my crimper and repaired the fittings in the coach without removing any hoses. Source Engineering were a great help in finding fittings for this old beast. I had a good repair shop in our area lend me their nitrogen pressure test kit and was able to put 300psi on the system. I had a bunch of leaks. Mostly poor crimps from the factory (thank god I purchased the crimper). After recrimping many original fittings I was able to get 300psi to sit for an extended period of time with no leakage. The shop I was working with told me to do a compressor check with about 50lbs of pressure on the system and clutch engaged. Start the engine momentarily and make sure the needle moved upward. Ya right,,, nothing. Compressor was shot also. To my surprise the local Peterbuilt dealer sourced the exact Valeo compressor and the switch was a breeze. We evacuated the system and added 4 0z of Paq oil before we charged it with 4 lbs of 134R. The rebuild was a success as we seen 35f at the dash vents. Waiting now to get out on the road and give it a good test. I dont know what this would have cost at a shop (I have heard $5000 and up) but I was able to get it done for about $1500 (parts only). Any questions dont be afraid to ask. Many have helped on this forum and its fun to give back. cheers!

joe

Tags
air, dash air conditioning, repair