Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #1

Retract jacks question

I have a 2008 monaco diplomat skq, the manual says to retract leveling jack: to turn on switch, set park brake, turn on remote panel, momentarily press the All Jacks Retract button. If retracting in manual mode, the All Jacks button must be held down until the Jacks Down LED goes out, when it goes out the jacks should be retracted. Today I hit the All Jacks Retract button and it dropped like a rock. Hopeful I didn't break anything. Any ideas on why this happened or should I air up before hitting the retract button?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

First, identify the make and model of your leveling jack system. If it is HWH brand, this will help with identification. https://hwhcorp.com/ml17785_01_nom_pr_lesy.pdf
Short answer, yes the coach will drop suddenly when full retract is pressed. The coach weight plus the pull of the springs retract the jacks very quickly until the coach drops onto the bump stops inside the air springs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'll usually start my rig before retracting the jacks. Since the rig has to be at ride height to bring in the slides it seems to work better doing it that way.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:12 PM   #4

I always retract slides in the same configuration as I extended them.
I usually try to connect piwer, then auto level, which on mine dumps the air suspension first then levels. So I retract slides before storing jacks and disconnecting power then starting eng to air up prior to leaving.

Best advice is ALWAYS to find and follow what the MH Mfg recommends.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #5

retract jacks

the name I find is Power Gear Electronic Leveling, that is the name on top of leveling pad. It is a hydraulic leveler with the 3 jack system. The manual does not state to air up first, but I am wondering about airing up first like jacwjames does. On this model manual instructs slides out before leveling, then when leaving jacks up before bringing in slides. Must be aired up before retracting slides. It dropped so hard I thought I may break something.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #6
YC1

Same model and yr except ours is the Endeavor.

Yep, it is startling.

Air up and the jacks won't be touching when you begin to raise them.

Slides in OR out always on air.

Sometimes I use the manual retract while not quite aired up because it does speed up the action for sure. But if you hit the all retract without putting it in the manual mode it will indeed drop like a rock.

So let this be a lesson for safety. You know how quickly it can drop so never ever be under the coach without safety devices in place when the jacks are extended or air in the system.

Air loss can make it drop quickly but jacks can come down so fast you cannot get out of the way.

Jacks can (be told) to retract for various reasons. Manually, automatically, or if it senses an emergency such as putting the vehicle in gear with the jacks down. It will howl and retract the jacks quickly.

Water intrusion in the ECM for the transmission can fake it out and make them retract.

So always be concerned that the jacks can come up for no reason.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the answers, I will definitely air up before retracting jacks in the future. The manual also says to retract manually, hit and hold the all jacks retract button until the jacks down LED goes out instead of hitting it momentarily. I assume that would retract more slowly.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
YC1

Manual or automatic retraction is fine when you air up first. Automatic is much easier.

And here is an exerpt on auto leveling.

Automatic Leveling
The automatic function of the leveling system should only engage when the site is relatively level and solid to prevent excessive twist/stress to the frame. It is essential that there is no movement in the motorhome prior to and during the automatic leveling process.

I prefer manual leveling 98 percent of the time. The coach will often get higher than needed when in the automatic mode.

And there is a calibration procedure for the leveling system that should be done once a year or so.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I retract my slid before returning my jack to the home position. I do not start my engine until the jacks are off the ground. I have air bags that would be inflated too much with the jacks up.

I turn on the ignition to on and the switch on the hwh control panel to on. I slowly pull both Handel's to center so it does not drop to fast. Then I leave them in the center. With my hwh system it takes a minute or so for the springs to fully retract the jacks. In cold weather when the fluid is thicker it might take 2-5 minutes.

Once the jacks are off the ground. I will start the engine to air up, even if I waiting for the jacks to travel the last inch or so.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:46 AM   #10
YC1

Bestins, our owners manual says in short. Slides in and out on air. That is, only retract the slides when the bags are full and only extend them when the bags are full.

Then deploy or retract the jacks. The air floats the house level so it won't twist running slides in or out. You can get some nasty tweaking with the jacks so moving jacks in and out when the "house" is not level/twisted can cause some issues.

I'm adding this to show there are different recommendations for various RV's so be sure to follow your owners manuals.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep ours the air needs to be dumped before putting down the jacks.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Leveling jacks

I keep this list in my 04 Monaco PDQ because it is so different than other manufactures.
I highlighted remove slide locks, bad if you don't, causes a lot of work later.
Happy Camping and God Bless..

Setting Camp putting out slides

Put in neutral set parking brake shut off engine and ignition.
REMOVE SLIDE LOCKS.
Take out all the stuff from the basement compartments that is needed.
Extend the slides.
Dump air. (Feathering the brake pedal to bleed off air pressure to below 60 PSI greatly speeds up dumping.)
Turn on ignition (don't start the engine, or it will just pump up the air bags.)
Operate jacks to level.
Turn off ignition relax.
Knock the top off a cold one.

Breaking Camp putting slides in

Start engine to build up air pressure.
Retract jacks.
Get air pressure to 120 PSI, shut down engine.
Stop engine, turn off ignition.
Retract slides.
Add slide locks.
Put stuff in cargo bins check site for any items lock cargo doors start engine drive off.
shoshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:19 PM   #13

If I hit any retract single jack or retract all with no air in the suspension bags, mine give an awful bang. My owners manual for my 2004 HR Neptune says to set up camp, dump the air tank (engine off), lower jacks till level (now with ignition on but motor off). Have to turn ignition off (again) to operate the slides. When breaking camp I retract the slides first, then start the motor and let the air bags fill. As soon as I feel the coach start to lift, I then hit “Retract all” switch until the alarm stops ringing and the red jack light goes out. No big bang this way. Soon as the air pressure reaches full, I take off. Hopfully I unpluged and hooked, stowed all my stuff, of course.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks