RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Replacing the circuit breaker on an Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel

The toggle broke off the circuit breaker while I was changing the oil the other day. I got a new one from Cummins ($92 plus tax and shipping!). When I went out to install it this morning I found that I can't do it.

I thought that removing the little access panel next to the breaker would allow me to fish it through that hole, but there isn't a chance.

It looks like the entire front cover will need to be removed, and that can't be done without removing the genset from the mounting frame.

We have been boondocking for three weeks, planning to continue for another couple months. I sure hope that breaker doesn't trip!

Anybody ever replaced that breaker?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have not replaced one but here is a thought. Is there enough material left to drill a small hole in the switch abd add a long screw to use to trip the breaker? If it's working I would not touch it but if it did trip. I've always had other breaker trip first.

LEN
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that if I need to.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not try some super glue. It works on broken toggles on GE and SQUARE D breakers!! Good luck!!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Red face

Denali......I've never tried to replace that circuit breaker, but I did remove the upper cover without removing the generator. I don't know if you'll have access with the upper cover off, but I'm thinking you might from what I remember.

The upper cover requires removing all of the screws from the passenger and driver's side of the cover. I then slid the generator out, sat behind it on the ground (under the coach) and removed the rear screws. It's a very fastenating little engine with the cover off .

I had to do this because I couldn't get it to accept coolant after changing it....learned how later.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

Unfortunately, it's not the upper cover that I need to remove. It's the front cover.

Somebody on another forum sent me pics and told me he had to completely remove the genset from his Dip to get that cover off.

Sigh...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Denali.......I understood what you were asking.......When the upper cover is removed, I believe you can move the coolant tank out of the way and get your hand in where you need to be to remove the circuit breaker.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali View Post
Unfortunately, it's not the upper cover that I need to remove. It's the front cover.

Somebody on another forum sent me pics and told me he had to completely remove the genset from his Dip to get that cover off.

Sigh...
I removed the front coolant tank to remove this cover. I had to remove this cover to replace a bad hose clamp on the lower hose. I did not remove the gen set from the motorhome but it was a real pain and took all day.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #9

Don and Bob:

I'll pull the top cover and see if moving the coolant tank will give me the access I need.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #10

It's done

We are finally in a location where I could work on the genset, so I replaced that breaker yesterday.

Don and Bob were right. By removing the top cover I was able to swing the coolant tank out of the way and get to the breaker. It took about four hours to R & R that cover. There isn't room to sit up behind the generator in our coach when it is extended, so much of my time was spent in a half-situp position under the coach, reaching up to the bolts on the back of the unit.

The panel bolts to other panels, and of course the bolt holes aren't lined up any more once you remove the bolts. On my right hand and arm alone I have a blood blister and seven other new wounds. What a chore.

Incidentally, I see that the Cummins shop was right--you can't change the belts on this thing without removing it from the coach. They wanted eight hours labor for the job. With 2,006 hours on the generator, the belts should have been changed twice now. I plan to wait until one breaks or it needs to come out for some other reason before replacing them.