Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 02:30 AM   #71

RF 18 Automatic Door Catch Install

It’s a simple and effective solution. Jim and many others in this forum are creative and provide many solutions to our legacy Monaco coaches. Jim thanks again buddy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I use this and strap the doors with a Velcro strap.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3774.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	253508
Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I use this and strap the doors with a Velcro strap.Attachment 253508
You missed the whole point of this thread. Automatic is the key word here. Most of us have used at least one other method to secure the doors but they all require you to remember to put them in place. In my case the wife would come behind me and open the frig and fail to replace the gadget. The latch system described in this thread does not require you to do anything expect close the door. We have had several folks complain they did not like the firm action required to close the frig door and removed the SouthCo latches and went back to what ever method they were using. They wanted the door to close with no effort and seat down on the magnetic seal. To each his own. I personally like to feel the positive latch of the door.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
You are correct I missed the whole point, I hate when that happens.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
You missed the whole point of this thread. Automatic is the key word here. Most of us have used at least one other method to secure the doors but they all require you to remember to put them in place. In my case the wife would come behind me and open the frig and fail to replace the gadget. The latch system described in this thread does not require you to do anything expect close the door. We have had several folks complain they did not like the firm action required to close the frig door and removed the SouthCo latches and went back to what ever method they were using. They wanted the door to close with no effort and seat down on the magnetic seal. To each his own. I personally like to feel the positive latch of the door.

Bob

Hey Bob,

You brought up a good point as to personal preference regarding the amount of effort required to open the fridge doors, or freezer drawer.... I can't remember if it has been discussed before on this thread or not, but Southco offers these latches with a 10lb pull rating, and also 5lb pull rating. They are the same latch with different internal spring ratings. This allows each individual to "tune" the latch to their own personal preference.

Both versions are available on Amazon. (The C3-810 is 10lb version, and the C3-805 is the 5lb version.)

Hope this helps,

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Jim's system is the bomb. He was nice enough to fix me up with his SouthCo latch kit.

When the bottom drawer (freezer) on my RF18 is opened, two little pusher tabs protrude against the fridge as the handle is pulled. Actually, the handle lifts slightly when pulled, engaging the pushers. So opening the freezer is no concern with with the 10 lb SouthCo latch.

As a side note, my wife is a great packer. She can get 20lbs in a 15lb container. In other words, the freezer is maxed out. Went around one turn and drawer came open. I told her to sit still as another turn the opposite way was coming.

Next item on my list is to see if a 20lb SouthCo is available, because packing lighter is not an option.

Jim certainly knows how to create a solution to an issue when needed. My hat's off to you, Jim.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Jim's system is the bomb. He was nice enough to fix me up with his SouthCo latch kit.

When the bottom drawer (freezer) on my RF18 is opened, two little pusher tabs protrude against the fridge as the handle is pulled. Actually, the handle lifts slightly when pulled, engaging the pushers. So opening the freezer is no concern with with the 10 lb SouthCo latch.

As a side note, my wife is a great packer. She can get 20lbs in a 15lb container. In other words, the freezer is maxed out. Went around one turn and drawer came open. I told her to sit still as another turn the opposite way was coming.

Next item on my list is to see if a 20lb SouthCo is available, because packing lighter is not an option.

Jim certainly knows how to create a solution to an issue when needed. My hat's off to you, Jim.
Those pusher tabs help break the seal I think, making opening the drawer a little easier. Why couldn't you put a couple more southco latches on the jamb?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Elegant solution! Finished installing this on my new Samsung last night and it works like a charm! Thanks again!!
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smhutto View Post
Elegant solution! Finished installing this on my new Samsung last night and it works like a charm! Thanks again!!
Hey Scott,

I'm glad that you like it.

Jim
Old 08-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, I swapped the 10lb SouthCo from right door above with the 5lb freezer drawer latch and all is well. The right door took more effort to open than the left, so choice worked out nicely.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Jim, I swapped the 10lb SouthCo from right door above with the 5lb freezer drawer latch and all is well. The right door took more effort to open than the left, so choice worked out nicely.

Hey Harry,

Always thinking....that’s what I love about all of you guys!

Jim

Tags
cat, door, install