Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 05:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing Propane Tank for Smaller?

Our coach only needs propane for the stove (electric frig, aquahot, etc) and even then we seldom use it - preferring to either grill, microwave or air-fry. It's making me want to remove that big 30-gallon tank and install one of those smaller portable tanks for the few times we'd use the stove, and be able to capture a lot of storage room in that bay.

However, I've seen very little on here regarding anyone doing just that. Did I miss some threads, or am I not thinking (most likely ) this project thru correctly as to why it could work?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #2

It should work, but you'd need to make sure you figure out a way to secure the smaller tanks during travel. And...make sure the connector hoses are going to be long enough to reach down to the lower connections on the tank (or, I suppose you could build a platform to raise the tanks up to the proper level).

I'd prefer fewer trips to the propane place over switching out to smaller tanks, but that's just me.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #3

Rusty , I've thought of the same thing . I guess my propane tank was full when
we bought this coach over 7 yrs ago and I have never bought more propane .
Like you the cook top is our only propane appliance and we obviously don't use
it much .
Yeah sure seems like a lot of wasted space down there .
I'm sure it can work

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
maybe the next owner would like that tank in the mh. We spent time this winter in south TX this winter and had to us the furnace several times not to mention the drive back to MN at the end of Feb. Very nice to have the big tank.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #5

The last keelboat I owned had a pair of 4.25 lb DOT propane tanks in the swim platform locker. I went a few seasons on a single tank before switching to the other, and that was with a 2-burner gas range (never used the oven, though) on week long trips.

Nice and small at 9" dia by 12" high including the ring. A typical 20 lb DOT 'gas grill' tank is around 12-1/2" dia. x 18" high. But the little ones cost more than the common 20 lb tanks, though a sawbuck or two difference probably isn't going to make you reconsider.

Just remember that DOT tanks have to be stored and used upright. Never lay them down, even when not in use. And if you build a locker for it/them, make sure there's a vent or drain hole in the bottom for propane gas leaks, since propane is heavier than air.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthing...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And there's 11 lb tanks with the same footprint as the 4.25 lb, but the same height as the 20 lb.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthing...1165/202034839
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
maybe the next owner would like that tank in the mh. We spent time this winter in south TX this winter and had to us the furnace several times not to mention the drive back to MN at the end of Feb. Very nice to have the big tank.
You are correct , if I had a propane furnace I wouldn't consider it but
like the OP I have a diesel furnace and water heater system ( aqua-hot )

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #7

I'm pretty sure that the propane bay cannot be used for storage unless/until it is no longer the propane bay....
Old 04-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I want to do the same thing. A year or so ago, I came across a really great post about doing it. Didn’t tag it [emoji23]. Haven’t had any luck finding it again. I will keep searching for it !
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ah-ha! Now that's one I didn't think of, Solo-guy. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to come up with a way to completely separate them.

I've considered the implications of the mod possibly making the coach less-desirable to a future owner, but then I said twice before that we were on our last coach and wouldn't be getting another one . At our life-stage now, I do think this the one we'll be buried in.

I use the big tank with an extension hose when I grille, but that's a pretty small amount. The coach supposedly came with a full tank, and unless the gauge is stuck it hasn't moved a bit since we got it. The small ones last a long while when grillliing.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Darn it , Greg, I told you I needed to use the other half of your new garage. Just think of the things we could do .

Except for Solo-guy's point about making them separated, it should be easy. As it is, the sheet-metal wall between that bay and the rest of the interior wasn't built air-tight on my coach, so whatever I can do would definitely enhance the integrity.

After removing the big tank (I'm guess maybe 175lb or so if full), add a reinforced bottom and some strapping to secure a smaller tank. May have to lengthen the hose to reach, if needed. Build another wall between the new tank area and the rest of that storage area, with a lip projecting out to touch and seal at the door. Add a floor to the new storage area, and it's done.

As they say, "What could possibly go wrong"?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
RustyTools, I’m afraid we would get each other into trouble !![emoji51][emoji51]
The post I had found was really great. The remodel did separate the bay into 2 compartments to keep the propane separate. I think he used one of the blue rhino type tanks that you can simply exchange for a full tank. He had a metal cabinet made to take advantage of the free space. Worked out great and I wasn’t smart enough to save the post [emoji36][emoji36]!!
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Our coach only needs propane for the stove (electric frig, aquahot, etc) and even then we seldom use it - preferring to either grill, microwave or air-fry. It's making me want to remove that big 30-gallon tank and install one of those smaller portable tanks for the few times we'd use the stove, and be able to capture a lot of storage room in that bay.

However, I've seen very little on here regarding anyone doing just that. Did I miss some threads, or am I not thinking (most likely ) this project thru correctly as to why it could work?

I know Captjake1 did this a few years back, but not sure if it was a separate post or in the Mods thread. It's definitely on my to do list.

kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buy a propane firepit. You'll be refilling that tank every few months !
Old 04-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #14

I'm pretty sure that the propane bay cannot be used for storage unless/until it is no longer the propane bay....

What's the harm in storing say extra oil or antifreeze in with the propane tank?

Our propane tank is in the same bay as the fuel tank, and is open on the bottom.

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank