Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
Thanks for the response Mr. D, however, I respectfully disagree, from personal experience as well as simple logic IMHO. Adding air to the air bags (which raises the coach) adds PSI to the bag to accomplish this, as well as volume. It's the same as airing up a tire. The more PSI you put in the tire the harder the tire becomes and the less "flat" it looks, also the harder the ride. The size of the tire determines the volume but not the PSI which is what holds the rim off of the ground even with a very heavy rider. It works just the same on the air bags. You air them up harder to raise the ride height which, in turn gives, a firmer ride. In any event my question was can anyone confirm that 9" is the correct ride height for this coach? Thanks again for your feed back though.
I agree Chuck, I adjusted my ride height 1/2 inch higher and my ride was very rough (like your anology, having to much air in the tires) I called Monaco and got the ride height specs for my 2007 Diplomat. After adjusting the ride height to Monaco's specs we took a 200 mile trip and the ride was very hard. When I got back I called Monaco and found out they gave me the wrong specs. I re-adjusted the ride height lower to the new specs and what a huge difference, so much softer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the feed back folks, I really appreciate it. I'm learning more about the tag. I went to the tag air adjustment valve in the engine bay. That gauge has two sets of numbers, PSI and metric. Someone must have set it to the metric numbers thinking that they were PSI because it was at 55 PSI. According to what I've been reading that should be way too high. I reset it to 40 PSI and will drive it this weekend. I will probably check the load rating for the front axle and weigh that at some point but don't have time right now.
For now I am assuming that the ride height information of 9" from Monaco is correct. I checked it last night and the front 4 are ok. The drive axle was ok on the drivers side but the curb side was an inch low. I will adjust that this afternoon. I am having the alignment done next week. this is mostly to set the caster properly since the coach does seem the track well.
The shocks on this coach look to be original but have so much factory over spray on them I can't tell what brand they are. Cant tell what the original color was or see any labels or writing. I was looking at the front ones though, ill look at the others and see if i have better luck. Any ideas as to what brand Monaco was using in 08' on the Dynasty models? They seem to be ok for now, not excessive rebound, but again, the over all ride is too soft. Maybe the other adjustments will help. I'll think about shocks after I get everything else right.
Thanks again for all the feed back.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
Thanks for all of the feed back folks, I really appreciate it. I'm learning more about the tag. I went to the tag air adjustment valve in the engine bay. That gauge has two sets of numbers, PSI and metric. Someone must have set it to the metric numbers thinking that they were PSI because it was at 55 PSI. According to what I've been reading that should be way too high. I reset it to 40 PSI and will drive it this weekend. I will probably check the load rating for the front axle and weigh that at some point but don't have time right now. For now I am assuming that the ride height information of 9" from Monaco is correct. I checked it last night and the front 4 are ok. The drive axle was ok on the drivers side but the curb side was an inch low. I will adjust that this afternoon. I am having the alignment done next week. this is mostly to set the caster properly since the coach does seem the track well. The shocks on this coach look to be original but have so much factory over spray on them I can't tell what brand they are. Cant tell what the original color was or see any labels or writing. I was looking at the front ones though, ill look at the others and see if i have better luck. Any ideas as to what brand Monaco was using in 08' on the Dynasty models? They seem to be ok for now, not excessive rebound, but again, the over all ride is too soft. Maybe the other adjustments will help. I'll think about shocks after I get everything else right. Thanks again for all the feed back.
Be aware that you should be on a flat, level slab to measure and adjust the ride height. The OEM shocks are Bilsteins. I would be surprised if your OEM shocks are bad. Call Source Engineering and talk to Jim or Scott about your concerns. They are expert in the field of Roadmaster Chassis and they have developed a line of custom valved Bilstein shocks for the various Roadmasters.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Keep in mind the tire pressures recommended are only good if you have the same size and load rating. 110 psi sounds a little high but it's all a guess unless you weigh it.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Also, keep in mind that when you change the pressure regulator setting for the tag, you will need to follow an adjustment sequence. I believe the following is still the correct procedure:

Tag Axle Regulator Adjustment:
The pressure regulator adjustment knob has a positive lock. Pull up on the knob to unlock, push down on the knob to lock. Tighten or turn the knob clockwise to increase air pressure. Loosen or turn the knob counterclockwise to decrease air pressure. When decreasing regulator air pressure, the regulator will release excess air through the regulator discharge port. Each time an increase or decrease of air pressure to the regulator is made an air pressure stabilization procedure will also be performed.
The stabilization procedure equalizes the regulator to hold a constant air pressure setting. To perform the stabilization procedure:
• Start the motorhome and allow the air system to reach a full charge, indicated by the release of air by the air dryer.
• Raise the tag axle using the tag axle switch on the shift panel. Allow approximately 20 seconds for the system to discharge air from the tag axle air bags.
• Lower the tag axle. The regulator will now hold the new air pressure setting.
• Push down on the regulator adjustment knob to lock the setting.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #20

You really should get the correct ride height numbers from Monaco Tech support at mcctech@monacocoach.com

Just provide them with your coach number and they will get back to you. Three weeks ago I requested the numbers for my 2008 Scepter tag and got the number back from them the next day.

Regarding the adjustable tag, as I'm sure others will support. You just can't pick a number out of thin air for the tag pressure setting. Everyone will have different numbers depending on coach loading.
In my tag I run 48 PSI and that gives me 7,500 Lbs of load on the tag. BUT - it took 3 times to weigh the axles to get it set up correctly. As you already know every time you change the tag you load and unload the Drive and more importantly the Steer axle.

Get it on the scales ASAP. Then you will rest assured.

Adam.
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I have an 08 Dynasty 45 foot with ISM. I have read many different and conflicting opinions on tag down pressure on this forum. I was very confused. I called Monaco tech support several years ago and they were not helpful. So I called Newell Coach and spoke to an engineer. He said that I should consider that the weight on each of the two tires of the tag and each of the four tires of the drive axle should be carrying about the same weight. Therefore all six tires carry roughly the same weight.
I set up my tag down pressure to accomplish this goal. After 5 weights over three days; as I drove the unit to assure the changed tag pressure had taken effect.
To further validate the engineers advice; I took my coach to Precision Frame and alignment. Here I had individual wheel weight done by the owner of the shop. I did not tell him about my tag adjustment process.
He remarked that to his surprise, my tag down pressure was set correctly. He stated that most folks come in with tag pressure set incorrectly and usually too low.
I then told him about my conversation with the Newell engineer and how he had validated my information. I have about 4800 lbs on each of the six tires give or take 300 lbs.
At this time I also changed out the original Bilstein shocks with only 15K miles to Koni shocks. The Dynasty now rides great.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsabatinos View Post
I have an 08 Dynasty 45 foot with ISM. I have read many different and conflicting opinions on tag down pressure on this forum. I was very confused. I called Monaco tech support several years ago and they were not helpful. So I called Newell Coach and spoke to an engineer. He said that I should consider that the weight on each of the two tires of the tag and each of the four tires of the drive axle should be carrying about the same weight. Therefore all six tires carry roughly the same weight.
I set up my tag down pressure to accomplish this goal. After 5 weights over three days; as I drove the unit to assure the changed tag pressure had taken effect.
To further validate the engineers advice; I took my coach to Precision Frame and alignment. Here I had individual wheel weight done by the owner of the shop. I did not tell him about my tag adjustment process.
He remarked that to his surprise, my tag down pressure was set correctly. He stated that most folks come in with tag pressure set incorrectly and usually too low.
I then told him about my conversation with the Newell engineer and how he had validated my information. I have about 4800 lbs on each of the six tires give or take 300 lbs.
At this time I also changed out the original Bilstein shocks with only 15K miles to Koni shocks. The Dynasty now rides great.

I would say your bang on Mr. Sabatinos,

In my previous post I said I had 7500 lbs on my tag.....with 48 PSI set on the tag pressure gauge that gave my drive axle a total of 15,000 lbs to share between 4 tires. That would certainly support the theory that the 6 rear should be doing equal worksharing.

I would just reiterate, that the front axle weight can change significantly with small (say +/- 5 PSI changes) to the tag pressure gauge. Only with multiple weighs can one be sure.

Adam
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #23

Setting your tag pressure as described above will be fine as long as you have not put too much weight onto the front steer axle.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #24

we had a lot of problems in this department also- 03 dynasty -- ride height is 9 as everybody here says. the front has only one adjustment for both sides although so we could not get both sides identical . as far as the original post here - the monaco road master is best known for its stiff side to side motion and that is its claim to fame I am sure nothing is affecting this. you just need to try a different chassis and you will see that the roadmaster is the stiffest . but in my book thats about it- rides really hard generally every where else and seems to have vibration had a beaver with the 8 bag chassis and it was good but this 10 bag is different.
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #25

I do not understand all the complaints about rough riding. Our 08 Tag axle Dynasty has always had a nice ride. No roughness. The only mod on the chassis is Michelins up front and Koni's on the front.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote