Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Reverse Polarity in front bay relays

I have Reverse Polarity in the front bay relays. See attached picture and the green wires are reverse polarity. The ICC relay is what I'm working on but all green wires in this front bay are reverse Polarity. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse Polarity in front bay.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	302069  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #2

How are you determining that they are reverse polarity ?

Every relay will have a ground wire, and green may be the color.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
twinboat took the words out of my mouth.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
How are you determining that they are reverse polarity ?

Every relay will have a ground wire, and green may be the color.
OK, Thanks for the quick reply. This is crazy. I have continuity from the green wire to ground. Then when I check voltage I get neg 13.4. (I'm plugged in). Any thoughts?
More Info: I have checked the green wire both connected and not connected to the ICC relay...the same -13.4 voltage and continuity to ground. If I plug into the relay 87a post (normally closed) I get .5 volt. and 87 (normally open) I get -13.4.
I have tried this with a replacement relay also. Same results.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

You may have lost the actual ground connection of the green wire at its other end.
Ground or negetive should go to #86.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #6

Are your leads are plugged into your meter backwards ?
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You may have lost the actual ground connection of the green wire at its other end.
Ground or negetive should go to #86.

All grounds listed in my wiring diagrams are white. All greens, Brown, yellow, red, are power. I will have to get a helper tomorrow and see if I'm turning on any tail lights when I check the voltage. (the green is listed as going to the relay for the tail lights

What is happening is when I turn on the lights, the head lights stay on even when I shut them off. I have unplug J12 on the VIP Wheel controller to shut them off. Cycling the headlight switch on and off does not shut them off as it should when they come on with the wipers. Or otherwise. I also have lost my top clearance lights both front and back....This sucks.

I'm open to anyone's thoughts here.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Are your leads are plugged into your meter backwards ?
Nope checked that and checked the meter on my battery. it's correct.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #9
YC1

If your battery ground cable (house batteries) is not connected or the switch is not turned on at the battery cable area it is possible to see a reversed voltage but it would be a path through components and not have enough power to actually run anything.

Put a test light on that and see if the voltage drops.

Have you done any work in the battery compartment? Use a battery jumper cable and connect the negative post of each bank of batteries for a temporary test. This should eliminate a bad ground from the coach batteries.

Is there anything you have not told us that you think is not important? What have you been working on for example.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
All grounds listed in my wiring diagrams are white. All greens, Brown, yellow, red, are power. I will have to get a helper tomorrow and see if I'm turning on any tail lights when I check the voltage. (the green is listed as going to the relay for the tail lights

What is happening is when I turn on the lights, the head lights stay on even when I shut them off. I have unplug J12 on the VIP Wheel controller to shut them off. Cycling the headlight switch on and off does not shut them off as it should when they come on with the wipers. Or otherwise. I also have lost my top clearance lights both front and back....This sucks.

I'm open to anyone's thoughts here.
This is what I'm working on. (Above) I didn't get a helper today because the wind is blowing 40+ where I'm at so I didn't touch it. I'm working on my VIP smart wheel. I'm thinking I have either a short or bad ground in the coach wiring to do with the VIP smart wheel. I will use a test light tomorrow and measure for any voltage drop.

Thank you Guys!

Tim
Old 09-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #11

Could it just be the inverter charging the batteries? Using those grounds as an additional pathway?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Update I thought I was going to a large ground when it was positive,

I still haven't been able to figure out why my headlights stay unless I unplug J12 from the VIP controller. And I still don't have my top clearance lights both front and back. The wind started blowing 40+ about 11:00 AM. so maybe tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #13

Do you have any schematics, wiring diagrams or links to such?
Maybe this will help?
EDIT: The PC Series here is the only one with a P12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VIP Wheel controller.png
Views:	23
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	302384  
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
YC1

Thanks for sharing. I know it can be a bit red faced at times but it helps laughing at it and knowing it is a tool in your brain box that will come in handy again and again.

I built a "ground test lead" to make sure I have a good ground at all times. I'm tired of getting stuffed into the "boo box" by not having a solid connection.

An ordinary three prong plug with just one wire coming out connected to the ground leg, an inline fuse holder and small fuse (5 amps for example), and an alligator clip on the end. This setup allows me to plug into any outlet nearby or at a distance and connect to my voltmeter OR test light.

When I need to ground something I can do it safely using the fused (ground lead).

I have been busted by those large binding posts in the front run bay too many times. Dymo labels are my friend. I hate to repeat the same mistakes, but alas I do.

No on to the real problem.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
relays