RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #1

Residential fridge

Our 08 Dynasty came with a gorgeous jennair side by side. 2 years ago it started to act up and I spent over $800 in repairs. Tech said not to throw away any more money. I have a new french door Jennair ready to install. I wanted something with a little more quality than the Whirlpool,Ge,etc. Found a new Jennair but it is about 2 inches taller. Monaco did a ltetty good job on the factory install
At the rear there is a wooden block screwed to the false floor (drawer underneath). The wall behind the fridge has a wooden block to kerp the fridge from rocking. The wooden shelf that holds the fridge has a lip at the front to keep the fridge from moving outward. Above the front of the fridge Monaco fab'd a really nice metal piece that kept the fridge sandwiched between all the wooden blocks. I am not sure if that metal piece will work with the new fridge. I am wondering how those who retrofittted their fridge kept the fridge from moving. The drawer of the fridge has a positive catch but I am still looking for something to use on the doors. Not a fridge fixer. Thanks.
Btw. The fridge came out via the emergency escape window above the sofa.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Our 08 Dynasty came with a gorgeous jennair side by side. 2 years ago it started to act up and I spent over $800 in repairs. Tech said not to throw away any more money. I have a new french door Jennair ready to install. I wanted something with a little more quality than the Whirlpool,Ge,etc. Found a new Jennair but it is about 2 inches taller. Monaco did a ltetty good job on the factory install
At the rear there is a wooden block screwed to the false floor (drawer underneath). The wall behind the fridge has a wooden block to kerp the fridge from rocking. The wooden shelf that holds the fridge has a lip at the front to keep the fridge from moving outward. Above the front of the fridge Monaco fab'd a really nice metal piece that kept the fridge sandwiched between all the wooden blocks. I am not sure if that metal piece will work with the new fridge. I am wondering how those who retrofittted their fridge kept the fridge from moving. The drawer of the fridge has a positive catch but I am still looking for something to use on the doors. Not a fridge fixer. Thanks.
Btw. The fridge came out via the emergency escape window above the sofa.
Yeah....you wouldn't want to buy anything low quality like a whirlpool.....you know the parent company of Jennair

Sorry, couldn't resist

When we installed our lowly GE refrigerator we used 4x4 blocks underneath both sides, which were secured to the floor, then screwed "L" metal to them and then screwed through the metal rails into the bottom of the refrigerator rails which secures the refrigerator to the rails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	294681   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C1FDBC5-0843-4B92-9B7F-8745584C78DF.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	294682  

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	294683  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

Paul.The Jennair uses a different cooling system. Different interior . Better drawers. 2 year warranty. Maytag Amans and Kitchen aid are also by Whirlpool. None are the same quality as older units. Thanks for your ideas.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Samsung RF18.

My job was complicated as I had to lower the furnace to gain the max height. I made to separate supports out of conduit strut material position to align with the rollers on the fridge.

I installed blocking on the back and sides to keep the fridge from shifting.

I used heavy brackets to secure the bottom using the leveling feet bracket.

For the top I used 2" aluminum angle brackets about ~12' long. I attached them to the the sides of the fridge using 3M adhesive tape (the good stuff), and then the face frame of the cabinet, I painted them black so can't really even see them.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Paul.The Jennair uses a different cooling system. Different interior . Better drawers. 2 year warranty. Maytag Amans and Kitchen aid are also by Whirlpool. None are the same quality as older units. Thanks for your ideas.
I'm sure they do
Old 07-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #6

05 Dynasty refer cabinet header

Hi Folks,

I need to replace the norcold in our 05 Dynasty. I have a drawer (that my wife must keep) under the refer. A Fisher Paykel will fit my cabinet IF I remove the 5+ inch cabinet header above the current refer. I'm guessing that that header is glued and probably pocket screwed in place.

Question, will removing that cabinet header critically weaken the entire refer cabinet since there will no longer be a top portion of the cabinet?
Thanks, Bob
Old 07-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrankin View Post
Hi Folks,
Question, will removing that cabinet header critically weaken the entire refer cabinet since there will no longer be a top portion of the cabinet?
Thanks, Bob

I doubt it would weaken the cabinet. My box did not have a header on mine and I completely removed the shelf to be able to lower the fridge as much as possible. I clear the furnace by ~1/2"
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Folks,

I need to replace the norcold in our 05 Dynasty. I have a drawer (that my wife must keep) under the refer. A Fisher Paykel will fit my cabinet IF I remove the 5+ inch cabinet header above the current refer. I'm guessing that that header is glued and probably pocket screwed in place.

Thanks, Bob
I had to do exactly that with our Alpine Coach. While not a Monaco it was built to the same very high standards and I'd be very surprised if it didn't come out rather easily.

I'm guessing that when you get in there the side walls are both supported at the ceiling (as ours were) and the cabinet is still very strong after the modification for our residential fridge.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #9

THANK YOU! Jim and Paul, I will now charge ahead in setting things up for a this fall install......it's about 102F here today.............too hot for me......
Cheers
Bob
Old 07-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #10

But will the sub floor above the drawer be strong enough to support the new fridge? My cavity was built for a residential fridge and I am lowering the sub floor to accommodate a taller fridge . The construction in my unit included those screws as well as glue and staples. Removing the header will be much easier than removing the drawer.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Folks,
Thanks, Bob
I needed an extra 5 1/2" of height to fit a Samsung RF18. I trimmed 2 1/2" from the upper header in place and then sanded it smooth. I could have removed 4" from the upper header, but at some point the fridge is too high off the floor and it's difficult to reach things.
I also reduced the size of the lower drawer 2 5/8". It's fully functional and even looks original.
I built a new refrigerator floor from 3/4" oak plywood.

It's subjective but if I do this again, I will reduce the size of the drawer even further (or eliminate it and add it back above the fridge) to lower the refrigerator even more.

Detailed install:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sam...re-356096.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drawer under refrigerator.jpg
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	294907  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
But will the sub floor above the drawer be strong enough to support the new fridge? My cavity was built for a residential fridge and I am lowering the sub floor to accommodate a taller fridge . The construction in my unit included those screws as well as glue and staples. Removing the header will be much easier than removing the drawer.
My Samsung RF19 fridge is mounted 7-1/2" above the finished floor, on the shelf above the drawers, which wasn't lowered. They put short 2x4 'legs' under it for support.
The top of the fridge is about <2" from the ceiling.
I'm 6' tall and reaching the back of the top shelf in the fridge is a stretch.
If I were installing a fridge, I'd lower the shelf and bring it down as close to the floor as practical.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 07-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #13

DARN....................... :-)
NOW you guys have me COMPLETELY rethinking this.............
(how am I going to sell the DW on no drawer........... first world problems.....)
Thanks
Bob
Old 07-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
DARN....................... :-)
NOW you guys have me COMPLETELY rethinking this.............
(how am I going to sell the DW on no drawer........... first world problems.....)
Thanks
Bob
Well....That should be easy enough....just let her understand that a "working" refrigerator is better then one you can't rely on... I'm in the middle of getting my RV/Residential swap underway. We just read your post and I asked my wife what was more important...the drawer... or the new refrigerator ? The drawer is being removed....
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge