Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
How does the TruCenter compare with the "Safe-T-Plus"? I only want to buy one and the BEST one at that. deSanford Nice to know where it is mounted Diplomat Don.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
How does the TruCenter compare with the "Safe-T-Plus"? I only want to buy one and the BEST one at that. deSanford Nice to know where it is mounted Diplomat Don.
I've been away for a few days guys so just now seeing your posts.

Yes Don, the TruCenter will improve your driving experience even with the sway bars. After installing the TruCenter we could drive all day without feeling worn out. The TruCenter is an easy install and most of your time will be spent running wires.

deSanford, I have owned both the Safe-T-Plus and the TruCenter and prefer the TruCenter although the Safe-T-Plus will do the job. I installed the Safe-T-Plus on a previous motorhome and did not remove it before trading for the Diplomat.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Hi nodine........I also gave up my Safe T Plus on the old Rockwood. What do you mean when you say most of the install time will be in "running wires"? Looks like Tru Center will be my next purchase. Thanks everyone for your blog on this thread. deSanford
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
deSanford, the Tru Center requires 12 volt power through a relay to the unit itself and then to the control switch you mount on the dash. See post #83 in this thread. Nodine has provided a excellent detailed photo description of the installation.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi nodine........I also gave up my Safe T Plus on the old Rockwood. What do you mean when you say most of the install time will be in "running wires"? Looks like Tru Center will be my next purchase. Thanks everyone for your blog on this thread. deSanford
deSanford,

As Our Time has pointed out, the TruCenter uses 12 volts connected to a solenoid at one end of the device. This solenoid can be momentarily energized to re-center the steering or offset the center to compensate for crosswinds or road crowns. The switch for doing this is mounted near the driver and also includes a timer module mounted down in the run bay. See the photos referenced in post #83. The timer module is installed to prevent the driver from energizing the solenoid for long periods of time. Evidently the solenoid can be overheated if energized for a long period of time. It is usually only necessary to turn on the solenoid for a second to set a new center.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bob and aka nodine. Able to energize the unit for a new center is a very nice improvement over the Safe T Plus. Although once I set the Safe T Plus I never had to relocate the "clamps" to the tie rod for any readjustment. Sounds like this is a inexpensive way to get a feature of the "Howard" system. I believe that is a good thing especially with a strong wind from one direction. I will look into installing that along with the Roadmaster sway bars. Thanks for the info and nice pictures with labels. deSanford
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Install update. We are just waiting for the rear sway bar to be finished up and powder coated. After that there will be another test drive and then hopefully on our way. The front bar went fairly smoothly and the test drive proved to be a great improvement but without the Bilstein shocks for the front (which we are waiting for) one does not get the full impact of the kit. We have the Bilsteins on the rear and once the bar is done we will be on the road and will update as far as the results. So far very impressed.

Cheers
Old 05-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
What shocks did your coach come with, and how old are they? deSanford
Old 05-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #93

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live in Vancouver, WA. Guess I better see if they have a sway bar for our 2002 DSDP/Spartan MM chassis. When RoadMaster first bought out IPD I drove over to their old place in Portland OR and had them check ours 2002 DSDP/Freightliner out. Turns out Newmar had boxed in part of the chassis/suspension for more strength and that was right where the bar was.
I was at RoadMaster a couple weeks ago and they had just gotten a shipment of bars in so while I waited I took a look at them, pretty beefy!!
BTW: RoadMaster also owns WheelMaster and they're just around the corner from each other.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #94

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sent RoadMAster an email

They say they have a bar for the rear of our MH, and maybe the front. I'll have to drive out there and let them look.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What shocks did your coach come with, and how old are they? deSanford
Our coach came with Monroe's on it. We have 66,000 miles on it and the shocks where suprisingly still in not bad shape according to Wayne at RoadMaster. There compression seemed stiffer than the new Bilsteins and the Monroe rebound was much slower just by compressing them by hand side by side. I believe the valving is where the majour difference is between the 2 brands.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
Ok well we are finally on the road after a couple of extra days a RoadMaster. What a great crew. Wayne from RoadMaster and Jim from Source are just great guys and customer service, satisfaction and doing the job right are a definate priority with both Co's because of them.
Let me reset the stage to clarify what perimeters our Monaco 2003 Windsor has to start with. Shocks were Monroe stock from the factory and have 66,000 miles on them. The original owner of our MH had installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.
Wayne first had to redesign the front sway bar because of the Windsor's wider frame rails. Other than that the front bar was a fairly simple install & design for him. We test drove it at this point and the results were noticeable right away. The sway bar firmed up the suspension and made the MH handle tighter and flatter in corners.
We next installed the Bilsteins on the rear as the front shocks are on back order. We took it for another test drive and noticed a definite improvement in the way the rear of the motorhome road and reacted to bumps. Porpoising was tamed to a great degree and I am sure that once the front Bilsteins are installed that it will all but be eliminated.
Wayne then proceeded to design build a rear sway bar which turned out to be more of a job because of the position of air driers, air bag valves etc. There wasn't much room back there but somehow Wayne got it figured out and with a couple of tries finally came up with a bar that fit into the tight spaces and didn't interfere with any of the moving parts of the suspension.
Now comes the good part and remember my (Kit) isn't complete yet as I am still running on the front original Monroe shocks (66,000mi).
We left the RoadMaster factory and hit I5 south to Coburg Or. for a quick tour of the Monaco factory. On the freeway the coach tracks straight and true. No more constant corrections on the steering wheel. Can actually look away from the road and when looking back be still headed in the same direction. Can actually let go of the wheel and the coach will continue to track straight until the crown of the road makes it slowly start to drift to the shoulder. The constant steering wheel corrections from side to side are gone.
Once we left Coburg we went west on US 126 to the Oregon coast. This highway was a great test. For those of you who haven't driven on it I will try to describe it for you. The road is very twisty and in some places not in very good condition. It has areas of repair where part of your lane has been repaved and the other part has potholes and ridges between the 2 zones of pavement. The coach tracked perfectly over these uneven areas. The highway speed limit is 55 and the corners vary from posted from 35-45 and some slower than that. We then hit US 101 and headed north and again for those of you who haven't driven on this section of road you really need to put it on your bucket list. This is where the coach really shone. I could take all of the corners at posted speed and at will take them at 5 or more MPH without the old body roll and sway. It sits flat through all the corners and even when there was the odd dip in the corner or off camber corner the suspension responded and kept the coach flat.
Again I am very happy and impressed with the results and they will be even more impressive once the Bilsteins are installed on the front.
Oh yes and the Elephant Walk (LOL) We found an empty parking lot next to WheelMasters which had a series of speed bumps on it and we took them diagonally. Yes it still does rock side to side some but you can now feel the suspension trying to control the rock whereas before there was no control at all. You used to be at the mercy of the suspension as to when it wanted to stop rocking but now it only rocks a couple of times if that and you can feel the sway bars controlling it. That was a severe test and on the streets you can almost say that the Elephant Walk is history.
Sorry for the long version of this and if anyone has any other questions i will be happy to answer if I can.
For now we are back on the road and enjoying the ride.

Cheers.
DC Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #97
JDT

Good for you, DC. Your report pretty well mirrors mine and everyone else who has had this done.

I hope someone from Monaco is following this thread. Maybe it will give them the idea these things should be done at the factory to give the customer the best handling and, most of all, safest coaches available. I know cost is a factor but when safety is involved the cost is small. Probably cheaper for them to do it when building the chassis then for us to do it as add ons.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Great results and good info for Monaco

After giving up my old Rockwood with the IPD sway bars and getting a new Monaco I expected a 20 year newer coach would handle like a "NEW" greatly improved coach. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the handling of the new 2011 Cayman. I might have thought that it handled great except I knew better. Now without a doubt I will be very happy having "proper" suspension components that include SWAY BARS. deSanford

Tags
kz-rv