Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2023, 06:41 PM   #1

Replace inverter

Has anyone replaced trace rv2012 with xantrex sw3012? 2003 Monaco windsor
Monacowindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2023, 07:16 PM   #2

Did a rv2500 to 3012
Old 03-10-2023, 09:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced our Trace inverter, but not with a Xantrex. Xantrex is now made offshore. Both parts and support are difficult. I installed a Magnum pure sine wave inverter with a new Magnum remote.
Some folks are installing Victron inverters and reporting great performance.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacowindor View Post
Has anyone replaced trace rv2012 with xantrex sw3012? 2003 Monaco windsor
Personally, I would put a Magnum PSW in.

I had a magnum MSW and it was flawless, except it was too old and would not be compatible with Lithium per several retailers and the manufacture. I also wanted to upgrade to a PSW inverter.

During Covid, the Magnum PSW's were backordered 12 weeks or more, even with the manufacture. So I changed out to a Victron. Not a plug and play (actually quite involved) installation but the features are pretty impressive.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #5

This maybe similar. Getting ready to do install not sure what to do with green 4/0 currently on trace rv2012?
Old 03-11-2023, 08:59 AM   #6

Yeah I did contemplate that option but decided on xantrex sw3012 with limited electrical knowledge this maybe an easier transition.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
This maybe similar. Getting ready to do install not sure what to do with green 4/0 currently on trace rv2012?
The green was off a shunt internally to measure amperage. Not on the new style. Run a 4/0 ground to the frame lug or a ground back to the batteries, however yours is wired. Mine has a ground post welded to the frame next to the inverter.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Yeah I did contemplate that option but decided on xantrex sw3012 with limited electrical knowledge this maybe an easier transition.
You won’t be sorry, lots of failures being posted on the magnums here too. They’re just newer.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:45 AM   #9

True sine wave, for that price I'd look hard at other options. I have a personal bias against Xantrex products, every one I have every owned (inherited actually) has failed. That unit looks suspiciously like the modified wave box updated to "True" wave which I feel is not as good as a pure wave unit. The AIMS 3000 is substantially less money. Whatever you choose consider your remote panel.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
The green was off a shunt internally to measure amperage. Not on the new style. Run a 4/0 ground to the frame lug or a ground back to the batteries, however yours is wired. Mine has a ground post welded to the frame next to the inverter.
I've also seen 4/0 ground get connected straight to negative post on 3012 wondering if this may pose some problems? Trace did have a separate copper ground mounted on the inverter via a smaller lug. Anyhow thanks for the insights this puts me a few steps closer to tackling this on tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:01 PM   #11

Quote:
I've also seen 4/0 ground get connected straight to negative post on 3012 wondering if this may pose some problems? Trace did have a separate copper ground mounted on the inverter via a smaller lug. Anyhow thanks for the insights this puts me a few steps closer to tackling this on tomorrow.
You need a positive and a negative. The small body ground is for a 120 fault or short. Also if your negative cable goes straight to battery negative make sure you also have a 4/0 cable from battery negative to your frame, the now unused green cable can be used for that if you choose and it’s long enough. No it won’t cause problems, it has to be there. Inverter negative, battery negative and frame have to all be connected together. Better to not call it a ground. You’ll confuse the two.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #12

I see many people mentioned battery cable, you definitely need a 4/0 gauge calbe for 12v side.
But also make sure you have enough size 120V cable. My 2000 Windsor has 10awg wire goes into my old rv2012 inverter, that's fine. If in any case you have 12 awg wire, that will not be enough.

In addition, I highly recommend Victron Multiplus 3000/12 for you.
I have 2x Multiplus 3000/24v. Works great for 240v setup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9854.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	387999
Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
You need a positive and a negative. The small body ground is for a 120 fault or short. Also if your negative cable goes straight to battery negative make sure you also have a 4/0 cable from battery negative to your frame, the now unused green cable can be used for that if you choose and it’s long enough. No it won’t cause problems, it has to be there. Inverter negative, battery negative and frame have to all be connected together. Better to not call it a ground. You’ll confuse the two.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:48 AM   #14

You might also check the Victron quattro, it has two separate ac inputs for shore and Generator, so it doesn't need external hardware. And these are available in 3/5/8/10 and 15kw.
Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, inverter, replace