Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
replacing Norcold 683 with residential fridge

I need some good advice.

The Norcold is showing signs of getting tired, so we have ordered a new residential fridge.

In doing some preparatory inspections, I have discovered that the Norcold is plugged into a dual receptacle. I checked both circuits, neither is powered from the inverter.

There's a receptacle under the sink that is powered from the inverter, but it's on the same circuit as all the front coach receptacles. I don't think that's acceptable.

I thought I could use the receptacle for the washer/dryer(which we don't have), but it's not powered from the inverter(although the breaker for it is in the bedroom breaker panel).

I thought the answer would be to run a wire back to the breaker panel in the bedroom, but there's no room for more breakers in that panel, and I haven't figured out how to get a wire back into that panel anyway.

How do I get an inverter powered receptacle to that fridge?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Have you thought about putting in a dedicated inverter? We put in a TrippLite 1250 to run a 21.5 cuft Kitchen Aid. Ran power wires direct from the coach batteries through a 175A fuse and an Intellitec latching relay to the inverter, then to half of the receptacle. We left the other half of that receptacle on standard house power. Yours probably is only hot when on shore and possibly generator. In any event, my fridge has 2 sources of power, should something happen to one, and I can shut down house power completely while still running the fridge during extended off grid stays. We boondock for up to 2 weeks at a time.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
JimKate:
You might want to check to see if the microwave is on the inverter. It was on my '06 Diplomat so I switched the fridge and microwave around. Now the fridge is on the inverter and the microwave is not (fine with me). Pigman1's idea is a good option, too. (athough more expensive to buy another inverter.)
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo442 View Post
JimKate:
You might want to check to see if the microwave is on the inverter. It was on my '06 Diplomat so I switched the fridge and microwave around. Now the fridge is on the inverter and the microwave is not (fine with me). Pigman1's idea is a good option, too. (athough more expensive to buy another inverter.)
I never thought of that. I'm quite certain that the microwave is on the inverter, because I remember that the inverter didn't like trying to run that microwave. We always start the generator to use the microwave.

Hmmm. That may be a reasonable solution. I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have decided to use Wizzo442's suggestion.

Our microwave receptacle is wired through the inverter, and it is close (through the cabinet wall) to the refrigerator. I'll plug the microwave into the refrigerator plug, and the refrigerator into the microwave plug. I'll remember to rename the breakers in the bedroom breaker box.

This reinforces the value of this group. Such an obvious decision, considering that we never use the microwave on inverter power. It may not be a problem, but it feels like the microwave doesn't like running on the inverter. When we boon dock, we always run the generator when we want to run the microwave.

So, this is the decision we will try when we install the new fridge.

Thanks to all.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Glad it worked out. You are luckier than me. My fridge is on the road side and the microwave is on the curb side. I had to run a new circuit from the panel (for the microwave) and a new circuit from the inverter (for the fridge). It was quite a job, but still very glad I switched to a residential fridge.
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold