Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #1

Replace in 2001 Dynasty A/C’s ???

We have a question on replacing our ac units. We are of course hoping for a “plug and play” replacement and intend to go with the Penguin II. When replacing the AC unit. It seems prudent to replace the thermostats also as they original. The ac’s work but are getting very noisy, rattle a lot and do not cool as they should. My question is when replacing ac units and thermostats will the old control wire between ac and thermostat work. I read the long post from 2017 but he changed the circuit board. It seems to me that.
Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes. If you are replacing both the rooftop units and new CCC2 thermostats, you can just re-use the phone cable running in between. Plug-n-play in that respect...
Technically it's a data cable, which is wired differently than a 'phone' cable that uses the same the same RJ-11 plugs.
The rooftop units will not be compatible with your old thermostat. So you will need to replace them at the same time. Dometic also sells a replacement circuit board that does work with the old thermostats if you wanted to keep the old thermostat(s). But it costs about as much as a new thermostat.
Something to keep in mind: the new CCC2 is 5-3/4" wide. Make sure you've got room for it.
Also, the new CCC2 has a 1-1/2" diameter protrusion sticking out of the back. So you'll need a corresponding hole in the wall to accommodate it.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
Yes. If you are replacing both the rooftop units and new CCC2 thermostats, you can just re-use the phone cable running in between. Plug-n-play in that respect...
Technically it's a data cable, which is wired differently than a 'phone' cable that uses the same the same RJ-11 plugs.
The rooftop units will not be compatible with your old thermostat. So you will need to replace them at the same time. Dometic also sells a replacement circuit board that does work with the old thermostats if you wanted to keep the old thermostat(s). But it costs about as much as a new thermostat.
Something to keep in mind: the new CCC2 is 5-3/4" wide. Make sure you've got room for it.
Also, the new CCC2 has a 1-1/2" diameter protrusion sticking out of the back. So you'll need a corresponding hole in the wall to accommodate it.
Cheers,
Walter
Good advice!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #4

Thank you Walter. We have plenty of room for the thermostats. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Gary
Old 05-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you replace both rooftop A/C units and also install a new CCC2 thermostat everything is pretty much plug and play. The existing RJ-11 telephone comm cords will work great. You may want to use some DeOxit to clean the connections while you're in there.

Another thought. You may want to consider the 15,000 btu (high capacity) Penguin II heat pumps. They are a little more versatile than a straight A/C unit and the extra cooling capacity will really help cool a 40' coach.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #6

I would skip the ccc2 thermostat and go with one of these.

https://www.hutchmountain.com/produc...-rv-thermostat

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing AC's

I replace my 13.5K AC's with 15K Penguin's about a year ago on my 2K Dynasty Regal and can tell you it's a noticeable upgrade. Both in the Heat pump side and cooling. Fairly plug and play with Dometic-3314082000 Thermostat

The one problem that developed is the previous Thermostat had a FURNACE mode and the new one does not. The Heat pumps are great down to 30 or so but the furnace also throws heat into tank areas. I would be interested if anyone has figured a workaround.

Thanks
Trace
TraceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceJohnson View Post
The one problem that developed is the previous Thermostat had a FURNACE mode and the new one does not. The Heat pumps are great down to 30 or so but the furnace also throws heat into tank areas. I would be interested if anyone has figured a workaround.

Thanks
Trace
Should just be a matter of configuring the dip switches on the the penguin circuit board. The board has output for furnace/aquahot in addition to heat and cool modes. They also have an output for electric resistive heat strips that can be installed in the overhead units. These features are enabled on the circuit board, and then you should see them in the CCC options.
Cheers,
Walter
Click image for larger version

Name:	dip.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	328077
Old 05-12-2021, 09:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'll check that thanks
TraceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags