Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

Ride Height ?

Our MH is in for annual service and I had them check the "ride height". I received a call today saying that my ride height was out of spec. What causes the ride height to get out of spec's? Would like forum opinion before I asked service center. Thanks
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Has it ever been checked before? Sometimes they are just not set right from the start. It is the ride height control valves that set the height and that is mechanical and fixed and should not change. If something changes in the suspension the the ride height control valves will keep it at the correct height.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Mike...As far as I know it has never been checked before. The service center said front was off by an 1" on passenger side......rear between 1/2 and 3/4.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

I just think it has not been set up correctly before. For it to change would require one of those ride height control valves to be damaged or to be loose and slip. It might improve your ride some with it adjusted correctly.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #5

Who is checking your ride height and where did they get the spec? I would not trust most dealers to handle this task. Some of the better ones ( Like Guaranty) have Monaco guys that know how to do this. Happy Joe's RV sales would not have a clue!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with moisheh on this one. Call monaco and get the ride heights for your coach. Call the service center and ask them what the ride height specs are and what yours were exactly or better yet, ask them what your ride heights were exactly and then ask them what the specs are. Hope they are treating you right but make sure with two phone calls.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #7

The MH is at Temecula RV. They are an authorized Monaco facility and they did call Monaco to get my ride height spec's. I have been very impressed with their customer service and responses to my questions. Lots of Dynasty's in for service there....also Bluebirds. Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Barlow46.....Good info, what is the Monaco phone number you use. I'd like to make sure of my ride height for a 2002 Diplomat 40DST. Thanks a bunch.
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #9

When I got my rig 02 HR Endeavor 40PBT the ride height was over an inch and a half off from the specs front and rear. I actually had to make another hole in the mount to get the ride height into specs. I work for a major transit provider and our trains use leveling valves that are much like those used on our rigs. They constantly need adjusting to stay in specs, every 6000 hours of operation. But the adjustment is not that much. After looking into it and going over the leveling valve I have come to the conclusion that the ride height was never correct from the factory. They also have changed the specs over the years and where they measure from. Originally it was from the top of the airbag to the bottom, then changed to the H-Frame to The frame rails. So being a mechanic for many years and working with these types of levelers I went from the H-frame to the frame rails. Set to specs my rig rides a bit higher in the front than the back and the ride seems much better once set properly. Play with the settings and find the spot (within and inch or so) that gives the best ride. Once set and the FSD shocks installed I think I have my ride heights where they work the best. Anywhere within that 1 inch of spec should be appropriate.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #10

Its not really that hard to adjust them.... I would be surprised if it takes more then 30 min for a tech to do it. How much are they quoting you?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Nancy View Post
The MH is at Temecula RV. They are an authorized Monaco facility and they did call Monaco to get my ride height spec's. I have been very impressed with their customer service and responses to my questions. Lots of Dynasty's in for service there....also Bluebirds. Thanks for all the input.
Please don't take this the wrong way but if they are an authorized Monaco facility, why would they not have the ride height specs on site instead of having to call Monaco?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #12

Barlow.....They might have had the spec's on site, service writer said he would call Monaco to make sure they had correct spec's. Temecula RV is large repair/service facility that was highly recommended by quite a few RV owners.....so far I am very pleased.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok...that makes sense. I was thinking "tech" and not service writer. Good job if service writer wanted to check it out first. If possible, I always like to talk with the tech about what is going to be done and what specs he is using.