Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replacement Coach Batteries

For all you 2007 Monaco Knight owners. I recently had to replace my 3-4 year old Interstate coach batteries. I wanted to use the T-105 Trojan battery which I know is a quality battery. As I watched the technican install the T-105's we both noticed that the Trojan batteries would not fit in my battery comparment. I needed 1/4 to 1/2 inch more room to make the Trojan battery fit 2 in a column. The Trojan batteries are made with ribs along the bottom rim of the battery. These ribs prevented the battery from fitting down in the metal comparment. The orginal Interstate batteries are smooth on the outside of the battery and 2 batteries fit fine side to side and front to rear. I purchased 4 US-2000 batteries instead of the Trojan batteries. The US-2000 are also smooth on the outside so they fit just fine. Cost per battery was $116.44 each. The batteries have an 18 month warranty. Purchased the batteries at Wellspring Componets in Shipsewanna Indiana. Does anyone else use the US-2000 battery. If so, are you happy with them?
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I hear the US Battery is a pretty decent 6v deep cycle battery. They look just like the Interstate U2200 battery which look the same as the Sams 6v deep cycle but the US Battery has a much better warranty. Sam's has only a 6 month battery. Probably all the same battery. My original Interstates lasted about 4.5 years which is about average for most 6v deep cycle batteries. I kept mine well watered and on a maintainer so they were not abused.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been looking at batteries this week and trying to buy a reasonably good battery that won't break the bank. One of the distributors told me that US Battery is made by Interstate Batteries. I don't know if that is true.

I contacted a dealer that we use at work. He had the 6 volt Deka batteries in AGM for $200.00 each and and the East Penn 12 volt batteries in AGM for $200.00 also. I need all six batteries and $1200.00 + $120.00 tax was a little much.

I found a local Interstate dealer and will buy the U2200's, now called the GC2's for $120.00 each. For the starting batteries they recommended an upgrade to the Interstate M31's, also $120.00.

I'm still going to have an $800.00 bill, but the Interstates have served me well. None of them are bad, but they are not lasting as long while on the inverter. They're a little over 5 years old and I believe in prevenative maintenance. I also decided to stick with a battery that I can find a replacement for on the road if there is an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club
Don, Interstate told me to go to Sam's. They supply Sam's with the 2200 battery and Sam's sells them for less. This saved me about $25 per battery.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to gordons1
SAMs won't install batteries for rv's

I have been told this- what are our options? This is a serious procedure; if you are going to try it yourself, make sure you take a pic of the current hookup or do a detailed drawing so you don't make any mistakes on what wires go where!
gordons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Johnson Controls makes most of the wet cell Interstate batteries and they also make Sam's, most of Sears batteries and a whole bunch of others. I just replaced my 4+ year old Interstate that were getting pretty weak with Sam's 6v deep cycle and the crates the batteries were in said Johnson Controls. They we about $67 each.

We don't dry camp that much so, to me, can't justify the cost of AGM. But when you figure in all the service a bank of batteries require maybe the AGM's are worth the cost. Also, it's difficult to justify the premium for the Trojan's over the Sam's or Costco 6v batteries. Plenty of anecdotal evidence but little empirical evidence to support claims of vastly increased life span over other 6v deep cycle batteries.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordons1 View Post
I have been told this- what are our options? This is a serious procedure; if you are going to try it yourself, make sure you take a pic of the current hookup or do a detailed drawing so you don't make any mistakes on what wires go where!
I made a drawing of the wiring for my batteries to give me a visual reference to work off of. There are also many resources online about batteries and some show you basic wiring for parallel and series wiring. One good site is Welcome to Battery University another is RV Batteries Wiring Diagrams. I also know I've seen forum members with good wiring diagrams on the 6 and 12 volt wiring.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordons1 View Post

Good point and good idea. When I changed out the house batteries I took a color picture of the top of the batteries and used Picasa edit to add remarks and where each pos and neg pole was located on the battery. One false move with a wrong connect can do lots of damage and scare the devil out of you.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #9

Interstate does not do any manufacturing. I would bet that most of the 6 volt golf cart batteries are generic ( not Trojan). The only difference between these would be the label and the warranty. The next time any Monaco owner is looking for chassis batteries try one of the HD truck parts dept. Freightliner uses these as almost a loss leader. Group 31 is very popular and the pricing from these sources is amazing.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Interstate does not do any manufacturing. I would bet that most of the 6 volt golf cart batteries are generic ( not Trojan). The only difference between these would be the label and the warranty. The next time any Monaco owner is looking for chassis batteries try one of the HD truck parts dept. Freightliner uses these as almost a loss leader. Group 31 is very popular and the pricing from these sources is amazing.

Thats good to know Moisheh. I'm pretty close to replacing the chassis batts. Who makes the FL group 31 batts?

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #11

I dont know who makes them but they are made in N.A. The mfr. is really unimportant as they can be made to any standard. I have used them in at least 4 trucks in our fleet. Our last MH was on an FL chassis and was 6 years old when I sold it . Batteries were still OK. I am reired now and no longer hands on so I cannot give you the current price.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My original Interstates, four 6 volt batteries, lasted 7 years before needing to be replaced. And that was without great maintenance and service. I replaced them with the same exact battery because of the great performance. The chassis battery is still the original and is going strong at 9 years old. When the day comes that it decides to give up, I will then give Coach-Net a call to see how well their road service is as I have them for the next 3 years.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced all six of my batteries on Friday. The old 12 volt Workaholics were considered sealed batteries, but you could slice through the label, remove the caps and add water. The battery dealer said the new 12 volt Workaholics are very difficult to open up and you'll probably break the one piece cap. The new cap has a vent tube in the center. I added a Profill water system and used the extra clear tubing to attach a tube to both vent tubes on the new batteries and ran the tubes out of the bottom of the battery box.

This is the first time that I've had my batteries out. I never really looked at the battery tray that closely. It's a thick plastic tray that gives pretty good protection. I removed it to find some rust and corrosion. I cleaned up the metal, sprayed the sidewalls with black paint and the bottom of the tray with rubberized undercoating. It's nice to have a pretty battery box again.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to gordons1
where did you buy your house batteries?..how much $$?

did you have the company install them?
gordons1 is offline   Reply With Quote