Originally Posted by Stretch
On ours I just pulled out the hose as far as it would go, cut the hose at a convenient spot. Bought a new white hose cut the male end off and using a 1/2 inch male to male splice I pushed old and new together and clamped them. Took 6 minutes and has been working for two years.
As stated, this is a 1/2" hose. I tried to use a splice but the hose had expanded, enough that it now needed a 5/8" splice. I could not get a good splice seal except by using a stainless steel hose clamp. This clamp worked, but had a lot of sharp edges. And being inside the reel means that you would never see if there was any lurking damage from the clamp rubbing on the adjacent hose.
From experience, I discovered that when something goes wrong it is always at the worst possible time. So I did not take a short cut and replaced the hose the way it was supposed to be replaced.
Besides, I'm retired and have the time