Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Replacing the Accumulator Tank with Variable Speed Pump?

My 2 gallon Accumulator tank ruptured. I see some are using a variable speed pump and not using the accumulator tank. Has anyone done this on a 2005 Holiday Rambler Navigator or similar motorhomes? I would love to hear the pros and cons.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #2

I would use both. Tank is easy to replace, and can reduce hammering and create smoother flow. The variable speed pump will make using multiple faucets at the same time more enjoyable. The other advantage of the large accumulator tank is the ability to get a small amount of water without the pump turning on. Especially nice in early morning when others may be sleeping.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My rig came with an accumulator tank but PO removed it. I've had the coach for 13 years. I did have to replace the pump ~12 years ago. Don't know if it would improve sound of pump.

If the pump is installed direct to the PEX pipe you might add some flexible type lines to reduce hammering. This is how my pump is installed.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #4

Had variable speed pump on boat and have accumulator tank in RV.

My opinion, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Variable speed pump doesn't need accumulator but costs more.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
I would use both. Tank is easy to replace, and can reduce hammering and create smoother flow. The variable speed pump will make using multiple faucets at the same time more enjoyable. The other advantage of the large accumulator tank is the ability to get a small amount of water without the pump turning on. Especially nice in early morning when others may be sleeping.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I was looking to save the space. The tank is in a very tight spot crowding the lines to my Aquahot to work on. Your suggestions make sense, though.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My rig came with an accumulator tank but PO removed it. I've had the coach for 13 years. I did have to replace the pump ~12 years ago. Don't know if it would improve sound of pump.

If the pump is installed direct to the PEX pipe you might add some flexible type lines to reduce hammering. This is how my pump is installed.
My pump currently is piped with PEX. The inlets and outlet from the pump are 1/2", Aquajet II, 10.0 amp as in the pic. Is yours variable speed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquajet II Pump.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	337992  
Old 08-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Had variable speed pump on boat and have accumulator tank in RV.

My opinion, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Variable speed pump doesn't need accumulator but costs more.
Well, The accumulator tank alone (Jabsco Model 18810) is around $240. A lot more than the pump.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Well, The accumulator tank alone (Jabsco Model 18810) is around $240. A lot more than the pump.

That's what I found also. I put a 2 gallon tank in my last MH, it worked well. This one has quite a bit smaller tank. It's there but you don't get much water before the pump kicks on. I looked for a larger one, they were more than the 40 gallon one I replaced on house system.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I got the same type of tank from our local commercial plumbing outfit, it was about $100 CAD which is about $80 US. I would expect that to be a common price for that unit......if not on the high side.....
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I got the same type of tank from our local commercial plumbing outfit, it was about $100 CAD which is about $80 US. I would expect that to be a common price for that unit......if not on the high side.....
Here is one from Lowes for a lot less. Except it says to be mounted vertically, mine is horizontally. DOES that make any difference?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-2...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks
Old 08-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Here is one from Lowes for a lot less. Except it says to be mounted vertically, mine is horizontally. DOES that make any difference?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-2...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks
I don't know if it makes any appreciable difference. I did mount mine vertically and this turned out to be the smart move because when I drain the water from the motorhome in winter it also drains the accumulator.

I used a Well-X-Trol by Amtrol. Turns out, it's a really nice unit.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

I have used the $40. Lowe's tanks on 2 motorhomes with no problems.

They both just layed on their side.

As far as fitting it in, It can be placed in any dead space you can slip It into. Then tee into any cold water line, after the pump, in the system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, twinboat! That is great!. You just saved me $200. I ordered it through Amazon and will return it back. AO Smith is a very fine make!

Our local Lowes has 3 in stock,

Thank you and have a great day!!
Old 08-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have used the $40. Lowe's tanks on 2 motorhomes with no problems.

They both just layed on their side.

As far as fitting it in, It can be placed in any dead space you can slip It into. Then tee into any cold water line, after the pump, in the system.
There you go

Tags
pump, tank