Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #1

Replacement Tires

My '08 Cayman is equipped with Goodyear G760 RV's, size 255/70R/22.5 load range H. The coach will be five years old in a few months. Went to a shop for other maintenance and ask them to check the tire wear. They advised that I should replace the front tires - and that I should have the coach (front and rear) aligned. They quoted $1795 for the new tires and $275 for the alignment.

Questions:

Is this just sitcker shock or is this shop way over-priced?

Is it common for the coach to need alignment (20k miles)?

Is there an "average" life for the tires?

Hooter G
Hooter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #2

That's not too far off for tires. You might want to shop around. Your talking $300 per tire and I would have my frontend aligned with new tires.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I went with Hankook this time.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you are worried that they may be trying to pull a fast one then by all means get a second opinion.
Check out prices for all brands of tires if you do need new ones.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wait. Is it $1700 just for front tires? If so. Way too high. The alignment sounds ok but 2 Goodyear tires should cost maybe $1k.
If look around.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Last time I bought tires was three weeks ago and the Goodyear tire were going for 750 per tire. I bought the sumitomo brand for 450 per tire.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Tire age: from reading several forums it seems that the the vast majority of MH owners say to replace the tires at 5 to 7 years with the most saying 6 years.
Alignment: My Tiffin manual said that the alignment should be checked at 10k miles after the coach settles in. I probably won't do that unless I have handling issues or change tires. I agree with awarenes, new tires equal new alignment.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just bought 4 continentals for 500 each, and paid 150 for the alignment at good. That was Tuesday. I got a price of 850 each elsewhere. Perfect t example of shopping around.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hooter G.....The prices sound VERY high. Personally, I will never buy a GoodYear product again. I replaced my two fronts (same size as yours) with the Hankook AH12's at 7 months ago. They were $895.00 out the door. We have a local truck tire store that has done my alignment twice in 50000 miles.

Realistically, every DP should be aligned after it's loaded and driven a few thousand miles. I didn't do mine until about 20K because I didn't know better. It made a big difference. I had it aligned again at 47K and it needed a minor adjustment. I paid $150.00 both times. They did what is called a 4 wheel laser alignment. By doing a 4 wheel alignment, they make sure the front wheels are running in the same direction as the rears. This ensures that your coach isn't "dog walking". I'm sure you've seen a coach or truck going down the road somewhat sideways.

You should be able to do tires and alignment for about $1000.00 - $1100.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Tire age: from reading several forums it seems that the the vast majority of MH owners say to replace the tires at 5 to 7 years with the most saying 6 years.
And that's not what the tire manufacturers say unless you have Chinese bombs on your rig.
Michelin says to have them inspected every year starting at 5 years and absolutely replace at 10 years.
I replaced our OEM Michelins after 8 years, they had a little cracking but not really deep enough to worry. I could have gone longer but I had to order the fronts and they came in a lot sooner than I thought they would.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced 6 GY G670's with 21,274 miles on them that just turned 7 years old and were rivering in the front. The rear passenger outside tire had a piece of tread missing. I am with Diplomat Don I will never put Good Years on again. I just put 6 new Toyo M-154's on and balanced them with Dyna beads then I drove 40 miles to test the balance and handling and I am very happy with the results. I am having it aligned next week and going on a 7k trip. The total cost for the 6 Toyo's at Les Schwab was $2997 out the door.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #12

Go with the Hankooks. They are original equipment on Freightliner and Navistar trucks. Great tires at a great price.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #13

I just replaced all 6 of my 275/75/22.5's with Michelin's through the FMC , for $3,605 out the door. that was cheaper than I could find Goodyears. So at nearly $900 each, I would think they were getting in your pocket a little too much
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Hooter,
Did they state a reason for the need of an alignment? Or do they recommend an alignment for every customer that comes in the door? Did the tires have unusual wear? Educate yourself with this forum about tire wear and shop around for tires & service. Check your tire age. Look at Toyo's. Be an informed consumer like you are by using this forum.

I am so tired of pushy "upselling" every place I go. I don't want the $12 appetizer, I don't want the $18 glass of wine, I don't want the $10 dessert. If I did I'd ask for it! I was sitting in the waiting room at Jiffy Lube the other day and listened to the tech sell a young lady about $100 in stuff she probably didn't need nor could she afford to put on her credit card. It's at the hardware store, the barber and even fast food!

(OK I'm over it now. Sorry)
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tires