Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

Replace section of the top subfloor

my Monaco has 2 layers of OSB sub flooring in it. I have a small section that the top layer has gotten wet and needs to be replaced. It doesn't appear to be glued down to the bottom layer. Would you glue or just screw the new section down to the bottom subfloor when I replace it. I have heard that you don't need to glue it because it will make it permanent an would moves during the seasons and it may cause the ceramic tile to crack thats installed as this is my flooring thru out the motorhome. Your thoughts?
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Need to know what you end up doing. My floor was wet close to the sink area and I repaired it a couple of times. Each time my tiles cracked after repair. I am going to try again. I bought some Semi mud flap material that I might try with "Fusion" from Home Depot. I will take my time this time because I only have a few tiles left. Just make sure you identify how you got the water damage before proceeding. I have one large slide out that includes the sink. the Flex hose from the sink drain to the stationary drain point was wore out. Had to cut into the wall to replace the hose. Now have removable panel for future problems. I will try one more time.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #3

what are you using to glue down the tile? They say not to use cement based only use a flexible cement to glue down tile. The cement based will cause cracking.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitches View Post
what are you using to glue down the tile? They say not to use cement based only use a flexible cement to glue down tile. The cement based will cause cracking.
I think that is what I did. Also the roller on the slide was not rolling even over the the tiles. Weight distribution was not even. So this time I will take my time to make sure. Fusion is a rubberized sealant so I think I will give it a try. Or something equivalent. Will test it first before applying. If you have any suggestions I am listening. My floor I believe is called a floating floor. It is soft.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 10-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
I think that is what I did. Also the roller on the slide was not rolling even over the the tiles. Weight distribution was not even. So this time I will take my time to make sure. Fusion is a rubberized sealant so I think I will give it a try. Or something equivalent. Will test it first before applying. If you have any suggestions I am listening. My floor I believe is called a floating floor. It is soft.
Normally tile is not a 'floating floor', at least not in an RV. Maybe elaborate??

What is soft? The sub floor? That is concerning to me.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitches View Post
my Monaco has 2 layers of OSB sub flooring in it. I have a small section that the top layer has gotten wet and needs to be replaced. It doesn't appear to be glued down to the bottom layer. Would you glue or just screw the new section down to the bottom subfloor when I replace it. I have heard that you don't need to glue it because it will make it permanent an would moves during the seasons and it may cause the ceramic tile to crack thats installed as this is my flooring thru out the motorhome. Your thoughts?
On mine the top layer was not glued to the bottom layer. Whether this was for cost-cutting or for an engineering advantage I have no idea. I used glue and a lot of screws when I replaced a section of the top layer.

Of course, the most important thing for this repair to last is to make sure that the source of the water has been addressed.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Normally tile is not a 'floating floor', at least not in an RV. Maybe elaborate??

What is soft? The sub floor? That is concerning to me.
Not sure. I have the 98 Brochure and they describe the construction and layers of the walls and roof but not too good on the the floor. I didn't invent "Floating" I got that from one of the forums years ago and not from the specs. Description is"Vacuum-bonded laminated floor......1 1/2 steel tubing filled with Dow Structure Foam......deck is 5/8 inch Structure wood....under framework is a layer of 1/4 inch Luan bonded to a puncture resistant Darco outer skin. By floating I assume they mean not-rigid. Best i can do on that. (It is not tile cemeted to a hard base. This is part of my problem. I am trying to find someway to have the same "soft consistancy" as the rest of the floor. I am hoping the rubber material I have purchased will be close to it. Will listen to any ideas. Hope this explains it for you.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 10-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would use LOTS of drywall screws!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #9

do not use drywall screws, use subfloor screws. the drywall screw heads will break off if floor moves any.

Tags
ace, floor, replace