Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ride Height on 2000 Dyn the New way and Old way

I am posting the measurements of the ride height on our 2000 Dyn, I have always said that the ride height on our 2000 coach should be set according to the old method of measuring from H frame to Main frame and not the Air bag plates. I just got through re setting the ride height the rear is set at 11 inches I set it the old way and checked the air bag height from the top of the bottom flange to the bottom of the top flange it measures 8 inches, the front could not set I have a bad ride height valve but it was in 1/8 to 3/16 low the air bag was also 8 inches, I called Monaco tec and was told to set by using the air bag height but after I gave him my figures he said he didnt know when the procedure of measuring the air bags was supposed to start but it looked like it was 03??
So all you pre 03 Coach owners be aware,
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So, are you saying that for us 'pre 2003' coach owners, we are to measure the distance between the frames, not the actual air bag height?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jim I am not telling you what you need to do but only making the forum aware of what I found out 4 yrs ago but I had lost my notes so I did the ride height check again. If I were you I would check both ways.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Walt....it would be nice to know if there is actually a difference, or did Monaco realize that it was just easier to measure the bags vs the frame. Unless I'm missing something, once you set it by the frame (old way), you should be able to measure the air bags (new way) and use that measurement from that point on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don I think that the newer coaches would have to have a different type air bag because I could not get 11 inches out of my rear bags and it would look like a frog ready to jump, I could use the air bags now but the the old way is easier for me.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Walt
could that be the some older coaches had "double bulge' bags (for lack of a better word) and where hard to get close enough to measure the bag plates without a long reach guage ??? maybe !
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis our previous 99 Diplomat did have the double donut bags but the 2000 dyn does not , it would be almost impossible I think to get 3 more inches out of the rear bags as I have said the rear ride height is 11 inches and the air bags measure 8 inches. I know that your 99 Exe is 9 and 9 , this ride height is confusing especially since Monaco Tec cant furnish any answers that are constant call one week and get one answer and a week later get another. I just know if i use the published ride height chart that came from monaco i will measure from the H frame to the Main frame.

I decided to call Scott Zimmer with Source Engineering as he is one of the old sharp Monaco employes that went into business after Monaco failed.
He said the reason to use the air bags is that they are out side if the frame rail enough that a small mistake multiples. He also told me on my 2000 dyn that he would set it at between 8 1/2 to 9 on the air bag on the front and rear, he said that 8 1/2 inches should be a better ride, I will see.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Walt....What I meant was....if you adjust the ride height the old way and let's say it's 11.5", then the ride height at the bags would be, as an example 8.5". This 8.5" would now be the ride height you check at the bags without crawling underneath.

I found a pair of metal calipers, approximately 8" long that are banana shaped with a pin holding the two banana shaped arms together at one end. I spread then to the width of my ride height and then check my bags. They create a triangle between the pinned end and the opening between the two end points. This way, the bulge in the bags don't get in the way. I have the front RH marked with a Sharpie on one side and the rear RH marked on the other. I just spread the caliper to the ride height width using a tape measure and then check my ride height from the wheel wells.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ok Don you are right that would be a easy way to set it, where did you find the Calipers?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think I found them at Quartzsite. Here is a photo....they come with straight or curved arms. You could easily make one out of scrap metal.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
YC1

I built a couple of templates out of wood. The measurement is written on them. They are like a C but more like the corners squared. Guess I could take a picture of them. Very simple pieces. Don helped me a lot back when I first started trying to figure this ride height thing out. Still haven not had anyone absolutely confirm my valves do not have a centering thingy as mentioned in some directions.

Guess I better check my ride height again since I just changed my shocks. It might be a bit high now.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Don. I see you have to add the plate x 2 to the ride height with the spring caliper.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #13

Thanks Walt......very informative for me...Scott at source knows best...I believe we have the very same chassis
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I built a couple of templates out of wood. The measurement is written on them. They are like a C but more like the corners squared. Guess I could take a picture of them. Very simple pieces. Don helped me a lot back when I first started trying to figure this ride height thing out. Still haven not had anyone absolutely confirm my valves do not have a centering thingy as mentioned in some directions.

Guess I better check my ride height again since I just changed my shocks. It might be a bit high now.
YC I would like to see the pictures of what you built, how do you like your Edge, we recently went from a Equinox to a Edge we love the Edge but had to run a charge line from the coach to it. I don't think your shocks will change the ride height.