Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #1

Replacing Floor

Hi everyone, we are new to this forum. We have a 2005 40' Monaco Knight PLQ. We would like to replace the carpet and tile (I think it's tile in kitchen and bath) from front of coach to bathroom. I think we will leave carpet in bedroom at least for now.

Does anyone know what is under the carpet and tile? My husband seems to think the flooring under the kitchen and bath flooring is different than under the carpet and therefore LVP won't lay even?

My other question is about the slide. We will keep carpet on the slide which has the dining table and LR chair. When you take up the carpet are you able to get under the lip?

Hope these aren't silly questions. Just doing some research before we commit to delving in.
DB Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If your coach is like our 2004 is like ours, the sub-flooring in the entire coach is two sheets of 5/8" flake board with a sheet of plastic fiber moisture barrier between them. We replaced the entire carpet and tile in our coach with engineered wood. The hardest part of the job was removal of the tile, one square inch at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	344156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monaco floor.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	344157  

super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
If your coach is like our 2004 is like ours, the sub-flooring in the entire coach is two sheets of 5/8" flake board with a sheet of plastic fiber moisture barrier between them. We replaced the entire carpet and tile in our coach with engineered wood. The hardest part of the job was removal of the tile, one square inch at a time
Did you glue the engineered wood down? My slides run on my tiles (I have wear marks where the runners are.) If the wood is not glued down, I suspect the slides will push the wood pieces around. Did you have to deal with that?
-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Look at post #75 in this thread. Maybe it will give you some ideas!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ano...-213472-6.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:51 AM   #5

We removed our tile and carpet and replaced with engineered wood glued down. The 2 rollers in the galley area roll over the wood with no effect. Ditto on the tile removal 1 square inch at a time!
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
As mentioned, the removal process is not for the faint of heart. Miserable job and dirty. If your tile goes under a slide, it’s very tedious removing it.. I wrapped entire interior with plastic. I had shop vac to try to creat a negative pressure, with a second shop vac right at the point of demo. I used chipping hammer, grinders and disc sanders, not to mention hand tools for under the slides. Still took days to get all the dust out.

You’ll need to jack up the slides slightly so you can get under.

Glue the new floor down.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
I remember that flooring
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #8

I replaced the entire floor in our rig last winter. Biggest part of the whole job was demo, removing the old floor and surface prep for the new one.

Engineered wood was recommended but I decided to go with luxury vinyl plank. Main reason was because it is water proof. It was a good decision as we have already had a couple of floods without damage. One day, no rain was in the forecast so we left the roof vents open, bad move.

The floor is floated with no glue and installing on a bias was easy. Was told it would be much more work and more material. I found that not to be true.

We just finished a 10,000 mile cross country trip and so far so good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_431FE7CF74DF-1.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	344407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E938B4A587E1-1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	344409  

Name:	63495581831__A8284833-4A67-45F3-9513-77A87AFC6657.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	344410  
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just replaced our carpet and vinyl sheet flooring with a high end vinyl wood plank flooring made by Earthwerks. It looks and feels like wood, has a grain to it. It is totaly glued down. Demolition was not that bad, tons of staples to remove. Installing the quarter round was the most tedious part of the job overall. Under the vinly was particle board, some of it rotted out in the corner of the main slideout (the Monaco lousy slideout construction issue hits again) but the installers filled that spot with a liquid wood cement quick patch which is now hard as a rock. We also installed new carpet under the couch, which we had custom bound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09847.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	344411  
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:01 AM   #10

Thank you to everyone with all the info, it has been helpful. My husband is still swearing the tile is some thick wood tile of sorts, felt more like a rolled vinyl flooring to me but haven't looked at in awhile could just be tile. He also mentioned he thought tile went under walls so did anyone have trouble with that and how does the LVP fit under the wall? Going to the storage unit in the next few weeks to check it out.
DB Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Rose View Post
Thank you to everyone with all the info, it has been helpful. My husband is still swearing the tile is some thick wood tile of sorts, felt more like a rolled vinyl flooring to me but haven't looked at in awhile could just be tile. He also mentioned he thought tile went under walls so did anyone have trouble with that and how does the LVP fit under the wall? Going to the storage unit in the next few weeks to check it out.
I suspect that like my install, you can't remove what is under a wall, just cut it as close to the wall as you can get whether its carpet or anything else.. Same for installing you can only get up to the wall then cover the edge with quarter round molding.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #12

Yes, the flooring was installed on the flake board and then the house was put on top of it. The floor is under everything. I cut the carpet flush at the wall and chipped the tile out flush with the wall. The LVP offered quarter round molding that matched the floor.

Grinding off the mastic that glued the tile down was the worst part of the job but it is important to have a clean base to install the new floor on. Maybe I went overboard. Anyhow, I didn't want to put glue on my clean prepared surface if not necessary. It didn't make sense to me that new floor could float but reading reviews convinced me it could. If we ever decide to change the floor again the hard work is done and it will be really, really easy. Specially having the experience from the first time.

We used Coretec and highly recommend it: https://coretecfloors.com/en-us/collections.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is ours: https://www.earthwerks.com/Vinyl/Development/Rapture
Old 10-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thought I would add a couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails