Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Replacement for Dexron III

I have transynd in my Allison but I have a Nelson hydraulic reservoir for my fan and power steering and a hwh tank for the hydraulic slide. What is the recommended replacement fluid for Dexron III and can you mix it with old Dexron III?

Found this on the www
Dexron VI
introduced in 2005, and was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for model year 2006. All Dexron-III licenses expired permanently at the end of 2006, and GM now supports only Dexron-VI fluids for use in their automatic transmissions,[3] although fluids asserted by their manufacturers to meet Dexron-III standards continue to be sold under names such as Dex/Merc. These fluids are not regulated or endorsed by GM.[4]

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

I am happy to use any of the now-uncertified Dexron III products in these other hydraulic systems. For authoritative advice, I would call the manufacturers of each DexIII system and ask for a recommendation. I have a large supply of Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic multi-vehicle ATF and would use it without hesitation.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I am happy to use any of the now-uncertified Dexron III products in these other hydraulic systems.
X2 - I use the Dex/Merc III fluid in my hydraulic jacks. Using an uncertified fluid in a new transmission may not be advised, but I don't see that the hydraulic jacks are any kind of severe service. My PowerGear manual has this to say:
Quote:
In most applications, Type A automatic transmission fluid (ATF, Dexron III, etc.,) will work satisfactorily. Mercon V is also recommended as an alternative fluid for Power Gear leveling systems

If operating in cold temperatures (less than -10 F) the jacks may extend and retract slowly.

For cold weather operation, fluid specially-formulated for low temperatures may be desirable. Mobil DTE 11M, Texaco Rando HDZ-15HVI, Kendall Hyden Glacial Blu, or any Mil. Spec. H5606 hydraulic fluids are recommended for cold weather operation.

Please consult factory before using any other fluids.
Given the rather vague wording and wide range of fluids mentioned, I don't think it's that critical. It's not an expensive transmission that operates under high stress and heat.

For your power steering/fan, I would look at your manuals and see what other fluids they recommend, or contact the manufacturer. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I would rate those systems as being more critical than the slides/jacks, but perhaps not as critical as the transmission?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff I have AW46 hydraulic fluid in my hyd system, why are you changing it does it smell bad or contaminated, that would be the only reason I would change it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

For the transmission, I would not mix any other type of fluid with the Transynd fluid. As far as Dextron III, since it is kind of hard to find, you can use Dextron IV with out any issues. It is not advisable to go the other direction(putting Dextron III in a system the requires Dextron IV).
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There has never been a fluid named "Dextron" but I've seen the name misspelled like that even in Allison publications.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D I don't think it matters we all knew what he was talking about.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

Us 'red necks' are not known for our correct spelling, but we do get the point across!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There has never been a fluid named "Dextron" but I've seen the name misspelled like that even in Allison publications.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Jeff I have AW46 hydraulic fluid in my hyd system, why are you changing it does it smell bad or contaminated, that would be the only reason I would change it.

Changing the three filters in the Nelson Hydraulic Reservoir and need to replace what I remove to expose the filters with new.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff you can get them out with a coat hanger straighten out, no need to drain. I just fished the filters out of my hyd tank.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement