Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replace A/C's

I need to replace my 3 AC's as they are not preforming up to par. They are 16 years old. Plan on using Dometic Penquin 13K or 15K units with heat pumps.
I know I will need to deal with the thermostats as new units don't work with the 5 button ones. Has anybody replaced an AC unit and went to the new
CCC II thermostat? How do you like it? Does it connect to the Aqua-Hot??

Thanks
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced both A/C units with the Dometic Penguin II High-Capacity heat pumps a while back, with the CCC2 thermostat. We are having a problem with the fans not staying on when set to "medium" instead of "Auto". We really like the new thermostat!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

3 units not working "up to par".? You need to expound on this. My first RV was 16 years old with a 100% working AC when I sold it.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #4

Mine are the original 20 plus years old and I have great efficiency.

I like it 64 or so all summer.

No, they dont run all the time either.

It may pay to have them checked out by a Professional.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You've probably already thought of giving the inside & outside coils a good cleaning, and make sure they're not dirty or clogged?
Old 01-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #6

The PO changed out the roof ac's with Penquin two's 15000 btu. Thermostat is the ccc 10 button and it does control 2 aqua-hot heating zones. But agree with others, newer ac's don't appear to be as reliable as older ones. Sold a 1999 coach with ac/heatpumps that were used in either hp or ac all year long.
Still running well after 20 years.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
My 04 Dynasty is still in the family with the 3 original heat pumps that are still going strong. Recently had to replace one capacitor and raise one fan motor up so the fan doesn’t drag. Based on the many comments about the higher pressure Freon units only lasting to when there is no warranty, not sure I’d replace them. 10 years ago I bought a old style unit as a spare. With 6 units it’s cheap insurance to have a new spare one.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With the cost, and problems (especially the reversing valve) that have been posted on the IRV2 forum, would you be better off just buying a Penguin A/C without heat pump and just use your furnace when needed?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I should of stated the problem on my original post. The heat pump just guit and the AC part is not working as good as it used to. The temp of the air conditioning air is far less than the other two units. I just figured it was getting weak.. I have an RV repair person coming to check them out soon. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning.

Safe travels
Dave
Old 01-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
With the cost, and problems (especially the reversing valve) that have been posted on the IRV2 forum, would you be better off just buying a Penguin A/C without heat pump and just use your furnace when needed?
Exactly what we plan to do. We have never used the heat pumps whatsoever. The furnace works very well in our RV. One of our units is not working very well either. I have cleaned the coils and checked everything except the line pressures as there are no ports.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
I should of stated the problem on my original post. The heat pump just guit and the AC part is not working as good as it used to. The temp of the air conditioning air is far less than the other two units. I just figured it was getting weak.. I have an RV repair person coming to check them out soon. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning.

Safe travels
Dave
Let us know how things work out.

I don't think my front unit cools/ heats as well as the other two. Considering swapping it with the bedroom unit, and let it live out it's golden years with very low demand !
Old 01-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Dave
The default on the older units (up to 2008-9) is heat when something in the control circuit stops working...newer units is cool and why you have to replace the Tstat.
OP, if the heat doesn’t work (default condition), the AC is not going to either. I recharged a unit on my previous 98 Beaver by putting a line tap on the low pressure and adding Freon 22. Used my IR temp gun to judge when I’d added enough 22...you want 90% of the condenser coils hot. Have not needed to add 22 to any of the 6 units in the family...3 are 16 years old, like yours and 3 are 12 years old.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
. I recharged a unit on my previous 98 Beaver by putting a line tap on the low pressure and adding Freon 22. Used my IR temp gun to judge when I’d added enough 22...you want 90% of the condenser coils hot. Have not needed to add 22 to any of the 6 units in the family...3 are 16 years old, like yours and 3 are 12 years old.
Any details (write-up and/or pictures) showing how you did this?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #14

Good idea to have it looked at for sure.
Try to keep in mind that a lot of service folks will just want to replace rather than actually take the time to troubleshoot. Not saying your person is that way, just making a note of it.

The coil inside (evaporator) or outside (Condenser) may be very dirty and need a cleaning, or the unit may actually need BER service work (replaced).

A lot of us (motorhome owners) tend to be in no rush to install the new cooling units due to the common poor press they get.

A whole other story here but the Monaco duct work is rather lacking so the duct could be crushed restricting your flow of air. Mine were on my 99, a HUGE improvement in air flow after fixing that.

Don't be afraid to allow the technician to remove the ceiling trim to get to the inlet filter and look up in the inlet assembly to check the evaporator coils.

Also, they can cut into the plenum (ceiling duct) with a box cutter and open it up, look inside for crushed ducts using mirror and flashlight and just re-tape the duct back together when done. If like my 99 and 05, it is just 1/4 inch thick foam duct material. Easily opened and sealed back shut.
Mine were crushed where the AC unit mates to the plenum, it was just poor fitment...

Hope you can get it fixed without replacement, that would be a great solution!
Windecker

Quote:

Safe travels
Dave
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace