RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Replacing skylight dome

Planning on going belt and suspenders, with Surebond under the flange, and Eternabond over the flange.
I've run a strip of Eternabond over screwheads before, and don't like the inevitable air bubble around each. I'm thinking of laying the E'bond down first, then screwing thru it, and covering the screws with a dab of Surebond.
Anyone done it this way? Does the sealer stick well to the E'bond? I know the E'bond will need a wipe with alcohol or Acetone, before I put the Surebond on it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Planning on going belt and suspenders, with Surebond under the flange, and Eternabond over the flange.
I've run a strip of Eternabond over screwheads before, and don't like the inevitable air bubble around each. I'm thinking of laying the E'bond down first, then screwing thru it, and covering the screws with a dab of Surebond.
Anyone done it this way? Does the sealer stick well to the E'bond? I know the E'bond will need a wipe with alcohol or Acetone, before I put the Surebond on it.

I always like to think of Eternabond as a secondary seal. The primary being the caulk. So I would fully seal the skylight as if you were not putting down eternabond. Then put the Eternabond over top. I am not familiar with the Surebond product, but the Dicor self leveling flattens out nicely and the Eternabond then seals up well over it.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Surebond is the sealer recommended by skylight manufacturers. Dicor doesn't really stick very well to skylights.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I just replaced my 24X34 skylight and by using citrus air freshener I was able to get the overabundance of sealer off. I'm old school and have been using silicone seal on my RVs for 50 years so that's what I used this week. Different strokes for different folks.
08 HR Navigator
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
This is the way I have done all of my items on the roof as the eternal one is supposed to be self sealing if you screw through it. I put a layer of eternabond down then mount what ever the item is and then dab sealant on top of the screw heads etc. best of luck and you will have zero leaks this way.
Emac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

Thanks Emac!

I was sure someone out there had installed one the way I was proposing !
Old 04-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any time you plan to use Eternabond AND additional liquid sealant might as well save the money and delete the Eternabond from the project. The whole idea of using Eternabond is to tape it and be done, forever. Add a liquid sealant exposed to the environment to the project then plan on heading back up on the roof to rework the seal sometime in the future, hopefully before the seal fails.

Every seal on my roof is taped. Skylight, vents, TV antenna, front/rear caps,,,. Every screw has been replaced with stainless steel and the threads were filled with a bit of sealant before being taped over. I have no exposed liquid sealant except at the awning mounting. Probably rework it this summer along with the fridge vent. I added a residential last summer so the vent is redundant. Tape it and be done, eternally. It's not just a catchy name. The stuff works. Trust it.

Sometimes suspenders and a belt isn't the best plan, at least from my prospective safely seated behind my keyboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_172410.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	200086   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_172341.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	200087  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0291.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	200088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	200089  

Old 04-24-2018, 05:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Sweetbriar. Eternabond is meant to be the final solution. If you are concerned about air bubbles, be sure to flatten/apply the tape from the center outward to the edges to roll/squeeze the air out. But if you do get a bubble, simply puncture it with a utility blade and roll over it and it will reseal. My ebond job is in year three and it is awesome! Follow the manufacturer's directions!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I agree with Sweetbriar. Eternabond is meant to be the final solution. If you are concerned about air bubbles, be sure to flatten/apply the tape from the center outward to the edges to roll/squeeze the air out. But if you do get a bubble, simply puncture it with a utility blade and roll over it and it will reseal. My ebond job is in year three and it is awesome! Follow the manufacturer's directions!
So what would the difference be between a screw going through the Eternabond or poking a whole in it with a knife? According to Eternabond it is self sealing just as you have described getting the air bubble out.
Emac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #10

Most skylight failures are due to the way they are fastened to the roof. The acrylic or polycarbonate does not have a reinforced edge, and to compress the sealant well enough usually means the screws must be tightened enough that the plastic material is cracked, or soon will be.

If you have the capability, welding an aluminum frame to fit around the edges of the skylight will distribute the load and also make the sealant perform its job much better. If you cannot do that, you can cut short pieces of aluminum bar (1/8 x 3/4) to make "rectangular washers" and that will help quite a bit.

I've done the welded aluminum frame on two of the "neo-angle" skylights on two different motor homes. It was a permanent fix.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #11

Yeah Van, thats the reason I need to replace the existing one, rather than just clean up the old sealant and re-install! Too much cracking around the screws.
I've seen the pic's of your alluminum frame. Wish I had the tools to do the same.

Tags
light