Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #71

Roger, If you don't have any equipment beneath your 4 door Norcold you should not have any problems installing one of these counter depth Samsungs. I think the model number is RF197 that a lot of people are installing. If you have a furnace or a Aqua Hot type system, plumbing, or heating duct under your Norcold then you will have to measure how much height in your cabinet you have to work with. Some people have had a shelf under the Norcold and they could lower the floor that the Norcold sits on. It depends on what is under your Norcold. George R. 2001 Diplomat
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #72

Couldn't stand it any longer and had to go look. Nothing but a pull out drawer under the refrig. Now to google the specs on the Samsung. I thought it looked familiar we have a Samsung in the house the old one finally bit the dust. So this should be an easy sell to DW.
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #73

Jeepster

I like GPW's earlier suggestion . I am currently "camping" in this Texas heat and went to bed last nite with frig at 48 degrees and frzr at 16 with setting on "9". This morning frig was at 38 and frzr at 11. Something IS working but it's the inconsistency and high temps that we just can't live with. Oh yes, also the chance of overheating and ammonia leaks is worrisome. Samsung here we come......
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
To late for me but everyone contemplating the switch should form a group to see if you could get a deal on bulk quantities of Samsungs. Maybe form a used Norcold supply too.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #75

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
To late for me but everyone contemplating the switch should form a group to see if you could get a deal on bulk quantities of Samsungs. Maybe form a used Norcold supply too.
DIRECT BUY

DirectBuy Club: The Best Way to Buy Direct
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Not to add fuel to the fire (or ammonia to the leak...) but after the swapout, I reassembled my Notcold 1210IMSS to see if I could coax it back to life - or determine the root failure-mode.

I went thru the various incantations as to tilting the cooling unit upside-down, laying it on its side, etc, in hopes of dislodging the 'clot' (or whatever), with no luck. There had been no leaks, no ammonia smell or anything, just inadequate cooling.

After studying all of the Notcold as well as aftermarket information, I did a total reseal of the internal coils and cooling unit with the recommended foil-tape and 3 tubes of the thermal mastic (that stuff's EXPENSIVE!) and I believe it's as tight as it can get. After reassembly, I put thermometer-probes in multiple locations throughout the freezer and frig portions, as well as above the boiler-stack.

Unfortunately, it's working just like it did when it was in the coach. In an external environment that stays about 80F, I can get an empty freezer down to maybe 15-20F after 12 hours but only 70F in the frig. After 24+ hours, I can get maybe 5-8F freezer and 45F in the frig. If i leave it all closed for several days, I can the frig to maybe 35-38F, but that's it.

Putting in jugs of cool water (simulating foodstuff) just knocked the times thru the roof, but it would cool back down... eventually... but that often took a couple days to get any substantial changes.

Highest I ever saw the probe next to the fan-controlling thermistor in the top-most coils is 99F - way cooler than the thermistor cut-in of ~130F, indicating that it's not heating sufficiently.

I also tried more fans, wiring the heaters direct, and all of the other recommended cures.

Bottom line - something's definitely wrong with the cooling unit. If yours is acting anything like mine, I doubt anything will change it except for a complete cooling unit (or frig) swapout.

Interesting sidenote: while typing this, a friend called to ask if I could help him. His frig was working "sorta" (his words) when he had his awning out and covering the frig vent from the afternoon sun, but wouldn't do "squat" (again his words) when he retracted the awning. Same symptoms, and probably the same diagnosis.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #77

Thanks Rick, looks great.
This coming Monday we're having the Samsung 197 installed in our 2001 Endeavor. I was thinking about removing the furnace completely as I'm pressed for height. We only used the furnace 1 0r 2 times in the past couple of years. Thinking about installing a blue flame heater with a quick disconnect if we need it. We usually use the heat pumps or 2 ceramic heaters. Guess I'll wait until I see the space with the Norcold out.
Ed

edkayelee
2001 Endeavor, 330, 2 slides
2004 Honda Odyssey
edkayelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #78

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
OK,

This thread has sold me on the Samsung......

I am going to replace the 2003 model "Energy Hog" Amana residential in my rig to a new Samsung...

The SO wanted a bottom freezer anyways.

Off topic question...Why are there no "US Made" refrigerator freezers anymore??
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #79
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Simple answer - Government regulation and the EPA

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
OK,

Off topic question...Why are there no "US Made" refrigerator freezers anymore??
My thought and we shouldn't let this get to be a political discussion and is already off topic is.

We have been sold out!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Went to Lowes this a/m to get info on getting a Samsung 197 and details on delivery etc. The sales guy didn't have one so he checked on-line and found that Lowes no longer carried it. I'd suggest that if you're going to use Lowes, call ahead.
Ron
Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
Went to Lowes this a/m to get info on getting a Samsung 197 and details on delivery etc. The sales guy didn't have one so he checked on-line and found that Lowes no longer carried it. I'd suggest that if you're going to use Lowes, call ahead.
Ron
Ron,
Try again if you want to buy form Lowes. If you get Skippy the part time kid it is not available. We had a pretty sharp full time salesman (lady actually) that looked it up in a second and showed us a larger one that was similar so we could get an idea what it was like.

It is possible they don't sell them anymore but ours is only a few months old.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Ron,
Try again if you want to buy form Lowes. If you get Skippy the part time kid it is not available. We had a pretty sharp full time salesman (lady actually) that looked it up in a second and showed us a larger one that was similar so we could get an idea what it was like.

It is possible they don't sell them anymore but ours is only a few months old.
Actually the guy was the dept manager!! He knew what I wanted and he had 2 of the larger RF217 models on the floor to show. I want to order a RF197 later this year so I was doing my due dilligence. The only reason I would buy it from Lowes is because they deliver free within 70 mi and when I asked abot removing the doors and putting it in the MH he indicated that they do remove doors, both on the fridge and the house, regularly and do "odd" deliveries as long as it didn't take all day. I will check with them again when I'm ready to go with the job.
Thanks!!
Ron
Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
Ron

I just ordered one from Sears today. Today was the last day to get free shipping and free delivery to the house. It is scheduled to arrive Aug 19. Tuned the NotCold off last weekend and getting ready to take it apart and out through the door.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold