Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Yes, the new Dometic 10 button CCC2 thermostat utilizes the same RJ11 telephone style cable and connectors.

And no, you cannot control an older Dometic A/C unit with the newer 10 button CCC2 thermostat.

The A/C control board version must match the thermostat version.
Although, you can purchase a retrofit control board for the new A/C units to be compatible with the old 5 button thermostat.

If you have the first generation 4 button Dometic thermostat (2002 and older) there is no longer a retrofit control board for it. You will have to update your 4 button thermostat to control a new A/C and probably replace both A/C units at the same time.
I have the 5-button thermostat now. One in the front living area, and one in the bedroom.
The mid and rear AC units share a thermostat (zone 2 and 3) mounted in the bedroom. If I replace the rear AC unit, I know I can get a control board so the new AC unit will work with the old 5-button CC thermostat - but is there also a control board that can be used on the older middle AC that will let it work with a new 10-button thermostat.

I mean, if I have to buy a new control board either way, I'd rather use the new style thermostat (compatible with the new rear AC without changes) and add a new control board (if such thing exists) to the older middle AC unit so it can use the newer 10-button CC2 thermostat too.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I have the 5-button thermostat now. One in the front living area, and one in the bedroom.
The mid and rear AC units share a thermostat (zone 2 and 3) mounted in the bedroom. If I replace the rear AC unit, I know I can get a control board so the new AC unit will work with the old 5-button CC thermostat - but is there also a control board that can be used on the older middle AC that will let it work with a new 10-button thermostat.

I mean, if I have to buy a new control board either way, I'd rather use the new style thermostat (compatible with the new rear AC without changes) and add a new control board (if such thing exists) to the older middle AC unit so it can use the newer 10-button CC2 thermostat too.

You might try calling PPL, the salesperson who I talked to seemed very knowledgeable.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i changed mine from carrier to coleman air excells 15.5 btu heat pumps a few years back

so far i have changed one blower motor and put new bearings on the other.

plus the rear heat pump solenoid got stuck and would not cycle to heat pump after 3 short years, so it sits in loft to be used as parts. i had to replace the whole unit as no one would touch opening it up to replace the easily found valve

i had to run wires down from the ceiling through the vents down to a spot i could fish wires in between roof padding and those plastic trim pieces down to the wall areas . real PITA but worth it

coleman will drop ship for free to any authorized repair center and we just picked them up about 20 miles away at an rv place

If this is what I could expect from a Coleman unit I think I'll stick with Dometic.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I went ahead and ordered two of the high capacity AC/Heat Pump Penguins from PPL, was a good price and the sale was going off.

I'm going to use the Micro-Air Easy Touch Thermostat, not much more then the 10 button CCC and has the bluetooth and wifi capability.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep every one updated on the outcome.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
For what it’s worth I believe you did the right thing!

If your going to keep your coach long term I think it’s best to replace it at your will not on vacation or while trying to enjoy life!

Jmo
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, no you cannot buy a control board that will allow you to control an older A/C with the new thermostat. You would have to replace both A/C units. Or buy the retrofit control board and use your current 5 button thermostat.
You can do it with your single A/C on the front.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I'm very pleased with our new Dometic Penguin high capacity heat pump. I measured the output temp and it blows much cooler air than my two older units. Also, when its in the 40s the heat pump option is great. Only wished I had two more!
Make sure you read up on setting the dip switches inside the control box.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I'm very pleased with our new Dometic Penguin high capacity heat pump. I measured the output temp and it blows much cooler air than my two older units. Also, when its in the 40s the heat pump option is great. Only wished I had two more!
Make sure you read up on setting the dip switches inside the control box.

Yup, I am aware of the dip switches, I'll check how the current ones are set up and compare to the instructions.

FWIW, I built a new garage 40X50X16' this year with a workshop inside. The roof of the workshop is ~9' high. With the RV parked next to it I have a set of ramps that allows easy access to the RV roof so it will be fairly easy to get the old AC units off and new ones on. The layout has worked out better then what I had imagined.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Jim, I replaced the front AC/heat pump in 2016 and replaced my four button thermostat with the CCC unit. With the old unit, I could select AC, heat pump or furnace which made using the heat pump convenient when it was cool, but not cold. The new set up works different, you can only select AC or furnace on the CCC thermostat. When the set temp and actual temp is not close, the furnace comes on. As the temps come closer together, the furnace goes off and the heat pump begins to operate. I don't like it working that way, but I've see no way to program the CCC to work like the 4 button thermostat did. I replaced the bedroom AC this year and only bought an AC unit, no heat pump. The new Penguin High Capacity AC units work great.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Jim, I replaced the front AC/heat pump in 2016 and replaced my four button thermostat with the CCC unit. With the old unit, I could select AC, heat pump or furnace which made using the heat pump convenient when it was cool, but not cold. The new set up works different, you can only select AC or furnace on the CCC thermostat. When the set temp and actual temp is not close, the furnace comes on. As the temps come closer together, the furnace goes off and the heat pump begins to operate. I don't like it working that way, but I've see no way to program the CCC to work like the 4 button thermostat did. I replaced the bedroom AC this year and only bought an AC unit, no heat pump. The new Penguin High Capacity AC units work great.
Thanks Dennis,
I'm leaning toward the Micro Air thermostat, I'll check how this one works.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
=============================================
Where did you get the [ vent cover ] and do you have a picture of it?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #40

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have two units, front and back, and one thermostat in the front of the MH, how does it control the temperature in the back of the MH? Do I need a separate sensor or thermostat for the rear?
Old 10-29-2021, 06:51 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
My current thermostat controls both AC's but there are separate temp sensor that work with each AC unit. In the front the the sensor is mounted in the bottom of one of the overhead cabinets. The other sensor is in the thermostat mounted in the bedroom. Each control the individual sensors control each AC unit.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Thank you.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote