Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Residential fridge

Hi folks,
I am considering dumping my Dometic gas absorption fridge for a residential one.
Does anyone know what model of fridge Monaco factory installed in a 2011 Camelot 43 DFT.
Thanks,
Hubbsy
Hubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbsy View Post
Hi folks,
I am considering dumping my Dometic gas absorption fridge for a residential one.
Does anyone know what model of fridge Monaco factory installed in a 2011 Camelot 43 DFT.
Thanks,
Hubbsy
As a retrofit, you're going to want the fridge to fit where the old one did and that means you won't be able to use what the manufacturers are (or were) installing at the factory. Installing a residential in an older motor-home is much more complex than just seeing what they are doing in the factory. Coaches with factory residential units have more space devoted to refrigerators and use wider and deeper models. In addition, they now install PSW (pure sine-wave) inverters and double or triple the batteries to compensate for the change. Many of the fridges they are using are much much larger and use much more power, which is the reason for beefing up the genny and batteries. They can do all these things because they are building the vehicle from scratch. You are constrained by what is already there.

If you have a PSW inverter, you can just about install anything that fits, but the closest fit for the four door Dometic is the Samsung RF197. The Samsung is a great fit for older RVs because it is a close fit to the original Norcold or Dometic 4 door fridges, AND because it runs perfectly on an MSW inverter and sips electricity. I put one in when my Norcold blew, and it's been great.

If you have a Dometic 1350, here is a link to the spec sheet: https://www.dometic.com/c1cd33f7-3b0...31b804cc.fodoc In this document you can find the specs for the minimum cuttout size for your original fridge, and then you can start shopping for a replacement that's close. The Samsung RF197 is the first unit I'd look at. The Samsung is a 33" cabinet depth fridge, and 33" is an odd size so there aren't that many.

If you're changing it out for safety reasons there are some things you can do to make your existing unit safer. A good add-on for an absorbtion fridge can be found at arprv.com. This device supplements the fridges existing controls and temporarily shuts it down if the boiler overheats before damage occurs. (rather than after the refrigerator is destroyed like the Norcold Recall fix). This keeps the fridge healthy and safer. Anyone that has a Norcold 1200, I'd add that the only way I'd have this unit in my RV is if it had the ARP controller and an aftermarket cooling unit. RVCOOL makes a really beefed up cooling unit and the Amish cooling unit isn't bad either. Any Norcold cooling unit made before 2013 is terribly under-designed and in my humble opinion a fire hazard...recall or no recall. The 2012 redesign helps a little but I don't trust Norcold at all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW, I strongly agree with everything "tricotec" just said above - especially his comments about the Samsung RF197, and using the ARP controller, rather than the silly recall fix that Norcold came up with.

IMO, the best direct replacement for a Norcold 1200 series is the Samsung RF197 for all the reasons stated above. I just added one in my Monaco. It fit almost perfectly in the hole left by the removal of the Norcold 1210 with very minor alterations. Here are some pictures.

Also, check the "RV Systems and Appliances" forum here in iRV2 for more information. Not just the "sticky" - do a search in that form. Lots of info there.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

Can't help with the coach specific question but I can say that you will NEVER regret going residential. Having said that consider adding as part of the install 400 to 600 watts of solar on the roof. Not expensive and returns some component of dry camping without running the generator much. Weather dependant of course. If you only have 4 batteries adding a couple more will make it even more seamless.

Good luck on the install. Its all worth it when its done.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for your information.
Hubbsy
Hubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
What ever fridge you buy, make sure it's quite. Our's is a Fridgidare and you can't hear it at night. It's allot better than the standard RV crap that's out there. Our homer fridge would be bad for a RV. Lot's of noise.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
What ever fridge you buy, make sure it's quite. Our's is a Fridgidare and you can't hear it at night. It's allot better than the standard RV crap that's out there. Our homer fridge would be bad for a RV. Lot's of noise.
The Samsung RF197 is the quietest residential fridge I've ever owned. just wanted to bring that up because this poster brings up an excellent point. In the tiny environs of an RV noise is indeed an important consideration.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge